Photo

The X Files (Formerly The #twitter Thread)

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#31 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:02 AM

Wow. There's quite a few, here, who use twitter! Not so sure I want to give out my Twitter name yet because I don't want people I know from elsewhere seeing me make some drunken reply to a celebrity tweet. Ya' see, maybe someday I'll write a reply that is so profound and mind blowing that they can't help but notice it (amongst the 10,000 other replies) and then......they will actually respond and be so taken by it that they will be compelled to follow me.

Yeah, right, Lynn. But, yeah, I've found myself making drunken replies and wondering the next morning why the hell I did that! Posted Image

#32 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

all tweets should be done while drunk!!!

#33 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Wow. There's quite a few, here, who use twitter! Not so sure I want to give out my Twitter name yet because I don't want people I know from elsewhere seeing me make some drunken reply to a celebrity tweet. Ya' see, maybe someday I'll write a reply that is so profound and mind blowing that they can't help but notice it (amongst the 10,000 other replies) and then......they will actually respond and be so taken by it that they will be compelled to follow me.

Yeah, right, Lynn. But, yeah, I've found myself making drunken replies and wondering the next morning why the hell I did that! Posted Image

I'm glad they didn't have Twitter---or the internet for that matter---back when I still did the bar scene and had drunken nights. I would have been picked up by the Secret Service for all the thoughts I would have tweeted about Richard Nixon.

#34 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Simple, have two twitter accounts. One for the real world and one for the online insanity free-for-all.

Posted Image
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#35 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:52 AM

True....but if not for the celeb tweets - I find very little use for Twitter. I guess if I have something to say, I'll say it here or on FB and that's good enough for me. I find Twitter to be kind of a place to follow favorite celeb updates, little Uncle John's Bathroom Reader trivia, that kind of thing. I've seen some people use it as a kind of message board, I guess, but maybe I just don't really get it.

#36 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

I just cannot get into Twitter. 13 followers & I'm sorry but I've got nothing to say, no real use for it. What am I doing wrong that I can't get into it? Is there a trick to this or is it a useless piece of social media for me?
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#37 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

I just cannot get into Twitter. 13 followers & I'm sorry but I've got nothing to say, no real use for it. What am I doing wrong that I can't get into it? Is there a trick to this or is it a useless piece of social media for me?

I feel the same way. The only time I actually enjoyed being on Twitter and thinking it MIGHT be of value was the day before the debt ceiling vote and Obama's camp was giving out the twitter addresses of the 22 Tea Party members who were determined not to vote to raise it no matter what. I guess I'm too used to the easiness of a message board where you can go back to see if anyone replies and you can post on topics and clearly see what others thing about the topic. Twitter seems impersonal.

#38 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

I hardly ever tweet, but really enjoy reading the tweets of those I follow. Apart from y'all, I follow friends and family, politicians, political pundits, local politics, local government, and local events.

#39 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, it seems like the only tweets that I'm seeing are political ones, like over & over & over & to be honest, it's getting on my nerves.

#40 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Part of it is social, but for me, I make myself the editor-in-chief of Artcinco Media. I pick what news outlets to follow, be they national, global or specialized like technology or video games. I get up to the minute news from many sources. I get the MAIN point in the small space allotted. I also get links to stories if I want to read more about a subject. It is great. I don't have to turn on any 24/7 news channel trying to fill the hour with 5 minutes of news and the rest talking and/or shouting heads.

I also get to set myself up in an ideological cocoon. I only follow people who re-enforce my particular worldview and drop people who disagree or offer opinions or ideas I find boring or threatening to my delicate mindset. JUST KIDDING. I am following a bunch of you left leaning folks on here. And believe me, the stuff that @jillwklausen posts alone is very eye opening. I get to peer into the mind of the left and what has them all exercised about today. Fascinating stuff.

I initially did more socializing on the Twitter but many of my acquaintances prefer Facebook (the horror) or usenet or message boards. I am hoping more peeps get Twittered up.

So basically make Twitter work for you. Find people, organizations, companies or whoever interests you and follow them. And if someone if boring drop 'em and find someone else.

#41 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

I also get to set myself up in an ideological cocoon. I only follow people who re-enforce my particular worldview and drop people who disagree or offer opinions or ideas I find boring or threatening to my delicate mindset. JUST KIDDING. I am following a bunch of you left leaning folks on here. And believe me, the stuff that @jillwklausen posts alone is very eye opening. I get to peer into the mind of the left and what has them all exercised about today. Fascinating stuff.

LOL! You're hilarious. And a good sport, too. If for nothing else, I have to love you for JennyJohnsonHi5.

#42 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

LOL! You're hilarious. And a good sport, too. If for nothing else, I have to love you for JennyJohnsonHi5.

LOL, that girl is crude!!!

#43 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

She certainly is. Some of it is crude enough to actually make me wince, but some of it is just downright hilarious! Like this, from yesterday:

Politicians will never love America as much as they love hooker pussy.

But then this morning's was just priceless without any crudeness:

If I don't find out what Pippa Middleton has been wearing during the riots, I'm going to burn down this whole fucking newsroom.

BWAH!

As for getting into the Twitter thing, I guess it depends on what you want or expect from it. I had almost no followers for a year, followed a few people and thought it was so damn boring - ugh. Then for some reason Congressman Andrews started following my tweets, so I followed him back. Then more and more political people started following me and my list just started to explode. Now I can't keep up (and don't try). But I love interacting with like-minded people where I can weed out the idiots like insaneshit et all so I have a more pleasant experience instead of everything being a "fight" (I get my share of dissenters on stationary forums where I do my actual "debating").

And the folks I interact with are really well-educated, professional people. I have a lot of producers and writers and columnists following me now, and I've been inspired to write a blog that's now also being followed by some of these people, which I think is really cool.

And these people are very well-informed because they read a lot, so they also share a lot of links, which means I get access to a lot of news I might otherwise miss.

But if none of that trips your trigger, then it's probably not the social media spot for you to hang out, and that's okay.

#44 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

If @JennyJohnsonHi5 started a cult, I'd have to think about quitting my job and leaving the wife and kids.

#45 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Got this in the email: Klassy Fucker (@KlassyFucker) is now following you on Twitter! Even if he is the biggest spambot I will not block him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users