25 replies to this topic

#1 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Felony charges related to election fraud have touched the 2008 race for the highest office in the land.
Prosecutors in South Bend, Ind., filed charges Monday against four St. Joseph County Democratic officials and deputies as part of a multiple-felony case involving the alleged forging of Democratic presidential primary petitions in the 2008 election, which put then-candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton on the Indiana ballot.
The officials are accused of taking part in a scheme to fake signatures and names on the primary petitions needed to run for president. Court papers say the plan was hatched by local Democratic Party officials inside the local party headquarters.
Among those charged is the former long-time chairman of the St. Joseph County Democratic Party, Butch Morgan, who allegedly ordered the forgeries. He was forced to resign when the allegations were first made public last October, even though his lawyer, Shaw Friedman, told Fox News at the time that Morgan did not do anything wrong.
The St. Joseph County Board of Voter Registration's Democratic board member, Pam Brunette, Board of Voter Registration worker Beverly Shelton and Democratic volunteer and former board worker Dustin Blythe also face charges.
According to affidavits, St. Joseph County Voter Registration Office worker Lucas Burkett told investigators that he was part of the plan that started in January 2008 "to forge signatures on presidential candidate petitions instead of collecting actual signatures from citizens."
The documents state that Burkett told investigators that “he was heavily involved in St. Joseph County political activities with the local Democratic party," and that "he had, in fact, personally forged several such signatures," and had attended meetings at the local Democratic party headquarters, where it was agreed to forge the petitions. Morgan, the County Democratic Chairman, allegedly "instructed Mr. Burkett, Pamela Brunette, Beverly Shelton, and Dustin Blythe to forge ballot petitions for presidential candidates," and that "all of them agreed to follow these instructions" by copying names and signatures from old election petitions.
According to affidavits, Burkett told investigators it was his job to "forge petitions for candidate Barack Obama," Shelton "was assigned to forge petitions for candidate Hillary Clinton" and Blythe "was assigned to forge petitions for candidate John Edwards." When Edwards dropped out of the race at the end of January 2008 and Burkett refused to continue the forgeries, Morgan allegedly ordered Blythe to then forge petitions for Barack Obama.
Indiana State Police investigators identified a total of 22 petitions that appeared to be faked, yet sailed through the Voter Registration Board as legitimate documents. The signature of the board's Republican supervisor, Linda Silcott, which is required for legal certification, appeared to be rubber stamped on the documents. She told investigators that she did not remember signing or authorizing her rubber stamp to be used.
Silcott also told investigators that she recognized the handwriting on the alleged forged Obama petitions as that of Blythe's.
The South Bend Tribune and independent political newsletter Howey Politics Indiana have reported that a handwriting analyst concluded last fall that Blythe's handwriting matched some of the alleged Obama fakes. When Fox News caught up to Blythe as he left the Voter Registration Board last November and asked him if he forged any signatures or faked any petitions, he repeatedly replied, "I don't have anything to say."
The case raises the possibility that the president's campaign and that of Clinton’s, could have been legally challenged in Indiana if the alleged forgeries were discovered during the race.
Under state law, presidential candidates need to qualify with 500 signatures from each of Indiana's nine congressional districts. Indiana elections officials say that in St. Joseph County, which is the 2nd Congressional District, the Obama campaign qualified with 534 signatures; Clinton's camp had 704.
But the signatures, which were certified by the elections board, were never challenged. If the number of legitimate signatures for Obama or Clinton fell below the legal requirement of 500, they could have been bounced from the state ballot. Reports have previously put the number of phony signatures for both candidates at about 150, but state investigators plucked names from the petitions at random and cited only 20 individual alleged forgeries as part of their case. They say their investigation of the petitions continues.
Multiple voters, including Indiana's former Democratic Gov. Joe Kernan, told Fox News that their names and signatures were phonies.
"That's not my signature," Charity Rorie told Fox News as she sat in her kitchen in Mishawaka, Ind.. The mother of four was stunned that her name and signature, and those of her husband, appeared on one of the Obama petitions. She said they "absolutely" were fakes and was troubled that personal details such as their address and birthdays were also included.
"It was shocking," she said. "Why did they do that, and where did they get it from?"
"I did not sign for Barack Obama," Democratic voter Robert Hunter told Fox News as he stared at the Obama petition that included his name and purported signature supporting the candidate. While he observed that the scrawl looked "very close" to his real one, it was not.
"I always put 'Junior' after my name, every time... there's no 'Junior' there," Hunter told us. "I don't like anybody using my name for anything other than myself."
"It's scary," Charity said. "A lot of people have already lost faith in politics and the realm of politics and that solidifies our worries and concerns."
As for Burkett, a 26-year-old lifelong Democrat, "he is the whistle-blower in this," his lawyer, Andrew B. Jones, told Fox News.

"Lucas really is the hero in this situation. He is someone who stood up for good government, and has cooperated with the state police and will continue to do so."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...t#ixzz1r0KiiZ1l

Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#2 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I love how voter fraud is always a concern of the left, but I can't think of any major incident where voting irregularity or fraud was actually conducted by the right. No wonder Democrats are so worried about mandating ID before someone can vote. It's okay to run a background check and provide a state issue ID card every time you exercise one right, but completely over the top to ask for something similar when exercsising another.

And what's really sad is that how easy would it have been to get 500 signatures in each district? Just pure laziness.

#3 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Huh? Voter fraud is a concern of the republicans. A concern that really has no merit.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#4 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

I can't think of any major incident where voting irregularity or fraud was actually conducted by the right.

I'll remember you said this when the right does in 2012 what it does every election, purging minorites from the voter roles in violation of the law and sending emails, fliers, and robocalls to likely Democratic voters telling them to vote...on the wrong day.

And while the idiots in the article above should be punished (notice that their GOP supervisor apparently believes that "the buck stops somewhere else!"), forging signatures to get BOTH candidates on the primary ballot is hardly what most people think of when they think of voter fraud, as it didn't actually effect any election in any way. Had they simply gone asking for signatures, they would have gotten them, and it didn't change anyone's actual vote.

Anyway, these morons shouldn't be in charge of anything, but to say that the left is the bastion of vote fraud while the right has clean hands is highly laughable.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#5 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

All I'm saying is that being from Ohio, I remember screams from the left of election tampering and manipulation. Especially in 2004. And the only incidents I heard of any actual fraud came from Cleveland, and from Democrats. If I had a Lexus-nexus account, I'm sure I could come up with something. But going back to Kennedy, most rigged elections and illegal votes favor democrats. And you didn't address my jab on what it's ok to require ID and pay for a background check to exercise one right, but not another. :P

#6 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

All I'm saying is that being from Ohio, I remember screams from the left of election tampering and manipulation. Especially in 2004. And the only incidents I heard of any actual fraud came from Cleveland, and from Democrats. If I had a Lexus-nexus account, I'm sure I could come up with something. But going back to Kennedy, most rigged elections and illegal votes favor democrats. And you didn't address my jab on what it's ok to require ID and pay for a background check to exercise one right, but not another. :P

Illegal votes are one thing; the GOP prefers good old fashioned voter intimidation and suppression. If you do that well, you don't need illegal votes.

As for the ID, I'd say that we need not be so simple as to pretend that all liberties are the same. You do not need a license for free speech (and should not to vote, in my opinion) because those acts cannot cause bodily harm to anyone. If you DO use your speech to instigate violence, then that itself is illegal. But guns are an entirely different matter. No one has ever been free speeched or voted to death. We don't have to worry about the mentally ill getting into the voting booth and going on a rampage with their one single vote. When Jared Lee Loughner killed all those people, it wasn't with free speech. When Oswald ALLEGEDLY killed Kennedy, it wasn't by throwing an "I Voted" sticker at him. The fact that we need ID and a background check to exercise our second amendment liberties is directly tied to the responsibility that that liberty carries.
Sister burn the temple

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Coca-Cola Leaves Pro-Voter ID Organization After Democrats Threaten Boycott

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#8 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Massive Non-Citizen Voting Uncovered in Maryland

#9 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

I read that law suit they filed. I find it difficult to believe that non citizens then go on to register to vote, knowing they are doing something illegal. The suit also claims this is based on anecdotal evidence, and that jury summons go back as far at 2004. I find it more likely that these were people who were not interested in serving on a jury, or weren't citizens yet (10 years ago), rather than straight up fraudsters. Why would somebody risk doing this and get kicked out of the country? Also, on such a "massive" scale? Doesn't make sense to me. 

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#10 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

This piece speaks to this issue too:

Could non-citizens decide the November election?

This is why I favor voter ID and keeping the rolls current.

#11 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

This piece speaks to this issue too:

Could non-citizens decide the November election?

This is why I favor voter ID and keeping the rolls current.

From the article:

"We also find that one of the favorite policies advocated by conservatives to prevent voter fraud appears strikingly ineffective. Nearly three quarters of the non-citizens who indicated they were asked to provide photo identification at the polls claimed to have subsequently voted."  Presumably, this should have been handled in the registration part of the process.  ID laws don't mean dick if you're registered and have ID, and non-citizens who are here legally can certainly get a driver's license legally, thus obtaining the ID they need.  So if a non-citizen can walk into a courthouse and register, that is a problem with voter registration and not an issue for poll workers to try to resolve.  Do we really want poll workers empowered to challenge the citizenship of any and every voter who comes in?  Tell me how that will work, without using the words "Spanish" or "brown".

Personally, I have no major issue with non-citizens voting, provided that they're legally allowed to do so.  Especially those with permanent resident status...the laws affect them just as much as anyone else.  Why should non-citizens be allowed to be one of the approximately 2+ million people to serve in our armed forces but not among the 129+ million voters?  Why should they pay sales, income, social security, medicare, property, and other taxes, if they can't contribute to the process of making tax laws in the first place?  I wouldn't necessarily make this possible for someone who just immigrated (legally), but would be fine with a process to earn the right to vote, outside of citizenship. 

Sister burn the temple

#12 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Wow, I am miles apart from Freedom on this issue.  I would fully support stricter criteria on who gets to vote.  Namely if you've been unemployed for an extended period, require social assistance or lack a high school diploma, I don't think you should be out voting.  I believe that being vested in the outcome besides personal benefits at others expense should count for something.  Some 18 year old drop out sleeping in until noon shouldn't have the same voice as a 45 year old who works 40+ hours a week, has a mortgage and bills to pay.  

The notion of allowing people who aren't a citizen to vote is ludicrous to me.  Someone who isn't an American and can bounce back to their native country doesn't have the same interests as someone who has made this country their home.

I also think it's wrong to provide Driver's Licenses to illegals.  Besides maybe Canada, no other nation in the world has the ludicrous immigration policy we have in the US.  I have a co-worker who was born in China and legally immigrated to the US for her Masters and now works for the same Fortune 500 as me.  She's unable to accept any other jobs in the company because she'd have to reset her green card application to the new position and would reset her position in line.  Meanwhile some uneducated person hops the border and could be fast tracked to a legal status.  That's fundamentally wrong and rewards people for bad behavior.  What next, are we going to offer amnesty to Senior Executives who embezzled millions as long as they declare their past transgressions.

I can't write a check without providing an ID.  2 years ago I went back to Ohio to renew my driver's license as it had expired while I was living in Texas and they wouldn't renew it without my SS card, birth certificate and proof from my bank that I had a local account.  Yet some illegal in New Mexico is able to provide a copy of their Comcast bill and have full faith and credit in all 50 states.  My girlfriend is a teacher in Philly and was telling me yesterday how half of her time is dedicated to one student whose parents only speak Spanish and his only exposure to English is at school.  Philly has slashed their budget and nearly all extracurriculars, so having special classes for the children of illegals isn't remotely an option.  So American students are having the quality of their education harmed because Democrats want to attract latino voters. 

If voting is our most sacred right, something I could certainly see the reasoning in, why the hell would we allow people who aren't Americans and who disregard our laws have a say in who makes, enforces and interprets our laws? 

#13 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

The duration of work permit to green card to citizenship was pretty quick just a few years ago, now can take up to 20 years depending on the country of origin. I think expecting people to pay taxes in a country for that long and not have any say in who governs them is wrong.

#14 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Why was there such a dramatic time increase in processing green cards?

#15 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

It's hard to know, I don't think there's an official response to that. I have to wonder if it doesn't have something to do with how many family members are likely to be brought along too.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users