6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Writing about Rep. Eric Cantor’s  (R-Va.) stunning primary defeat last week, I warned Democrats that the House majority leader’s loss was as much a wake-up call for them as it was for the GOP. Well, now I want to warn them about a very real possibility: President Obama will be impeached if the Democrats lose control of the U.S. Senate.

Yeah, yeah, I read Aaron Blake’s astute piece in The Post on the impeachment process. He says “probably not” to the question of whether the House could impeach Obama. But “probably” is not “definitely.” And with the way the impeachment talk has gone, “probably not” could become “absolutely” if the Senate flips to the Republicans.

Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.) became the latest to openly discuss impeaching the president. In response to a question from a radio host on Monday, the two-term congressman who was swept in during the tea party wave of 2010, said, Obama is “just absolutely ignoring the Constitution and ignoring the laws and ignoring the checks and balances.” Articles of impeachment, he added, “probably could” pass in the House.

In a later interview, Barletta said one of the reasons he wouldn’t vote for impeachment was because a Democrat-controlled Senate would never convict the Democrat president. Blake also mentions this parenthetically in his piece. Others who have talked about impeachment point to this as the reason not to pursue the extraordinary political rebuke.

Last August at a town hall meeting, Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Tex.) cited the Senate as a reason for not pursuing impeachment. “If we were to impeach the president tomorrow, you could probably get the votes in the House of Representatives to do it,” he said in response to a constituent upset about “the fraudulent birth certificate of Barack Obama” and who wanted him punished. “But it would go to the Senate and he wouldn’t be convicted.” A week later, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) was asked, “Why don’t we impeach him [Obama]?” His answer was similar to Farenthold’s. “It’s a good question,” the freshman senator said, “and I’ll tell you the simplest answer: To successfully impeach a president you need the votes in the U.S. Senate.”

Actually, impeachment is a two-step process that starts in the House. All it takes is a simple majority of that chamber to approve a single article of impeachment against the president for “Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” Once that happens, a president is forever branded as having been impeached. President Andrew Johnson (1868) and President Bill Clinton (1998) share that distinction. President Richard Nixon resigned in 1974 before the full House could vote to impeach him.

To officially remove a president from office, two-thirds of the Senate must vote to convict him on those articles of impeachment. Johnson and Clinton were not convicted. Obama could share the same or worse fate. A Republican-controlled Senate could lead to Obama becoming the third president impeached and the first ever to be removed from office.

I don’t make this prediction lightly. The tea party-infused GOP has done things many once believed impossible. I’m thinking specifically about the two instances it brought the nation and the world to the brink of economic ruin because of its resistance to raising the debt ceiling. If Republicans are willing to ignore their leadership and jeopardize the full faith and credit of the United States, there really is nothing they aren’t willing to do. And a Republican takeover of the Senate would only embolden them.

I’ve said this before and I’ll keep repeating it until the message sinks in for Democrats inclined to sit out the midterms: Obama is not on the ballot in November, but Obama is on the ballot in November. Democrats have it in their power to keep the Senate and save the Obama presidency from the all-but-certain asterisk of impeachment. Whether they use it is a very real concern.

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

I can't think of anything worse for Republicans than to have impeached the last two Democratic Presidents.  Is there any other way to make your party seem more petty? 

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Bad optics.

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#4 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Eh, i don't think Obama should be impeached.  But I do believe the left should pull their heads out of the sand and admit that it's a major problem that their golden boy refuses to uphold the laws he is obligated by the constitution to perform.  His assassination/murder of an American citizen is just unthinkable to me.  For all the grief the left gave Bush for pouring water over the mouths of known terrorist, then to remain silent when Obama has a citizen executed with no trial or case made to the public.  Anyone who isn't outraged by this loses any credibility at the notion of interest in democracy or the constitution. 

Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#5 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Do we have an open southern border now?

#6 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I lived in El Paso for 2 years. Crossing the border isn't as hard as you think. Mexicans can get day passes all they want. They just don't come back to Mexico. Coyotes exist because border patrol won't let people cross without identification and people walking with all they own raise eyebrows.

That's why I support congress suing him. His absolute refusal to enforce our border laws and then redefine what deportation means in order to create a talking point is so laughable that I instantly lose respect for anyone who cites it as a defense of Obama.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not Obama but close by...

Ted Cruz: Eric Holder Should Appoint IRS Special Prosecutor or Be Impeached

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users