93 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

I flippin roast the turkey every year. Don't do anything special to it, because I don't really cook. In the past, I'll stuff it and put it in an oven bag. It usually turns out pretty good. However, this year, someone told me that they put an apple in the cavity and it supposedly turns out so moist. So I did. Nah. Pretty dry. (although I admit, I panicked at the last minute because I wasn't sure whether it was a whole apple or peeled, so I put both and stuffed some onions in too). I need to figure out something different.

I heard from someone else today that their in-laws slow cook their turkey in the oven overnight - don't know what degree or how they prepare it first.

Deep fried turkey is always really good, though.

Deep fried rocks. I did it once with my brother and we over did it a tad, but it was still very juicy.

Apparently the trick to a really moist bird is letting it sit in a brine solution over night before cooking it. I still can't get over how moist the chicken was, and after we ate it we decided to brine the next turkey we cook for the same reason. Just like many other things, preparation is key, the rest is the easy after that.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#32 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

http://www.guardian....ey-matthew-fort

This is the version I'm considering this year. Never tried using brine before, but it seems to have quite a following among the TV chefs over here, so I suppose I will give it a crack one year.

I can't imagine an apple working particularly well - what you really want to use is a citrus fruit to keep it moist. I generally use a lemon, but an orange will do the job. Quarter it, and give each segment a squeeze as you stick them up the bird. I always do this for chicken and turkey, although the turkey takes a lot more work to keep it most. You really want to smother it in butter, and cook it inside foil at a relatively low temperature for about three hours or so, baisting it every 15 minutes. Then take the foil off and whack the temperature up to get the skin nice and golden for the last half hour.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#33 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Once again it's time for our annual holiday of gratitude, when family and friends gather in thanksgiving for each other, for the wonders of nature, for meaningful work, for the chance to make a positive difference in the world.

And, of course, for being primate.

If you haven't yet scripted our million years of shared evolution with monkeys and apes into your holiday plans, there's still time! It's my anthropological pleasure to provide my top 5 reasons why we should give thanks for being primate:

5. Food. Whatever delectables you crave for your Thanksgiving table, there's a primate diet to match. From the fruit- and insect-loving monkeys of South America to the vegetarian apes of Africa, with the occasional carnivorous impulse thrown in, the primate palate is diverse. Monkeys and apes are, though, raw foodists. If cooked food is more your style, remember that the first Homo erectus fire-makers of two million years ago were primates too.

4. Fingers. When you pass the rolls, plucking the best specimen off the top for yourself and popping it into your mouth, you show off a wondrous primate adaptation: the grasping hand. Primates, unlike almost all other mammals, consume food by selecting and processing their desired items with their mobile fingers (and, maybe, even with the aid of hand-crafted tools). Think about it: cats, dogs, horses, elephants, smart as whips they may be, but what do they eat with? Their faces (or face-extensions, like trunks), plunged right into their food. Aren't holiday dining customs more elegant the primate way?

3. Culture. Maybe you like things done just so; if the sweet potatoes aren't made this way and the cranberries that way, it just doesn't seem like Thanksgiving? That's your primate tendency for cultural traditions coming out. The environment shapes behavior to a degree in all species, but sometimes it comes down to "just the way we do things." Chimpanzees often co-exist with smaller primates called bush babies. But only in Senegal do they fashion and use spears to hunt the bush babies out of treeholes. The difference is cultural, a matter of custom. Primates innovate as well as imitate, but tradition counts for a lot.

2. Drama. If you feel a frisson of tension among the relatives crowded around that Thanksgiving table, just take it in stride, that's a primate thing too. Primates are social beings and emotional ones. The baboons I followed around the Kenyan savanna were forever squabbling and status-striving, getting on each other's nerves. Primates keep tallies of who does what to whom and why. It's just our way. While yes, sometimes the drama does result in real violence, most often it does not; the combatants may seek each other out and reconcile, so that their bonds are even stronger than before. Hugs help.

1. Joy. The prime rule of being primate? Family and friends matter, and reunions with them bring excitement — I'll even say joy. From pair bonds in marmosets to kin alliances in macaque troops or gorilla groups, it's more than the edible fruit and flowers that bind individuals together. That's our big-brained, deep-feeling heritage. It's woven through our human minds and our hearts.

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow primates!

http://www.npr.org/b...ate?sc=fb&cc=fp

#34 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Gonna cook Thanksgiving for the very first time tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Can't go into KY since i have to work Friday. so gonna start my own tradition here.
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

#35 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

Just my parents & I for Thanksgiving. My mom, to appease all the other in-laws, has Thanksgiving at her house every other year. The year that she hosts Thanksgiving, we do Christmas at her place on a different day other than Christmas. So this year, we're doing Christmas on Christmas Day at their place. Make sense? I actually think it's a good plan & pleases everyone.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#36 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Prepping now. I am always floored at how much sugar actually goes into stuff when you cook from scratch. Way too much.

#37 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Enjoy your day! I'm going out to eat this year. I actually just won a turkey at work, but since my son and partner aren't real thrilled with turkey and wanted to do something "different", I'm just going to save it for another day and cook it up with all the trimmings and just enjoy it all by myself, then! Anybody have some yummy traditional favorites that they have to have? For me, it's just roast turkey stuffed with herb dressing (made with real croutons, of course), real mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, candied sweet potatoes (a carmelized brown sugar sauce), rolls with butter, olives of course, a pink jello salad (Sweetheart Salad) which my mom always had at Thanksgiving, any kind of vegetable to go with it but usually corn, and pumpkin and pecan pies. And wine. Yummy.

#38 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

Just got done prepping all the food with my wife! We crushed it, just blasted it all out. Tomorrow will pretty much be just putting food in the oven or microwave to cook/warm it up. All the pots and pans have already been washed, the kitchen is clean and the feast is in the fridge. I'm waiting for the brine to cool down now and then I'll pour it over the bird. Then that's it.

#39 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Enjoy your day! I'm going out to eat this year. I actually just won a turkey at work, but since my son and partner aren't real thrilled with turkey and wanted to do something "different", I'm just going to save it for another day and cook it up with all the trimmings and just enjoy it all by myself, then! Anybody have some yummy traditional favorites that they have to have? For me, it's just roast turkey stuffed with herb dressing (made with real croutons, of course), real mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, candied sweet potatoes (a carmelized brown sugar sauce), rolls with butter, olives of course, a pink jello salad (Sweetheart Salad) which my mom always had at Thanksgiving, any kind of vegetable to go with it but usually corn, and pumpkin and pecan pies. And wine. Yummy.

Where are you going out to eat?

#40 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

Notice I left that part out, huh? Sigh.....ok, here goes........we're going out to eat at (drum roll, please)......Cracker Barrel. I was sort of hoping for something a little more, hmm, I don't know - upscale sort of, but I was outvoted and told, "Oh, Cracker Barrel's food is good, like home cooking." I'll let you know. I'm sure it'll be fine.

#41 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! About to get started on the meal here, it's going to be a family cooking affair, never too early for the kids to learn how to cook a holiday meal.

#42 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

We sent our daughter for a sleepover with friends who will cook our Thanksgiving meal today, then went out for a nice meal and are just getting up. We'll set off around 2 and dinner will be waiting for us :)
Show me your dragon magic

#43 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

happy day all,

#44 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hope you're all enjoying yourselves!
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#45 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users