• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

http://www.slate.com...icane_hype.html

logo.gif
Your News Companion
Sept. 8 2017 11:50 AM

Rush Limbaugh Argues Hurricane Forecasts Are Liberal Conspiracies, Is Also Evacuating Because of Hurricane Forecast

This Tuesday, right-wing radio dumbass Rush Limbaugh engaged in an extended hurricane-related rant that has largely been described in the press as an argument that liberal scientists and media figures overhype and manipulate hurricane forecasts in order to advance their global warming agenda. And yes, it was that, but it was also much more. It was also a comical display of masculine overconfidence:

Just as I am the go-to tech guy in my family and here on the staff, when it comes to a hurricane bearing down on south Florida, I’m the go-to guy. Everybody says, “What do you think is going to happen?” The reason for that is that I’m not biased and I have no agenda with my analysis of the data. ... I’ve lived here since 1997, and I have developed a system that I trust, my own analysis of the data. ... Let me just put it this way. The latest National Hurricane Center forecast map, the track, which was released at 11 a.m. puts the Sunday target exactly where I told my buddies on Saturday and Friday night that it was gonna go.

(His buddies know what's up!)

It was an unprovoked attack on the integrity of America's finest big-box home improvement chain:

So the media benefits with the panic with increased eyeballs, and the retailers benefit from the panic with increased sales ... I don’t want to mention brand names because that’s not the point. Let’s call it Basement Depot. Basement Depot huge, huge business, Basement Depot spends gazillions of dollars every year in local advertising in hurricane forced areas.

And it was a devastating indictment of "Big Water":

Do you realize here in south Florida, from where we are all the way down to Miami, you cannot buy bottled water. ... You know, if I were the Big Oil guys I’d be so jealous of the Big Water guys. The Big Water guys don’t have to drill for it. The Big Water guys do not have to spend any research and development money. They don’t have to go through the environmentalist wackos. They just plug into some lake or some tap and fill up some water, put a label on it, put it in grocery store and sell it for more than gasoline costs, in many cases.

Here's the part about forecasts being phony because liberals have infiltrated "government areas."

You have people in all of these government areas who believe man is causing climate change, and they’re hell-bent on proving it, they’re hell-bent on demonstrating it, they’re hell-bent on persuading people of it. So here comes a hurricane that’s 10 to 12 days out and here come the initial model runs, and if it’s close—sometimes it’s not close, sometimes the hurricane will turn to the north out in the mid-Atlantic and there’s no way you can fake that. But if, if they are going to approach a hit on the U.S., you will note that early tracks always have them impacting a major population center. ... Major population centers is where the major damage will take place and where we can demonstrate that these things are getting bigger and they’re getting more frequent and they’re getting worse. All because of climate change.

Anyway, old Rush announced Thursday that his proprietary data analysis threat matrix system has ... convinced him to evacuate the major population center (Palm Beach, Florida) where he records his show.

I'm not going to get into details because of the security nature of things, but it turns out that we will not be able to do the program here tomorrow. ... We'll be on the air next week, folks, from parts unknown. So we'll be back on Monday. It's just that tomorrow is going to be problematic. Tomorrow it would be, I think, legally impossible for us to originate the program out of here.

Legal stuff, you guys. And security... the security nature of things. Is Rush Limbaugh actually a government liberal?

#47 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

Meanwhile in Miami...

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#48 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

Any good lie contains a kernel of truth.

gwF4NYY.jpg

#49 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

And, since I am in the thread, I was going to say something about this, but decided meh...

abstract

Human carbon use during the next century will lead to atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations (pCO2) that have been unprecedented for the past 50–100+ million years according to fossil plant-based CO2 estimates. The paleobotanical record of plants offers key insights into vegetation responses to past global change, including suitable analogs for Earth's climatic future. Past global warming events have resulted in transient poleward migration at rates that are equivalent to the lowest climate velocities required for current taxa to keep pace with climate change. Paleobiome reconstructions suggest that the current tundra biome is the biome most threatened by global warming. The common occurrence of paleoforests at high polar latitudes when pCO2 was above 500 ppm suggests that the advance of woody shrub and tree taxa into tundra environments may be inevitable. Fossil pollen studies demonstrate the resilience of wet tropical forests to global change up to 700 ppm CO2, contrary to modeled predictions of the future. The paleobotanical record also demonstrates a high capacity for functional trait evolution as an additional strategy to migration and maintenance of a species’ climate envelope in response to global change.

If you want to read it: https://www.annualre...t-042817-040405

#50 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

A really good, and long, read with a lot of resources.

Losing Earth: The Decade We Almost Stopped Climate Change

https://www.nytimes....sing-earth.html

#51 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:11 AM

As if it is even a contention, anymore. More evidence supporting the clathrate-gun hypothesis: https://www.eurekale...f-nrf030119.php

I think of what we have left my granddaughter, or her kids, and it is troubling.

#52 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

We've gone 70 days without any appreciable rainfall, and 38 days with nothing at all. The entire month of Sept. was mid to upper 90s(one day a couple of weeks ago it hit 100). The first 3 days of Oct. have been in the mid 90s.

Now, I know this is just a weather extreme(longest drought, and highest temps in history, for this time of year, for this area), but how many extremes does it take to make it a climate event?

On the bright side,I haven't had to mow the yard since August. And, rain is projected for Sunday.

#53 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

NYC yesterday: 93F

NYC today: 53F

Show me your dragon magic

#54 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

My ex-wife's(1st) grandfather would visit in Oct.(from Cheltenham) to avoid the heat. He's probably dead, now, and that might not be a bad thing... loved the guy. He was Labour and sharp as a tack in his 90s. My ex was conservative and we loved chiding her on the inconsistencies of her position... hence, my first divorce.

On topic, that cold front is supposed to hit here, Sunday. waiting in eager anticipation.

#55 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

The cold front came through and dropped us into the 80s(not a drop of rain, though), another one is coming through tomorrow, and supposed to give rain. Fingers crossed.

#56 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:57 PM

Greenland outlet glaciers may be melting more quickly than predicted

Greenland ice mass loss can contribute to sea level rise that surpass the most extreme scenario from the UN body on climate, the IPCC. According to new research headed by DTU and with contributions from GEUS, current climate models underestimate how fast the ice is melting in the Arctic.

Meltwater from the Greenland ice sheet represents the largest contribution to current global sea level rise. But there may very well be mechanisms that are not picked up by the current models for how fast the ice is melting in Greenland.

It turns out that the ice has melted at a much higher rate than we’ve previously assumed. We have acquired this new and more detailed picture by studying ice mass loss over a very long period of time and by analysing old maps, aerial photos, and satellite measurements of the three outlet glaciers, says Professor at DTU Space Shfaqat Abbas Khan, who has headed the research project.

more: https://eng.geus.dk/...20/nov/glaciers

#57 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:20 PM

A bit technical, but this is a good read, and it's open access, so you can download and read later.

Geological Society of London Scientific Statement: what the geological record tells us about our present and future climate

https://jgs.lyellcol...8/1/jgs2020-239

outline of paper:

#58 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:35 PM

A corollary to the Clathrate Gun Hypothesis, or the "oh shit, we fucked up" dilemma, if you will . The end-Permian extinction event, which wiped out 95% of marine species and 70% of terrestrial species, is linked to methane production associated with Siberian Trap volcanism. The Siberian Traps has long been associated with the extinction event. This paper provides one of the mechanisms of the extinction.

The study results provide strong evidence that nickel-rich particles were aerosolized and dispersed widely, both through the atmosphere and into the ocean," Wasylenki said. "Nickel is an essential trace metal for many organisms, but an increase in nickel abundance would have driven an unusual surge in productivity of methanogens, microorganisms that produce methane gas. Increased methane would have been tremendously harmful to all oxygen-dependent life.

https://www.eurekale...u-ngs061821.php

#59 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:55 PM

Future ain't looking so bright. 

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#60 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 12 August 2021 - 01:58 PM

Gotta wear shades.

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users