51 replies to this topic

#31 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

LMAO! I'm not even kidding when I say that my husband's butt is so tiny and tight that it would take the gravitational pull of 10 moons to make it sag. Would that I could say the same for my own. :( ::sigh:: Some of us age well, some of us, not so much. Well, at least in the butt department.

#32 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

I'd go with the close-up as well. What a nice guy your husband sounds like in your essay! One little suggestion though. In the first sentence of the third paragraph, you should clarify what The Little Prince is. (His first gift to me was The Little Prince, which he inscribed, “I know a flower – I think she must have tamed me.”) At first I thought you were talking about the kitten and I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out how you inscribe a kitten, on the collar? Maybe say instead: "His first gift to me was a DVD of The Little Prince........" just to prevent someone at Redbook from getting confused the way I did. (I had to google The Little Prince to figure out what you were talking about.)

#33 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the compliment and the feedback, Whistler's Momma. It's a book, actually. I'll try to figure out a way to clarify that, if possible. It may just have to stay as is, though, since I'm at exactly 200 words, so adding a word somewhere means having to delete one somewhere else. It's hard to limit the description of your husband's hotness to 200 words. :)

#34 emeraldmaiden

emeraldmaiden

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the compliment and the feedback, Whistler's Momma. It's a book, actually. I'll try to figure out a way to clarify that, if possible. It may just have to stay as is, though, since I'm at exactly 200 words, so adding a word somewhere means having to delete one somewhere else. It's hard to limit the description of your husband's hotness to 200 words. :)

Either italicize the title, or put it in quotes.

#35 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Okay, new version. . .

The first time I “saw” my husband was in a photo, decked out in climbing gear on a mountainside. The first time I saw my husband in person, he had just arrived in Amsterdam for St. Patrick’s Day weekend, wearing his motorcycle “leathers”, carrying his helmet under his arm. Hot? Oh, my!

But as I learned that weekend, he’s not hot because he’s good-looking, he’s hot because he’s the complete package. I fell in love with him from across the room, watching him interacting with other people, seeing him take genuine interest in what they said, and beaming the warmest smile I’d ever seen. Our first kiss was on a canal boat ride, and it’s been a beautiful journey ever since.

His first gift to me was the book, The Little Prince, which he had lovingly inscribed, “I know a flower – I think she must have tamed me.” He moved halfway around the world to give me the life I’ve always dreamed of; from little things like turning down my side of the bed, to big; like letting me spend the bulk of our savings on home renovations so we’d qualify to become Foster Parents. That’s my definition of hot!

Still exactly 200 words. Better?

#36 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

^^I need to drink more often.

#37 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Okay, new version. . .

The first time I “saw” my husband was in a photo, decked out in climbing gear on a mountainside. The first time I saw my husband in person, he had just arrived in Amsterdam for St. Patrick’s Day weekend, wearing his motorcycle “leathers”, carrying his helmet under his arm. Hot? Oh, my!

But as I learned that weekend, he’s not hot because he’s good-looking, he’s hot because he’s the complete package. I fell in love with him from across the room, watching him interacting with other people, seeing him take genuine interest in what they said, and beaming the warmest smile I’d ever seen. Our first kiss was on a canal boat ride, and it’s been a beautiful journey ever since.

His first gift to me was the book, The Little Prince, which he had lovingly inscribed, “I know a flower – I think she must have tamed me.” He moved halfway around the world to give me the life I’ve always dreamed of; from little things like turning down my side of the bed, to big; like letting me spend the bulk of our savings on home renovations so we’d qualify to become Foster Parents. That’s my definition of hot!

Still exactly 200 words. Better?

That's a great improvement! You are one lucky woman. I like that you've zeroed in on the fact that hotness isn't all about looks. (Although he's certainly got that going for him too.) Good luck with the contest.

#38 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

Thank you, WM!

I posted some new options in my facebook album. . .

https://www.facebook...8040262 (cute, but not so much "hot"?)
https://www.facebook...8040262 (I love this one, but it's kind of blurry and the white tshirt makes his teeth look a little yellow (wish I had photoshop to fix it)
https://www.facebook...8040262 (a little too "come hither"?)
https://www.facebook...8040262 (handsome, but is he "hot" here? I need objective opinions, since clearly mine doesn't count.)

I'm asking others because if the editors pick Thomas to be in their top 25, it'll be random people on the interwebs who'll get to vote, so this is like an early edition of that, so to speak.

#39 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

jill out of these 4 I like the come hither but I don't get come hither, I get direct and confident, this is a nice picture. the problem with picking pictures is a tough one. my kid used to do commercials when she was young and picking the head shots were almost always left up to the pro's. like you said some pics look great on a mantle, but you want a picture that conveys hot and sexy without being too in your face. a tough balance.

#40 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, Hula, I appreciate your feedback!

#41 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

I like the third one the best. In the 1st photo the background is distracting and in the second photo the hat is too out of focus for Redbook to want to reprint. The 4th photo says "happy" to me, not sexy. I'm torn between the 3rd one above and the shot with the kitten you posted earlier.

#42 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

I don't mind if the picture doesn't "look" sexy per se, as I think there's a difference between being "sexy" and being "hot", as in really good-looking. If you look at last year's top 25, a lot of those head shots just look like really happy men with great smiles. That's one of the reasons I'm so torn. I think he looks really smokin' in the kitty picture, but he's not smiling. If any of these pictures were inserted into the "lineup" of last year's top 25, would they stand out among the crowd? Would a stranger say, "oh yeah, this guy -- the motorcycle rider and mountain climber who quotes from The Little Prince and looks like that -- he's the winner!"

#43 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

I'm sure you'll figure it out, Jill. But one thing for sure, there's probably a few guys reading this thread and wishing they had women having this discussion about them. :D

#44 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

They haven't announced the 2011 winner yet, but this is the 2010 winner. He's #17 among the photo submissions of his competition. I wouldn't have said he was the "sexiest" or even the best-looking among the bunch (that would be between Michael Kennedy (naturally, since he kind of reminds me of my husband, but he's not even facing the camera), Stephen Collier (who's barely smiling in his photo, but damn!) or Paul TenHaken (though I hate that cheesey "corporate-style" photo).

Since those submissions include a guy holding a guitar, and this guy's got his dog, I'm guessing the kitty picture would be okay.

But none of them won. Hmmmm.

#45 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm sure you'll figure it out, Jill. But one thing I know for sure is that I'll bet there are a few guys reading this thread and wishing they had women having this discussion about them. :D

Who knows, maybe they are and the guys just don't know about it. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users