Photo

Would you buy and eat this kind of food?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

The S.F. Underground Market

#2 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

Ever watch the program Hoarders? I think of those places when I see bake goods at a school sale. I do not eat food from unknown and untraceable places.

#3 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

Yes, I watch Hoarders all the time. And funny enough, that's exactly what came to mind when I saw that table of jars of homemade whatever-that-crap-was. Who knows how funky their kitchen is? No WAY would I ever buy or eat that food. Guess I should go answer my own poll then, huh? :)

#4 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

I have in the past, it really depends on where it's being sold. In South Africa there are very upscale "farm stalls" and "wine farms" that make a variety of canned and jarred foods, and it's some of the best quality food out there. I can a few things myself, and I am obsessive about sanitation. Having a husband who works in food safety is good and bad. Good because he can ascertain real risk and provide factual information, but bad because sanitation at some of the large food manufacturers can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. My point is one presumes food from some sources is sanitary, but you just never know. I love street vendor food, and have eaten it in some way less than stellar places. I say if it really looks good, then go for it.

#5 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

gad, I probably wouldn't go nor would I eat or buy the stuff. I like my food certified clean by the health dept. the 1000 dollars a years really isn't that expensive. it is the cost of doing business. lots of business I would love to do but can't afford the start up costs...so I don't do them. selling at a swap meet or street fair is about as inexpensive as you can get. I would worry about a food product from someone who can't be bothered. if I am out of the country and eating that is another matter.

#6 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

I lived in Mexico for some time, and I ate from food carts -- one in particular -- all the time. The difference is, I could see them cooking my food and how it was stored, so I could determine if I thought it was safe to eat or not.

I know that *I* would be meticulous in my cleanliness and preparations if I were trying to sell food to other people. But I can't trust that everyone else will have the same sensibilities I have. In fact, I trust exactly the opposite. That's one of the many reasons I'm a Democrat; because I don't trust the major food processors and manufacturers to always have the best health and safety standards in their plants and think we need far more regulation and oversight than we already have. In fact, if I had my way, there'd be federal inspectors assigned to everyplace that prepares and handles food for public consumption, rotating them periodically to prevent bribes to look the other way, not just periodic inspections and/or following up only if there's a complaint.

#7 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

Yeah Jill, I personally think street carts, whether here or abroad, are way more safe than regular restaurants or delis....actually, deli's sometimes give me the hives. I have no problem ordering something from a street cart or hawker stall. Many people I know are very prissy about their food & would never frequent one of those vendor carts. Whatever, even if the food has been sitting out, it hasn't been sitting out for long. High turnover.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#8 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Wedjat, I'm told that if I ever worked in a restaurant, I'd never eat in one again. I suspect that's very true. Blech.

#9 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Wedjat, I'm told that if I ever worked in a restaurant, I'd never eat in one again. I suspect that's very true. Blech.

Haha, I'm not surprised.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users