20 replies to this topic

#1 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

I've got an aspirational list of drinks I'd like to try at some point during my life, but price is a much bigger barrier with booze than it is with food!

I hope to tick most of these off, but I'll need to save up my pennies, as they're all ridiculously expensive:

At least one first-growth Bordeaux (preferably Chateau Lafite Rothschild, simply because I like it's name the best)

At least one other prestige wine (a Petrus, or a Cheval-Blanc, or a Domaine de la Romanee-Cont)

All these top champagnes (Krug, Cristal, Dom Perignon)

A bottle of Chateau d'Yquem

Remy Martin's Louis XIII Cognac

Any recommendations/desires - what you got?
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

I'd like to try some top notch champagnes. When I actually spend a little (i.e. $30+) I find it a very nice drink. I'm sure there are many great single malts out there that I've yet to try. And probably hundreds of incredible beers.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

I've got through a helluva lot of beer, but far too few single malts.

Hoping to get a really nice bottle before the year's out. Something like this:

http://www.thewhisky...com/P-9910.aspx

I'd also like to try a few famous cocktails. I never really buy them at bars, but it'd be a shame to never have an Old Fashioned or a Rusty Nail or something like that.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#4 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Yah know, I am from the school of thought that a whiskey matures in 8-10 years. Once past maturity, the tannins start to become more noticeable... especially up around 15- 18 years. Though, I have been known to favor a few 12 year olds,(get your mind out of the gutter, T).

#5 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Have you guys had absinthe? I tried some recently, and honestly thought it was very medicinal in flavor.

#6 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

I've had it. It is my understanding that the stuff made these days isn't made from wormwood and that is why it is again legal in the US???

#7 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'd also like to try a few famous cocktails. I never really buy them at bars, but it'd be a shame to never have an Old Fashioned or a Rusty Nail or something like that.

Sex on the Beach Posted Image
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#8 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Not Sex on the Beach - I have no desire for 'girly' cocktails! Never had absinthe, but it's because I've always assumed it'd be like Zimbo suggested - mediciney. The amount of alcohol involved intrigues me, but aniseed's really not my thing.

#9 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:15 AM

Have you guys had absinthe? I tried some recently, and honestly thought it was very medicinal in flavor.

Saw an interview with Lemmy. He said when he drank it, he ended up pooping in somebody's closet and then running through the hotel lobby naked at 7 am. Sounds awesome if you ask me.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#10 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

I've always thought absinthe was some crazy hardcore alcoholic's drink - maybe because Marilyn Manson makes it - but didn't know anything about what it tasted of. This aniseed mention however, has me intrigued. Ah, I feel so uncultured with all you food and booze experts around here.
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#11 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

Saw an interview with Lemmy. He said when he drank it, he ended up pooping in somebody's closet and then running through the hotel lobby naked at 7 am. Sounds awesome if you ask me.

This is similar to my experience.

I had it a few years ago. Imported bottle, so not the wormwood-less US versions they're selling now. Strong, clean flavor of anise. Good stuff.

So...closet pooping? Yes. But worth it.

I've got through a helluva lot of beer, but far too few single malts.

Hoping to get a really nice bottle before the year's out. Something like this:

http://www.thewhisky...com/P-9910.aspx

Laphroaig is a pretty hardcore malt. I've only had the ten, but would like to taste something older to see how it mellows from the powerful flavors of its youth.
Sister burn the temple

#12 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

Ah, I feel so uncultured .

Well you are Scottish, so it can't be a new experience :P
Show me your dragon magic

#13 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

That's it.

I'm opening a business and posting a "NO ENGLISH" sign.

Of course, I'll probably just end up catering to the Latin crowd because the sign is confusing.
Sister burn the temple

#14 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Laphroaig is a pretty hardcore malt. I've only had the ten, but would like to taste something older to see how it mellows from the powerful flavors of its youth.

Yeah - I've had the 10 too. One of the reasons why I fancy getting an older one. Was initially after the 15-year-old, but after doing some reading around, I think I fancy its replacement a bit more.

Keen to try more whiskies anyway. Generally only drink at the end of a good meal in a restaurant, but it's nice to be able to just pull one out of the cabinet. Persuaded my dad to dig out a bottle of Glen Moray last night, which went down very well!

#15 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

That's it.

I'm opening a business and posting a "NO ENGLISH" sign.

Of course, I'll probably just end up catering to the Latin crowd because the sign is confusing.

Call it "fragosus defero"
Show me your dragon magic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users