21 replies to this topic

#1 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

I work with this guy, and he is like this reformed Christian. Use to be a criminal and wild.. but found Jesus etc.... At work he is always going on about it and he keeps inviting me to church. Every time i see him he goes on about what a great sermon and service I missed and I feel like he EXPECTS me to come to the church he preaches at.... Problem is.. I don't believe in organized religion or "Church" I believe in God and Jesus etc.. but i just don't do "Church" I think its extremely filled with hypocrites and is fake....I think Church is nothing more than a mechanism to control people's mind and behavior..... no offense anybody who goes... just how i feel through personal experience. So he asks for my phone number today and i know he is gonna keep inviting me, and this and that but it makes me really uncomfortable... so how do u politely handle that without coming off like a satan worshiper?
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

#2 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Well I am an atheist, but I live smack-dab in the middle of the Bible Belt and deal with these invitations repeatedly. I have learned to say "Thank you for the invitation, but I have very firm spiritual beliefs myself, and they differ from those of your church." That is usually all that is needed so far. The guy seems a little persisitent though, so who knows. Good luck!

#3 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I deal with this also. I usually say something like: "I'm happy for you that you've found a belief system and church that's enriching your life so much. But I found my spiritual center a long time ago and I have no intention or need to look elsewhere." If someone then asks about my 'spiritual center' or 'church' I'll just smile and tell them: "That question is a little too invasive, for my tastes" and then change the topic.

#4 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

I'm pretty sure my advice wouldn't be very helpful :D
Show me your dragon magic

#5 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

its really weird cause I was SUPER offended and nothing offends me.. but the more i thought about this guy pushing his beliefs on me so heavily just really burned me up... Damn.. maybe i am evil......................
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

#6 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

The reformed types are always the worst. I remember changing the brakes for our friend/babysitter in SLC. When I did the job some neighbors (young couple totally lame) sat there and watched everything I did on her car and acted like I was some sort of criminal for helping her out. Later they "reported" back to her all the things they thought I may have done wrong, despite their lack of knowledge on cars. Our friend said "You have to excuse them, they are born again types and think it's their job to micromanage the world." They did some other weird shit too, but I can't remember now since it's been a while. But very pushy, rude, know what's good for us all types. Super judgmental. You have to be very frank in this situation. I'd simply say that your spiritual beliefs are very private to you and keep it at that. If he presses I'd ask him how much better he thought the world would be if we just quit trying to change they way one another thought. If he goes on after that then tell him to go fuck himself.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#7 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

I found my spiritual center a long time ago and I have no intention or need to look elsewhere..

think this one is great. I would repeat it if they asked again, if they asked a third time you should be a bit more rude and to the point. I too would be a bit offended, sometimes people like this think you need them and their beliefs to be all that you should be according to their religion. I had a friend I worked with tell me she would go see passion of the christ with me, she wasn't asking for a movie buddy, she was asking figuring that perhaps this movie would make me more of a believer. she may not thought it was insulting but I sure did. tell the guy no thank you

#8 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

I usually tell people, either, I am a devout Uniformitarianist or secular. They leave me alone, then.

#9 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:57 AM

Tell him you'll go if he'll volunteer with you at Planned Parenthood that afternoon.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#10 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Just say "No thanks". That should shut him up, if you haven't already said it. If he keeps asking after that, just say "I don't attend church but thanks". After that if he persists, tell him to go to hell.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#11 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:40 AM

I think some of you have heard this but one time waiting at the bus stop, some jesus looking chick walked up to me & says good morning, all sweet like. I was onto her. I watch as if in slow motion as she reaches into her bag & withdraws a bible. I give her the hand & say "Get the fuck away from me". She left. Did I feel bad? Not a bit. Another time some Jehovah's came a-calling while I was taking out the garbage. I interrupted their little sermon with "You're talking to the wrong person". They left. Did I feel bad? Hell no.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#12 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

I think some of you have heard this but one time waiting at the bus stop, some jesus looking chick walked up to me & says good morning, all sweet like. I was onto her. I watch as if in slow motion as she reaches into her bag & withdraws a bible. I give her the hand & say "Get the fuck away from me". She left.

That's awesome, haha.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#13 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

the Jehovahs come around my neighborhood every few weeks. they are almost exclusively Filipino, which is their calling card as well as the watchtower. they always say is this a filipino household? I say yes, I love to say yes, not only because I am but mostly because I don't look it at all and they are stunned and just don't know what to say for a minute. once they find their voices I say walang salamat paalam and close the door Posted Image just means no thank you goodbye

#14 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

I once got stopped in the street by two guys who I think were trying to get me to join some..... thing. I don't know if there were Jehovah's Witnesses or what. One of the guys I couldn't actually understand, and for a second I had no idea what was going on. When I realised what was happening, I thought "Oh crap, why'd I let myself get stopped?" I said something about having to get to my car and went away.

I assume that excuse wouldn't make sense for you. Posted Image I think all you can do is politely say thanks, but no thanks. If he's a 'proper' Christian, he should surely accept that and not try to force you to do anything... Is he "pushing his beliefs" onto you or is he just trying to invite you along all the time? If it's the latter, I wouldn't feel offended, he's probably just really enthusiastic if he 'reformed' recently. Do you know how long he's been religious for? Probably as time goes by, he'll ease up on it...
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#15 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

My husband is a feisty character, his favorite trick if soul-savers come to the door is to say to them he is right in the middle of a critical phone call, and could they wait just a bit. Then he closes the door, leaves them outside, and goes about his business with no intention of going back. Some of them will stand there for a loooong time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users