#16 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Giving attention to some guy who appears to be trying to gain attention/controversey/whatever doesn't seem necessary IMO. :mellow: Ignore them.

Agree with wedjat that it's not even shocking any more. That says it all.
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#17 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Giving attention to some guy who appears to be trying to gain attention/controversey/whatever doesn't seem necessary IMO. :mellow: Ignore them.

Agree with wedjat that it's not even shocking any more. That says it all.

Curious how people in your country view these shootings over here?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#18 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Curious how people in your country view these shootings over here?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I think there's a (ill-informed) percentage over here view all Americans as gun nuts who won't want to change the laws over there. When things like this happen, I think the general view is that 'Surely this will cause the gun laws to change', but it just doesn't seem to happen. :mellow: Just bizarre how easy it seems to be to get your hands on a lethal weapon....

Thankfully we have very little incidents like this over here, though this one did bring to mind the Dunblane school shooting (http://en.wikipedia....school_massacre), which happened when I was the same age as most of the victims there. I vaguely remember it...
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#19 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Another shooting this morning at a hospital in Alabama. Fortunately he only wounded three people before the cops shot him dead. (Good job.)

#20 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I think there's a (ill-informed) percentage over here view all Americans as gun nuts who won't want to change the laws over there. When things like this happen, I think the general view is that 'Surely this will cause the gun laws to change', but it just doesn't seem to happen. :mellow: Just bizarre how easy it seems to be to get your hands on a lethal weapon....

Thankfully we have very little incidents like this over here, though this one did bring to mind the Dunblane school shooting (http://en.wikipedia....school_massacre), which happened when I was the same age as most of the victims there. I vaguely remember it...

What are you gun laws over there?

#21 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

UK gun laws are very strict, gun ownership is legal but police permission is required and self defence is not a valid reason to own a gun. only if its work or sport related basically. Public support for this is very, very strong
Show me your dragon magic

#22 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thinking the Unthinkable

#iThing #word
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#23 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Clearly the solution is more guns and prayer, and less access to healthcare. Wonder what would happen if there was one of these massacres in the house or senate?

#24 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

The argument that only criminals do this kind of stuff is BS. Many of these people haven't had a criminal record & how about the folks who shoot others & bring up the castle law or stand your ground? Those people just killed someone too, right? They're criminals now as well.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#25 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

The argument that increased gun ownership reduces gun crime? The guys mother legally owned those guns, she didn't stop it.....

#26 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thinking the Unthinkable

#iThing #word

Art, don't blame you for posting that but don't think articles like that help. It gives a false correlation, the vast majority of aspergers/autism spectrum people don't commit mass murder and likely the majority of mass murderers aren't on the spectrum. Stigmatizing it this way isn't going to help even if that wasn't her intention which it probably wasnt

#27 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

The argument that increased gun ownership reduces gun crime? The guys mother legally owned those guns, she didn't stop it.....

That argument is weak & an oxymoron. That's like the solution to an increase in car accidents is to put more cars on the road.
I've seen some posts on FB bitching about liberal Hollywood glorifying violence in its movies but wanting more gun control. That may be true but these same people pointing that out also tend to accept violence in films but fight tooth & nail to keep sex or nudity out of movies. Which is worse do you think?
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#28 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

A child on the fringe:

http://articles.cour...automatic-rifle

#29 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Art, don't blame you for posting that but don't think articles like that help. It gives a false correlation, the vast majority of aspergers/autism spectrum people don't commit mass murder and likely the majority of mass murderers aren't on the spectrum. Stigmatizing it this way isn't going to help even if that wasn't her intention which it probably wasnt

It was an interesting part of this. As the facts become known it looks like the mother's second amendment sisterhood ran into a troubled child with disastrous results. I am pro gun ownership but I don't own one.

There are two things at work here. What led this unstable kid to contemplate these acts, and the body count afforded by the number and types if weapons he had access to.

I don't want to see guns confiscated or banned. Something I read said the shooter tried to buy additional guns but was not allowed to. Unfortunately his mother's home was an armory.

This reminds me of 9-11. Things slip through and cause grievous harm. The odds of these things are small. Lottery territory. It sucks but the urge to over-correct can be strong after these type of horrible events.

#iThing #word
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#30 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

It just doesn't get any classier than this:

http://deadspin.com/...-night-football

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users