76 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Rex Tillerson, CEO of ExxonMobil, admitted recently that global warming is not a hoax, but that we needn’t worry: "We have spent our entire existence adapting, OK? So we will adapt to this. Changes to weather patterns that move crop production areas around — we’ll adapt to that. It’s an engineering problem, and it has engineering solutions." Tillerson’s buddies at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce added, "Populations can acclimatize to warmer climates via a range of behavioral, physiological and technological adaptations."

Worldwide, a billion people are already dangerously malnourished, with the climate crisis playing a major role. But apparently those facing starvation should stop whining and look forward to "adapting" by "engineering" their bodies to not need food.

And here’s how that "adaptation" thing is going in America. The average July temperature in the US this summer was 5.5 degrees hotter than in 1896. Record-breaking heat and drought are torching two thirds of the country. Natural disasters have been declared in 32 states, the most in our history. Much of the Midwest grain crop has "physiologically adapted" to this new climate, by dying. You and I will soon "financially adapt" by paying a lot more for food.

The wells supplying water to some MidWestern families are "adapting" by drying up. Mississippi River flow is at a 40 year low allowing, among other things, salt water from the Gulf of Mexico to creep north, threatening larger community water supplies.

Forty million acres of Western forests have "acclimatized" to the stress of heat and drought by expiring from pine beetle infestation — a direct result of climate warming. Since 2010, unprecedented wildfires have overwhelmed Western and Southern states. Oklahoma is currently enjoying its turn "adapting" to the new climate — 113-degree temperatures and explosive wildfires roaring across the state.

Warmer, more acidic oceans (from increases in heat-trapping CO2) are forcing the foundation of marine ecosystems — phytoplankton — to "acclimatize" by disappearing. These tiny organisms consume CO2 to produce half the world’s oxygen, equaling that of trees and plants on land. Ocean phytoplankton has fallen 40 percent since 1950. Most of the coral reefs are now "adapting" by bleaching (the first stage of dying). Note to Tillerson and the Chamber: Land and ocean ecosystems are interdependent (Ecology 101). In fact the fossil and climate record shows strong evidence that if marine life is obliterated, land-based ecosystems, the basis for human survival, will "adapt" by collapsing from massive, toxic climate disruptions (see Under a Green Sky by University of Washington paleontology professor, Peter Ward).

Water temperature in Midwestern streams has soared this summer, causing millions of fish to "physiologically adapt" by floating to the surface, dead, including 40,000 sturgeon and numerous endangered species. So many fish died in one Illinois lake that the carcasses clogged a power plant’s intake screen, forcing a partial shutdown.

Water hot enough to kill fish cannot adequately cool nuclear power plants, so they are also "technologically adapting" by becoming more dangerous. Last week, the temperature of the reservoir water used to cool the Illinois Braidwood nuclear power plant exceeded the safety limit of 98 degrees. The end result? Efficiency, safety and power output all drop during extreme heat. The same is true of coal-fired power plants.

The non-profit Electric Power Research Institute, scientists and engineers funded by the power-generating industries themselves, released a study that proponents of nuclear power should have to memorize like the pledge of allegiance. Their study specifically warned of the threat a warming climate posed to all thermoelectric power plants. No U.S. nuclear reactors were designed factoring in water temperatures as high as we are now seeing. All their owners have done so far is ignore the warnings and declare hotter cooling water "safe," as was the case at Braidwood last week and at other nuclear plants as well.

New nuclear reactors approved this year for construction in Georgia, and soon in South Carolina, don’t address this problem, either. It turns out the nuclear industry is "technologically adapting" to our new, more dangerous climate — by ignoring it.

Fossil-fuel cheerleaders continue to claim that we have little to worry about. Apparently, Americans will "behaviorally adapt" to decimated agriculture, ecosystems and energy infrastructure by having our "engineers" help us invade Canada, where it’s cooler.

Whew! That was easy.

Dr. Brian Moench is President of Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment and a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists. He can be reached at: drmoench@yahoo.com
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wowzer!

Washington Republican: Bicycles cause more pollution than cars.

#3 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Oh come on! I'm tired of these fucktard republicans holding office.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#4 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Antarctic Ice is Growing, Even Hit a 'Record,' But Evening News Shows Hype Melting Arctic Instead 

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#5 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

I saw that a few days ago while reading CNN and knew that the issue was over. Any time the issue is debated now I'll just consider it entertainment and change the channel/website.

I actually knew it was over a few years ago when scientists admitted the entire solar system is heating up. Hate to burst bubbles, but that tank of gas I got yesterday isn't warming the ice cap of Mars or shrinking planet size storms on Saturn. If it is, why is that ice sheet growing? What are they putting in our gas to give it these abilities?

Obviously our pollution isn't helping matters but the Sun is just going through one of its cycles. If anything, more focus needs to be placed on studying its fluctuations and stop crying about a bear stranded on an iceberg although I do feel sorry for that bear being used for propaganda purposes.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#6 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

#muhclimatechange #reasons

#7 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Newsbusters, really? Don't make me quote Jill here Art (see sig for more deets)

This is akin to the argument the right wing trots out every winter: Hey it's snowing HERE so clearly this represents the planet in its entirety. 

#8 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Newsbusters, really? Don't make me quote Jill here Art (see sig for more deets)

This is akin to the argument the right wing trots out every winter: Hey it's snowing HERE so clearly this represents the planet in its entirety. 

I saw it on CNN's mobile site so I doubt that site is the source.

We were always told icebergs the size of Texas fall off Antarctica on a regular basis. Now its growing. Those two opposing facts are like mixing oil and frozen yogurt.

Some Lucy out there's got some splainin' to do...

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#9 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

NASA!

http://www.nasa.gov/...ter-than-losses

#10 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

A controversial NASA study says Antarctica is gaining ice. Here’s why you should be skeptical

#11 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

Fair point but anytime someone announces the sky is blue there is a study claiming its red.  Its why I avoid political forums now. ALL sides are 100% correct even when proven wrong.

The solar system is heating up but there's probably a study claiming the sun is drenched in snowflakes.

-Adolf Hitler

#12 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

The solar system is heating up but there's probably a study claiming the sun is drenched in snowflakes.

Artcinco in 3...2...1

#13 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:07 PM

y

Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#14 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:21 AM

Prominent Scientists Declare Climate Claims Ahead of UN Summit ‘Irrational’ – ‘Based On Nonsense’ – ‘Leading us down a false path’

#15 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

NOAA’s climate change science fiction

The environmental intelligence agency ignores satellite data

http://washingtontim...cience-fiction/

#iThing #word

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users