#1051 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Getting someone to yell "OH JESUS!" is not the same as converting them to Christ.

I would say that that video cut my interest in swinging by about 99%, and not because of the religion angle.

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#1052 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

I'd give a 9.5 for the spin out of the car @ 31 seconds

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#1053 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Arrested Catholic Archbishop’s computer contained over 100,000 images of children

#1054 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

^ Cunt

#1055 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

#1056 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

I've been following this story about a Realtor who was kidnapped while showing a home. I usually don't follow stories like that, but this one bothered me. I liked the "Find Beverly" page on FB and followed the updates. I've had my share of weirdos, and people get angry at me because I requested paperwork from the lender prior to showing a home, or photo ID. But I would not budge. I did once have a couple give me a fake POF letter from the bank, and I didn't become suspicious (they were great liars) until I was alone with them in the house. 

What bothered me the most I guess, was watching her husband talk about his wife. They had been married for 35 years, and it was gut wrenching to see this guy hold his wife's picture. They had a suspect right away, some loser with a lengthy felony record, who looked like the quintessential serial killer to me. White male, late 20's early 30's, just empty, and a facebook page that rambled on about how unfair the world was to him etc. 

Her purse was found in her car, which was still at the house. To me,  that's usually a bad sign. No robbery intent. Just took her somewhere else to kill her. 

I understand people say "Prayers" as a means to convey their sincere wishes that somebody gets better. I also understand that it's just kind of in our collective narrative to say it. Hell, it's on the tip of my tongue when I want to tell somebody I hope everything works out OK. (I bought a guy lunch and gave him money last year, and said "God Bless You" before I drove away. WTF did THAT come from?) Her page was 85% "We are praying" or "God will take care of this." On and on...to the point where I only looked for updates, and didn't really read the posts...since they were all the same. 

As an atheist (on the cusp of agnostic) it just baffles me. Is Jesus really going to save this woman? Jesus didn't stop the man from intervening in her life that evening when she ran off to show a home. God didn't stop anything. Why would Jesus now return her safely to us, now that this monster has done whatever? If Jesus stepped in to stop an atrocity, what about the other millions of people, often children, who are butchered around the world? Did Jesus decide this woman in Arkansas was worth it today, but not them? 

Today the first post I read was that "Jesus wrapped his arms around her and took her home." Heartbreaking to read this, but I was not surprised. All the posts, again...talked about Jesus, she's OK now, she's with God. On and on...

I guess we must all find a way to cope with the random (and often violent) nature of our lives here. I sincerely understand that, but after a while, you just have to admit, Jesus ain't picking up the phone. Nobody is on the other end of the line. 

#1057 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

I just read that they found her, absolutely horrible.

Yeah, I really don't understand how people turn towards religion after losing a loved one, it makes no sense to me at all.

My first love died after a long, painful illness. I just can't imagine believing that any supreme being had any positive reason for inflicting that on anyone.

#1058 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

J, is that you writing this, or did this come from somewhere else?  Initially I thought I was reading something you had copied, but now I"m not sure?

Sister burn the temple

#1059 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

No, I just wrote that. 

#1060 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

I just read that they found her, absolutely horrible.

Yeah, I really don't understand how people turn towards religion after losing a loved one, it makes no sense to me at all.

My first love died after a long, painful illness. I just can't imagine believing that any supreme being had any positive reason for inflicting that on anyone.

The story really bothers me. I see a lot of agents just run out after any phone call. I get it, you want business, you need money, there is a lottery aspect to it. But I'd never do that, mostly because it's a huge time suck and then of course you may get a serial killer. I won't do open houses either, won't even consider it. I'm not going to speculate on how she was lured to that house, because I don't want to say what she should have done etc. It seems disrespectful. Of course there were the "If she had a gun" posts, which yea, fuck you is my response to that.

At my age, I often find myself wondering what this all means. I've known a lot of people who have passed by now, some tragic, some elderly...life in general. But that's what is is to me: Just life. Which really is more puzzling to me than why we check out, or how we check out. It doesn't scare me. It may baffle me, but it doesn't frighten me. And more than anything I don't need to believe in some supernatural force to get me through it. It's obvious we're strapped in for the ride for whatever reason. At this point, I expect that just about anything can and will happen...and it does. I still understand why people fall back on Jesus (or whoever is trendy) to "get them through" hard times, but I just can't myself. 

#1061 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

One of the Duggar Fuckwits Blames the Holocaust on the Theory of Evolution

#1062 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

Home school disaster. Aren't there any type of standards that apply to home schoolin'? Or can we just teach them anything?

#1063 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Freedom78's Home Schoolin' Schedule

8:00 - 11:00 --- "Don't Wake Up Daddy"

11:00 - 12:00 --- "Make Your Own Damn Lunch, I'm Hungover"

12:00 - 1:00 --- "Shouldn't You Be Napping?"

1:00 - 2:00 --- "Beer Fetchin' 101"

2:00 - 3:00 --- "You Better Fuckin' Clean That Up!"

3:00 - 4:00 --- "The Reversal of Class Roles and Imperialism: A Marxist Critique of Mr. Belvedere"

4:00 - 4:52 --- "JUST PLAY QUIETLY!"

4:52 - 5:00 --- "Shit, mom's coming home.  Hurry and pick shit up!"

Sister burn the temple

#1064 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

I think you forgot Sewin', Breadmakin', and "How to stop yer uterus from fallin' out".

#1065 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Beer fetchin'!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users