28 replies to this topic

#1 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Remarkably funny, moving, and probably as gifted with dialogue as Tarantino - what are your favorite Allen films?
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#2 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

Never have like allen.

#3 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Allen at his best is an amazing thing - but he can be a bit hit and miss. Annie Hall and Manhattan are both fantastic. Really enjoyed Bullets Over Broadway as well. But I haven't been a big fan of the other stuff of his I've seen. Zelig was impressive, but really dull.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#4 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I loved woody when he did comedies. I am a bit so so about most of his other stuff. it would be interesting to have him do a comedy after all these years.

#5 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

Just saw You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger - really good, Josh Brolin continues to impress.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#6 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Never have like allen.

You should check out Match Point - a lot of critics and fans have called it his "comeback" film.

I loved woody when he did comedies. I am a bit so so about most of his other stuff. it would be interesting to have him do a comedy after all these years.

You should get your wish this summer Posted Image

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605783/

A romantic comedy about a family traveling to the French capital for business. The party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own is better.

#7 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

meh....

#8 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Remarkably funny, moving, and probably as gifted with dialogue as Tarantino - what are your favorite Allen films?

Haven't seen them for decades but the early surreal stuff: Bananas, Take the Money and Run, and Sleeper. Don't like the newer angsty stuff for the most part.
Show me your dragon magic

#9 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hannah, Zelig, B'way Danny Rose, Radio Days, Annie Hall.... Play It Again Sam (he *only* wrote it, I know) Love Take the Money and Run. The very first Woody picture I ever saw - I came in in the middle of What's Up Tiger Lily? On TV and couldn't believe my delighted eyes! Manhattan looks great but I don't like the old-man fantasy angle... script wise I think it's one of his worst. My middle daughter loves Manh Murder Mystery, so I do too.

He is hugely accomplished and elegant and understated technically & he doesnt' get any credit for that. Thinking esp of Hannah and her sisters -- look how the camera moves through that apartment. it's goingto be rough when he stops making films. I love him.

Hey I dont have time to look all over from Monroe to Angeline for the youtube section here, but here is something nice, Bruce and a gorgeous Prove It All Nite in Passaic NJ in 1978.

#10 MrsBrisby

MrsBrisby

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

I love the movie Sweet and Lowdown Sean Penn is awesome in it.

#11 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Um.....I believe I've only seen Annie Hall & honestly, I don't remember any of that movie. Sorry!
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#12 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hannahe is a good movie.
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#13 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

Woody's newest is getting rave reviews, his best since 2000 - can't wait for this bad-boy to drop this weekend:

http://www.rottentom...night_in_paris/

#14 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

The whole pedophilia/incest thing with him fucking his daughter sort of turned me off to Allen

#15 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

The whole pedophilia/incest thing with him fucking his daughter sort of turned me off to Allen

Ditto. I just don't feel right financially supporting someone like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users