959 replies to this topic

#1 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

I don't know if anyone catches the Guardian articles on women/feminism? Excellent, well thought-out pieces.

Feminism's Global Challenge: With One Voice

Two-thirds of children denied school are girls, 64% of the world's illiterate adults are women, 41m girls are still denied a primary education, 75% of civilians killed in war are women and children, causing Major-General Patrick Cammaert, the former UN peacekeeping commander in the Democratic Republic of Congo, to declare in 2008: "It is now more dangerous to be a woman than a soldier in modern conflict."

What Does The F-word Mean Today

Feminism and popular culture.

#2 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:49 AM

Someone has to make the sandwiches
Show me your dragon magic

#3 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Someone has to make the sandwiches

That's very true. My husband makes excellent sandwiches! Posted Image

#4 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

i make sammies for sexual favoursPosted Image

#5 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

i make sammies for sexual favoursPosted Image

Do you have a take out menu?

#6 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

depends............

#7 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

I don't know if anyone catches the Guardian articles on women/feminism? Excellent, well thought-out pieces.

Feminism's Global Challenge: With One Voice

Two-thirds of children denied school are girls, 64% of the world's illiterate adults are women, 41m girls are still denied a primary education, 75% of civilians killed in war are women and children, causing Major-General Patrick Cammaert, the former UN peacekeeping commander in the Democratic Republic of Congo, to declare in 2008: "It is now more dangerous to be a woman than a soldier in modern conflict."

What Does The F-word Mean Today

Feminism and popular culture.

Interesting articles. I wish today's younger women would take more interest in feminist issues. I see a lot of complacency. Is it just the conservative area I live in or are others finding the same thing in other parts of the U.S.A.?

#8 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:09 AM

I agree in terms of complacency. Younger women especially seem to be perfectly fine being treated like crap by their male counterparts. Or at least that is how it appears to me.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#9 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

I also see a lot of complacency, but then I live in a conservative area too. Many women also don't get the concept of feminism. When I think of feminism I think of equality, but I have heard so many people locally denounce feminism as they ignorantly identify it as misandry. I also see that any of the younger generation who show an interest in women's isues is automatically labelled a lesbian. Why should that matter at all? It's as if we have moved 2 steps forward, and 4 steps back.

#10 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp4t5NYzVM&feature=player_embedded]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp4t5NYzVM&feature=player_embedded[/url]

#11 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp4t5NYzVM&feature=player_embedded]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp4t5NYzVM&feature=player_embedded[/url]

Interesting vid and a nice use of the 007 mythos to make a point.

I do find some of the arguments in it problematic or disingenuous, though. Women could have perfect equality and, still, that sexual assault stat isn't going to even out. I reject the notion (as some schools of feminism do, and others do not) that "equal" means "same" or that gender roles have to disappear. But, living in a country well behind in things like maternity leave, it's also apparent that our notions of gender roles can be too restrictive.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#12 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

I do find some of the arguments in it problematic or disingenuous, though. Women could have perfect equality and, still, that sexual assault stat isn't going to even out. I reject the notion (as some schools of feminism do, and others do not) that "equal" means "same" or that gender roles have to disappear. But, living in a country well behind in things like maternity leave, it's also apparent that our notions of gender roles can be too restrictive.

Who knows what needs to happen to effect change with regard to sexual assault. And I absolutely agree that working towards equality does not mean elimination of gender roles.

#13 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

not to change the subject but dang daniel is a looker even dressed as a woman

#14 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

Who knows what needs to happen to effect change with regard to sexual assault. And I absolutely agree that working towards equality does not mean elimination of gender roles.

I seriously don't think anything will ever effectively change regarding sexual assault. Society (bad, early family life in particular) creates the kinds of people who become overly aggressive, selfish, user, sociopathic personalities who commits those kinds of crimes and few people are willing to pay for the kind of programs that can identify and treat at-risk kids early on to turn things around significantly for them individually and for society as a whole. Of course, neo-cons will say all they need is pray back in the schools. Posted Image

#15 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

I seriously don't think anything will ever effectively change regarding sexual assault. Society (bad, early family life in particular) creates the kinds of people who become overly aggressive, selfish, user, sociopathic personalities who commits those kinds of crimes and few people are willing to pay for the kind of programs that can identify and treat at-risk kids early on to turn things around significantly for them individually and for society as a whole. Of course, neo-cons will say all they need is pray back in the schools. Posted Image

Sorry, totally disagree. Evolutionary pressure is the reason for sexual assault - we are driven by sex and survival. Males are bigger/stronger and generally their 'best' reproductive strategy is to have as many mates as possible. This urge is tempered by other evolutionary pressures (cooperation etc) but I strongly believe this forms society rather than the other way round. I'm pretty sure sexual assault has been rife through all history and virtually all cultures/societies.

We will probably need either women to evolve to equal strength and/or some kind of authoritarian matriarchal government with strong disincentives to effectively eliminate sexual assault, but even then it wouldn't eliminate the urge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users