Photo

The X Files (Formerly The #twitter Thread)

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#1 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Been using Twitter for awhile now. Started when a certain poster here wanted to add live Twitter feeds of long haired rock stars to his fan web site. Didn't use it much after that and then some other poster here started promoting it to his online hard rock acquaintances so I got into it. I like it. It has the immediacy of usenet without the commitment of facebook or the slight tediousness of message boards. Since it came up in another thread, I thought Twitter needed its own thread. In here we can post who is worth following (or who is not) and what our twitter handles are (if you want to share, mine being @artcinco.) Some people I find to be worth following: @arrmo_tap - he like Doctor Who and dislikes Rupert Murdoch and Sarah Palin @MacRumors - great stuff on what Steve Jobs has planned next. Or not. @JennyJohnsonHi5 - the funniest woman on Twitter IMNSHO @arstechnica - good technology stuff @GeorgeTakei - it's OK to be Takei @iowahawkblog - right side of the political spectrum snarky humor @daybydaycartoon - I am a fan Anyway, those are some people I follow and why. Are there people who have great tweets that I am missing? LMK! Thanks!
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#2 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

Glad you started this thread. I hope some of you seasoned twitterers will answer a newbie question or two from time to time. For example, when I comment on someone else's twitter, shouldn't I be able to see it on their page underneath the twit that I commented on? And is there a way to search for topics rather than people? And do they have a twitter help page that I'm not finding?

#3 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

If you include their handle in a reply it should then go to them and their followers. I usually don't look at anyone's page of who they follow unless I am curious to who they are reading. There is a way in the browser and iThing Twitter app to search for the term as opposed to a person. Don't know about a help page. Are you reading it on a browser or mobile device?

#4 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

If you include their handle in a reply it should then go to them and their followers. I usually don't look at anyone's page of who they follow unless I am curious to who they are reading.

There is a way in the browser and iThing Twitter app to search for the term as opposed to a person. Don't know about a help page. Are you reading it on a browser or mobile device?

Ah, now I know what I did wrong. I didn't include their handle in the reply. I'm using a browser.

I did find this unofficial twitter guide book of tips on line but I haven't found answers to all my questions there: http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/

#5 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

If you include their handle in a reply it should then go to them and their followers.

It doesn't go to their followers.
Show me your dragon magic

#6 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Glad you started this thread. I hope some of you seasoned twitterers will answer a newbie question or two from time to time. For example, when I comment on someone else's twitter, shouldn't I be able to see it on their page underneath the twit that I commented on?

The tweet belongs to you not them so you won't see it on their feed or page. They will see it if it includes their twitter name.

And is there a way to search for topics rather than people? And do they have a twitter help page that I'm not finding?

Hashtags. ex. #tapisawesome

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

If you include their handle in a reply it should then go to them and their followers.

Yeah you rite!

I think if the tweet begins with @Raddion it would only go to him. But if you add a period before the handle .@PAEOAM then it goes to all YOUR followers.

#8 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yeah you rite!

I think if the tweet begins with @Raddion it would only go to him. But if you add a period before the handle .@PAEOAM then it goes to all YOUR followers.

Think if you type @raddion it goes to people who follow both you and him. The period thing is correct I believe.

#9 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

My twitter feeds are quite Brit-centric, I have a more serious one under my real (top secret) name which has a lot of science, politics, math, sport, news etc as well as my arrmo_tap one which is more for music and silly stuff.

#10 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

@JennyJohnsonHi5 - the funniest woman on Twitter IMNSHO

Oh My G-d! HILARIOUS! I just followed her. Thanks for the tip!

98% of my tweets are politically centered, and I'm a rabid Democrat, so follow at your own peril. If you want to know how, send me a dm and I'll give you my twitter handle.

#11 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

I'm not on Twitter but when I was earlier, I didn't understand hashtags. What are they, how do they work, etc. And please explain in basic english, step by step, you're talking to a techno moron here.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#12 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

@JennyJohnsonHi5 - the funniest woman on Twitter IMNSHO

Oh My G-d! HILARIOUS! I just followed her. Thanks for the tip!

98% of my tweets are politically centered, and I'm a rabid Democrat, so follow at your own peril. If you want to know how, send me a dm and I'll give you my twitter handle.

I think I found you and all your left of center twitterness. ;-)

#13 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

I'm not on Twitter but when I was earlier, I didn't understand hashtags. What are they, how do they work, etc. And please explain in basic english, step by step, you're talking to a techno moron here.

Hashtags are a way to unite tweets. If I went to see a live concert and tweeted about it, I could include #bandnamerocks in all my tweets. Then someone could search for #bandnamerocks and get all of the related posts to appear. It also works with anything popular like #katyperry or whatever. Basically it will bring you any tweet that it appears in.

#14 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

fuck hash tags bring on the hash!!

#15 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Ok, so who here is on Twitter? I caved & signed up ONLY because I need to follow a couple street food vendors in order to find out where they are on a daily basis in the city. Lame, hey? Anyway, I can honestly say I've got nothing interesting to say but I need people to follow & to follow me so I look popular. I have one follower, Lonely Planet, lol.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users