Photo

The Video Game Thread - Formerly The Chinese Democracy Of Video Games.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

September 3 11:11 A.M.

Though the game has been presumed dead so many times you’d need an abacus to keep track, “Duke Nukem Forever” is very much alive – and he’s coming to store shelves soon.
300,191http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/ga/buzz/feature/vg30/duke-nuke-em-forever_300.jpg[/img]
Take Two Interactive Software pulled off one of the video game world’s biggest surprises Friday, announcing not only that the over-a-decade-in-development first person shooter was nearly finished, but backing that claim up by giving the 150,000 people attending the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle the chance to play the game.

The rest of the world will get its chance in 2011 – on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

First announced in 1997, “Duke Nukem Forever” became an annual presence on vaporware lists and a running joke among gamers for its molasses-like development schedule and frequent restarts. A year ago, it appeared the final nail had been hammered into the game’s coffin, when developer 3D Realms ran out of money, let go virtually all of its employees and began a legal war with its publisher, Take-Two Interactive Software.

That suit was settled earlier this year, however. And while 3D Realms is no more, Gearbox Software, the studio behind “Borderlands” and “Brothers in Arms” (and staffed with a number of former 3DR employees), has taken over development on the game.

"Gearbox has enabled die-hard key Duke Nukem franchise builders and skilled veteran game makers to stand together and deliver,” said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. “All gamers deserve a happy ending and after all of us gamers feeling the full range of emotions about Duke Nukem Forever, I am thrilled to be in a position with the trust, power and means to make it happen.”

“Duke Nukem Forever” is, technically, a sequel to 1996’s “Duke Nukem 3D” - though normally a sequel takes no more than three years to put together, while “DNF” started in the Clinton administration.

The game missed ship-date after ship-date, and many began to assume it would never see the light of day. Many pointed to 3D Realms co-founder George Broussard as the reason for the delays – noting that his obsession with perfection for the title resulted in a never-ending cycle of changes.
The bad times are over now, though – and the game is nearing completion. And after 13 long years, some of the industry’s most core fans at PAX have finally gotten to see for themselves if the wait was worth it

http://videogames.ya...-at-pax/1409763

#2 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

This could go either way. It's been gone waaaaaaaaaaaay too long but considering the fact most hardcore gamers are adults and will remember this, it might be a success. It had huge potential in the 90s/early 00s as a major franchise but of course they threw it all away. I don't give a shit about it anymore but will check it out for shits and giggles.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#3 Allard

Allard

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

Nice sharing dude...!!! I'm getting so excited to play this game but when it is launched???

#4 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Not sure . haven't seen them say anything else since that article.

#5 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

Show me your dragon magic

#6 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:49 AM

Comin' out the day after my birthday: http://www.gameinfor...lease-date.aspx
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Anyone playing FALLOUT 4? It is highly addictive.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-02-at-8.07.59-AM.png

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#8 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

Now that I have a new laptop I'm considering trying to get back into gaming. I have went years without playing ANY. Years ago I had a 360 that basically just collected dust and the last pc game I played was Civ 4 which is def one of the greatest games ever made. I'm thinking about buying Civ 5 but I played it a bit when it came out and I hated the changes they made. I'm hoping they improved it with mods/expansion packs.

The graphics on these new games(like Fallout 4 above) are almost TOO realistic. I wish games had been like this in our youth.

I always loved war games(Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Desert Storm,etc.), games like Hitman, Max Payne, GTA, and of course sports games.

IMO Sega Dreamcast is the greatest console ever made. It was simply too far ahead of its time. Its like people couldn't deal with graphics that realistic....blew ps and N64 completely out of the water. You could also surf the net with it. It also had a defect where you'd turn it on but the screen would stay black and never come back on again. I owned two Dreamcasts and it happened to both. Sega killed the console quickly and I have a feeling its because they didn't want to deal with a backlash coming due to this defect.

Anyone here play Duke Nukem Forever? I never got around to it. Like Chinese Democracy, they waited too long to release it. Was the most anticipated game in 99-00 and turned into a popcorn fart.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#9 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

I was an avid gamer when younger but stopped about a decade ago save for the odd iPhone game. Used to like the Zelda and Final Fantasy stuff mostly. If you do want to check out a really mind blowing game I recommend Fallout 4. A huge amount of time an effort went into this and it shows.

#10 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

I've played a lot of games, mostly on PC.  Mostly strategy games, haven't played many shooters.  But I do love the GTA series.  San Andreas has a lot of replay value for me.

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#11 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

Fallout 4 has a shooter component but is so much more than that.

#12 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

I could try it (if I had no kids and some actual free time).  I tend to prefer my games on the dorkier side.  Games get ripped when you shoot cops or run down pedestrians, but no one ever worries that you're killing too many orcs or such shit.

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

Last year we got a retro sit down video game system. It has 60 video games from the 80's including all the greats and some I don't remember at all. I play Ms. Pacman mostly. I still need to order take out pizza and sit down and play it...How 'bout them apples?

I do have a Wii, but haven't had it out in years. 

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#14 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

The fun begins about 2:50.

#15 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

The fun begins about 2:50.

I think this video just sold my wife on it, haha

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users