#1 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image
just what is the personality of the lurker?
Posted Image
enough curiosity to read and keep up but too lazy to participate?
too elitist or too stupid? to shy? or too sneaky? too voyeuristic?
want to hear the scoop but can't be bothered?
do ya rub yourselves with oil before reading the posts?
you guest lurkers crack me up Posted Image

#2 ArticRedemption

ArticRedemption

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

I lurk many places, blogs and forums alike. I like to read what people think. I hate trying to find the words to post. For all of our guest lurkers, I guess we should start posting some fap worthy materials. Maybe they'll share theirs in return.

#3 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

blogs are meant to be just read, forums if they are big like Cd is more like a newspaper so the guest/lurk is understandable. small off shoot forums like this one the motive is different for just reading. artic, I am glad you quit lurking here and are posting, but I would suspect with your modship at CD you first came here more to see what was being said by who and about what. maybe gleen some "info". lol, not saying we don't have brilliant readable minds here, plus you have come out of the closet and are posting. I can see not having anything to say for a day or so, even for weeks but to continue to "monitor" a small forum like this, why not just register and say hello once in awhile? I find it an odd thing which makes me question the motivation.

#4 Austin

Austin

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

So ^^^ funny, LOL. I'm a "lurker" only at cd! I like to keep up with "trends".......

Also sometimes, even though you may agree one hundred thousand percent with people politically, it may be that agreeing otherwise, not so much. Of course that's only natural. As unique human beings with unique personalities we're not going to get along with everybody all the time. We just do the best we can.
Don't Kill In My Name

#5 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

A forum that a few of us were banned from got trolled hard today... lulz!!! I wonder how many lurkers are from there???

#6 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

I think many lurkers just don't like expressing themselves with the written word---it's easier for some than others---but they enjoy reading what other people have to say. I'm the opposite; I'd rather write a letter than talk in person.

#7 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

So ^^^ funny, LOL. I'm a "lurker" only at cd! I like to keep up with "trends".......

Also sometimes, even though you may agree one hundred thousand percent with people politically, it may be that agreeing otherwise, not so much. Of course that's only natural. As unique human beings with unique personalities we're not going to get along with everybody all the time. We just do the best we can.

for me CD is another thing all together that place is huge.

#8 Austin

Austin

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

for me CD is another thing all together that place is huge.

I lurk at P&OC. The Politics forum of course is so nasty but reading there reminds me that there are those many extremist rightwing people out there who are very vocal! I was banned from cd long, long, long ago.
Don't Kill In My Name

#9 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

I think many lurkers just don't like expressing themselves with the written word---it's easier for some than others---but they enjoy reading what other people have to say. I'm the opposite; I'd rather write a letter than talk in person.

I think its more that they get off on the anonymity of it more than they don't feel like putting in the effort to post because it is hard for them to express themselves with the written word. I bet a large majority only "want to watch" Posted Image so much less is asked of you. it is a bit of a mindset to continue to monitor what a small group of people are saying without involving yourself.. I guess it is a taker mentality. I like to give as well as take.

#10 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

There was 38 right now. Posted Image

A lot of the time, I don't bother to log in, I just read the board as a guest. I'm guessing a few others must do the same.
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#11 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

There was 38 right now. Posted Image

A lot of the time, I don't bother to log in, I just read the board as a guest. I'm guessing a few others must do the same.

I like that answer Posted Image

#12 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

I say c'mon and post. Nobody is gonna bite too hard.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#13 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

I say c'mon and post. Nobody is gonna bite too hard.

yes please Posted Image

#14 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

I think the numbers here are probably exaggerated (sorry) because there seems to be a big delay on timing - I suspect people are recorded as reading long after they leave. So for example people who log in might be counted twice, and people who lurk and leave and return may also be counted twice. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seems to work at my board also.
Show me your dragon magic

#15 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

On the other board (SMF) I could see IPs that were overlapping like you said. This happened frequently but not necessarily with every active user. Here I don't have the ability to see that, nor do I know if it keeps track in the same way SMF does. What I do get to see, is where people come from, which is much more interesting to me than anything. Private messages on other boards, emails, blogs etc. The link is making the rounds, without me plastering it all over the place.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users