82 replies to this topic

#1 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm going to take SLC's suggestion and address it here. I think it is a double standard for example, that Cousin It uses inflammatory words against a third party not present and is banned, yet someone here make a blatant personal attack against me not only calling me a nazi, but saying I'd kill innocent Americans for exercising a freedom I take very seriously to denfed. If people are going to feign offense when someone uses the word faggot and action is taken, why is it acceptable for a member to make a very personal attack. Furthermore, why is Wedjat allowed to enter the discussion and tell me to "fuck off" when she had not participated in any of the 7 pages of dialogue. To me it seems she was obviolusly looking for a way to address me in a negative light, as nothing she has yet posted in anyway has anything to do with the topic. Now you may say i was wrong to tell Whistler to fuck off, but if I made a similar comment towards any of you and your occupations to suggest that you'd harm those you serve in some regard, I have not only seen you respond in the same way before, but would expect it as well. I do not want to muddy up SLC's board with insults, but I draw a distinction between my own posts that are often unpopular that discuss and ideal and not a person on this board, and someone on this board directly attacking the character of another. But that is my distinction. I'm not playing a victim here, but I'm also not going to participate if that type of behavior is permitted. I know when I crossed the line with SLC year's ago, I was swiftly dealt with. I'm not asking for a mediator, but while it means nothing, to see myself get negative marks while Whistler is allowed to continue on goes against the nature of the discussion. Anyway, I thought I'd bring it here on SLC's advice for reveiw. I take my oath and job very seriously, and when people make a direct attack against that, through the internet or not, I'm going to get angry. Again a distinction I make between imagined slights and choosing to be offended and when someon outright tosses a personal insult. not claiming I was 100% right in my response, but I think the actions of a few members far out weigh my own.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#2 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Just to get this out of the way: Cousin It was warned privately about his language twice before he was banned for a few days. In this case neither you or anybody else was even warned, or under the threat of a ban. **** I will suggest what I did to Flagg in a PM, that perhaps we should discuss what happened, why it happened, and where it went wrong for both parties. Why repeat the same thing over and over and expect a different result? I would also appreciate input from third parties who were not directly involved in discussion. Maybe they could provide opinions on behavior as a spectator. The other option is to allow this forum to run as a free-for-all, which I'm fine with too. If that's the case though, then you either take it or leave it, no crybabies allowed.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#3 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Randall, re-read my post that has you so upset. (The first one quoted below.) Do you truly think I called you a Nazi? I certainly don't see it that way. And what sentence, exactly, do you feel is a personal attack against your profession? I may (or may not have) insulted your integrity when I suggested that you wouldn't have a problem taking an order to open fire on the Wall Street protesters if ordered to do so, but that certainly can't be stretched into insult to your profession. Can it? Is that the part you claim is an insult to your profession? Either way, I've already explained in a post written after your "fuck you" rant that if I could take back the wording of that part of my original post, I would do so. I didn't mean for it to come off the way it did. (See the second quoted post below.)

As for your comment about me being "allowed to continue to go against the nature of the discussion"---What on earth does that mean? This isn't a mutual admiration society here. Members are allowed to disagree and---gasp!---even get off topic temporarily to make a point. It's called having a conversation. Other than the post you ranted about, I seriously doubt you could find other of mine that anyone would remotely think is insulting. Frankly, if I got bent out of shape every time you post something that I find insulting I'd be in this "forum conduct" thread all the time. Do you think it's easy to see you continually show such callous disdain for disabled people when I have a paralyzed and much loved husband in the next room? You and I have philosophically different world views. We're going to clash. Ignore my posts if you want, but don't expect me to do the same with yours. If something interests me, I'm still going to reply until management bans me.

I don't have a problem with deployed military being included into that 50% of Americans who don't pay any income taxes. I don't even have a problem with them voting even though you think non-tax payers should loss that right. I was just using it as part of my example of how messed up your view/myth is about who those 50% of American are who pay no taxes. But I think it's very sad (if not a bit scary in a Nazism flashback way) that you think a deployed military person is more deserving of tax exemptions than a civilian disabled person. I've seen enough of your posts to come to the conclusion that you have a deep-seeded disdain for anyone you don't think is contributing to society in a manner you feel is fitting and would like to see them banished in one way or another. Fess up, if the government took your unit to Wall Street and told you to mow down your fellow Americans who are peacefully demonstrating, that wouldn't present you with a moral dilemma at all, would it.

...........Do I apologize to you for anything I've posted to you? No, but if I could I would go back and change the following statement to a question---I actually thought I did phrase it that way until I just reread it: "Fess up, if the government took your unit to Wall Street and told you to mow down your fellow Americans who are peacefully demonstrating, that wouldn't present you with a moral dilemma at all, would it." If I had asked it as a question instead making an accusatory statement, what would your answer be? As you'll recall, when MacArthur ordered his men to fire on the peacefully, protesting veterans those military men who didn't do it faced a court-marital. What would you do if faced with the same moral dilemma: fire upon innocents Americans or pick a court-martial?

#4 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

Just to chime in, if someone asked if I have any intention to harm my students, I'd probably respond with "Hypothetically...would I get caught?"
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#5 VOR

VOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

I made one post of an analytical nature in the thread in question and was not involved in any of the drama. As a bystander, I honestly feel the hostility originated with Whistler's Momma. Prior to her initial inflammatory remarks, the conversation had revolved around the nature of the protests and the motives of the protesters. Her comments to Randall Flagg were of a snide and insulting personal nature. She insinuated that his personal philosophy was that of a Nazi, and she asserted that he would he would murder civilians without remorse. Then Randall Flagg told her to 'fuck off' and further insulted her. Another user named wedjat spontaneously entered the discussion and told Randall Flagg to 'go fuck himself' and further insulted him. I have to assume wedjat's comments were made out of a sense of allegiance to Whistler's Mother, as wedjat had expressed no interest in the thread prior to insulting Randall Flagg. My opinion? Inflammatory remarks and coarse language do not offend me as a user. This message board, however, does have established standards of conduct. You have one user who strayed from civility after being personally attacked and two users who strayed from civility without personal provocation. A blanket statement of condemnation is not an even-handed measure, as the motivation and degree of infringement in this instance varied for each user. Off topic: What happened to cousin it? Will that person come back? I read here a long time before I joined. During that time, I enjoyed the principled nature of many of cousin it's posts.

#6 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Ok, I'll offer an opinion as a third party spectator, as I don't tend to get involved in some of the political discussion here and wasn't involved in the topic where some of this took place. However, I did read through the posts. Randall, no one called you a Nazi. Reading through the posts in that section, it seemed like the discussion was going along fairly civilly, until this: "Fuck you. You've made it clear you can't hold a civil discussion with me. You call me a Nazi and then say I'd kill innocent Americans because I disagree with them. Go fuck yourself.Are you shitting me? One of you morons gave me a negative mark while that old twat calls me a nzai and says I'd kill innocent Americans? She made the discussion personal and left the realm of abstract discussion. Cool, cool. I see how it is. It's acceptable to call someone a fucking nazi and say they'd kill people, but if you tell them to fuck off, you get a negative mark. Better add another, cause that old bitch can go fuck off." Wow. Just, wow. For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents, if you really want to know. First, I kind of enjoy having you around here because you have such strong opinions of things and it leads to some great discussions. However, what I also tend to see is that your strong opinions are quite - for lack of a better term - judgmental, in that you seem to have some very firm convictions about people and situations which are based on your own assumptions. Those statements tend to be inflammatory and hit a core in people who may be going through shit in their lives. Some of your statements come off as being generalized assumptions about people without taking the time to look at what might be a bigger picture of things. I've said before, you can't really make idealized assumptions and judgments about things unless you've been there and walked in those shoes. Actually, I was probably the same way at one time about certain things, but a person's mind can change pretty quickly when one finds themselves in the same situation about which they were once so judgmental. Strong opinions change when it becomes personal and one begins to see things in a different light. Moving along then, when other members here start to disagree with you too much or call you out on something that went a little bit judgmentally overboard, you seem to get pissed off right away - I mean, really pissed off. I'm not saying you're totally alone in this, as I've seen other members here get emotionally involved in the discussion and lash out at you. Honestly, you do have some very strong opinions and assumptions about things, which I guess is fine, but it does tend to get people going. Then, when the going gets too hot, it's like you stomp off or something. I'm just saying - that's what I see. You may not see it, yourself, but it's there. I mean, if you're going to make some of the bold statements that you sometimes make, then you have to be able to take it in return.

#7 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

Lynn, I don't really care for your analysis because you've shown no ability to think out of your PC box. Whistley said I would have no qualms killing people who protest, knowing I'm a soldier, and you say I'm the one who left civility by telling her to fuck off. And you wonder why I get pissed off sometimes and accuse someone of you of lacking any ability to evaluate things objectively and logically. Whistler compares me to a nazi, says I'd have no qualms killing people. I say "fuck off" and you defend her saying "Nope, I see nothing wrong there on behalf of Whistler." Hypothetically, if I said (and I in no way believe this) that all homosexuals should be rounded up, loaded on a train and exterminated because they are souless heathens. Would that elicit an angry response? I had no idea that Whistler's husband is diabled until she posted it here, but if I said "We should take all the cripples and toss them in front of moving traffic and grind their remains to a find paste to feed the homeless. At least that way they'd contribute something to the world and not serve as boxes of flesh attached to artificial life." Would that elicit some kind of response? Because it damn well should, because those are hurtful comments made with no higher thought to esculate discussion, only to hurt someone. Now before Wedjat chimes in to accuse me of trying to harm people before going back to her paint chips, let me remind people that my father offed himself just shy of a year ago because of a disability he developed. And while I have no family members who are homosexual, I do have a couple friends, so either of these subjects aren't something I would utilize to hurt someone. My point is that if we made this board an open warfare type, and I made those kind of comments, you people would scream murder, cuss me out and someone of you would probably mail pipe bombs to my house. And I would deserve it (save the bombs) because regardless of the wall that exists between us called the internet, you still owe basic civilility. I'm not an internet tough guy, but I try to hold to the maxim that if I wouldn't say it to you in a one onf discussion in public, I wouldn't do it online either. Part of that whole denuine discussion with no false walls thing I try to go for. So if you think it's fine to personally insult someone's character and integrity, how can you take offense when that person retaliates and tells them to fuck off. Bottom line is this. Anyone who can read can go back and see whistler saud "if the government took your unit to Wall Street and told you to mow down your fellow Americans who are peacefully demonstrating, that wouldn't present you with a moral dilemma at all." If you can't then register that as saying ":If flagg was presented with an opportunity to shoot the OWS people, he would" then you seriously need to go back to school. You people get up in arms when some stranger calls some gay kid a faggot and he offs himself. You want hate speech laws when someone says something that goes against the liberal mantra. Hell, you even attacked the GOP candidates because audience members booed when a gay soldier said he was happy DADT was repealed, pretending that you gave one fuck about the soldiers. But when one of your own, says something personally insulting, all your bullshit about speech codes and all that PC garbage goes right out the window. Kind of like how it did when Obama ordered an American killed because he didn't like him. I want you, especially Wedjat and Whistler to run for office. Or fuck, just go on a public debate show. And when you're mocked more than Sarah Palin ever could be, maybe then you'll realize how simple and contradictory your ideas are.

#8 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Who's up for ice cream?
Sister burn the temple

#9 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

Choclate Chip?

#10 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Why not?
Sister burn the temple

#11 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

Lynn, I don't really care for your analysis because you've shown no ability to think out of your PC box. Whistley said I would have no qualms killing people who protest, knowing I'm a soldier, and you say I'm the one who left civility by telling her to fuck off. And you wonder why I get pissed off sometimes and accuse someone of you of lacking any ability to evaluate things objectively and logically. Whistler compares me to a nazi, says I'd have no qualms killing people. I say "fuck off" and you defend her saying "Nope, I see nothing wrong there on behalf of Whistler."

Hypothetically, if I said (and I in no way believe this) that all homosexuals should be rounded up, loaded on a train and exterminated because they are souless heathens. Would that elicit an angry response? I had no idea that Whistler's husband is diabled until she posted it here, but if I said "We should take all the cripples and toss them in front of moving traffic and grind their remains to a find paste to feed the homeless. At least that way they'd contribute something to the world and not serve as boxes of flesh attached to artificial life." Would that elicit some kind of response? Because it damn well should, because those are hurtful comments made with no higher thought to esculate discussion, only to hurt someone. Now before Wedjat chimes in to accuse me of trying to harm people before going back to her paint chips, let me remind people that my father offed himself just shy of a year ago because of a disability he developed. And while I have no family members who are homosexual, I do have a couple friends, so either of these subjects aren't something I would utilize to hurt someone.

My point is that if we made this board an open warfare type, and I made those kind of comments, you people would scream murder, cuss me out and someone of you would probably mail pipe bombs to my house. And I would deserve it (save the bombs) because regardless of the wall that exists between us called the internet, you still owe basic civilility. I'm not an internet tough guy, but I try to hold to the maxim that if I wouldn't say it to you in a one onf discussion in public, I wouldn't do it online either. Part of that whole denuine discussion with no false walls thing I try to go for.

So if you think it's fine to personally insult someone's character and integrity, how can you take offense when that person retaliates and tells them to fuck off.

Bottom line is this. Anyone who can read can go back and see whistler saud "if the government took your unit to Wall Street and told you to mow down your fellow Americans who are peacefully demonstrating, that wouldn't present you with a moral dilemma at all." If you can't then register that as saying ":If flagg was presented with an opportunity to shoot the OWS people, he would" then you seriously need to go back to school.

You people get up in arms when some stranger calls some gay kid a faggot and he offs himself. You want hate speech laws when someone says something that goes against the liberal mantra. Hell, you even attacked the GOP candidates because audience members booed when a gay soldier said he was happy DADT was repealed, pretending that you gave one fuck about the soldiers. But when one of your own, says something personally insulting, all your bullshit about speech codes and all that PC garbage goes right out the window. Kind of like how it did when Obama ordered an American killed because he didn't like him.

I want you, especially Wedjat and Whistler to run for office. Or fuck, just go on a public debate show. And when you're mocked more than Sarah Palin ever could be, maybe then you'll realize how simple and contradictory your ideas are.

Flagg, I am seriously perplexed now. You asked for a forum to discuss what you perceive to be insults against your integrity. An opportunity to address uncivilized debate tactics. You have just lost any credibility with this diatribe. You have just done in this post what you accuse others of doing, and what I assumed you were aiming to eliminate.

You and I most certainly have exchanged very heated posts, but your absolute denial in any culpability is annoying. I can't count how many times you have accused me of being stupid. You may not agree with me, I may irritate the shit out of you, but resorting to calling posters stupid, and expecting them to lie down and take it is naive.

This is a serious question; what is it you are hoping to achieve with this thread?

#12 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Who's up for ice cream?

Posted Image
Show me your dragon magic

#13 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

I think we all need to loosen up the tightness of are undies.

#14 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

Who's up for ice cream?

Posted Image

You think you're so smart, with your big mathy brain, don't ya!
Sister burn the temple

#15 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

IOff topic: What happened to cousin it? Will that person come back? I read here a long time before I joined. During that time, I enjoyed the principled nature of many of cousin it's posts.

You can get your IT FIX on twitter. Posted Image
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users