#1 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:17 AM

God I loved the 80s and wrestling will never be that good again. I wasn't even a big fan of the guy but that whole era of wrestling was incredible. The highlights in that video bring back great memories.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thats when they temporarily lost me as a fan. I went a couple years without watching. The Megapowers angle was brilliant. Then it got a bit stupid with that Zeus crap. Kept watching though. Then when the Warrior thing started I saw it for what it was...Mcmahon force feeding us a second rate Hulkamania clone. I checked out. I did go to a friend's house to watch that main event for shits and giggles and wasn't surprised how it turned out.

When I heard about that lame Iraq storyline with Sgt. Slaughter I watched a bit of that but there was no questioning it was because the Warrior era was a clusterfuck and Mcmahon had to get the belt back on Hogan as quickly as possible.

1984-89 was the golden age. WWF and NWA/WCW.  Even AWA and World Class were pretty good for a few years.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#4 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

WWF lost me as a fan during that and WCW lost me in 89 with that lame "Iron Man" tournament for Starrcade. 

-Adolf Hitler

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

I met Hulk in Tampa briefly one night. He was a very nice guy, laid back and chill. That's all I know about Hulk. Never watched him growing up, wasn't my thing. 

Edit: And he walks really slow btw, haha. Dude is beat up. 

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#6 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:26 AM

You should watch some of that era on youtube sometime. Especially the Hogan-Savage-Elizabeth Megapowers storyline. Incredible soap opera.

Here's a good interview with those two right after they formed the Megapowers...

-Adolf Hitler

#7 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:25 AM

Loved Randy Savage...all these guys had voices that you could imitate as a kid.   Ooohh, Yeah!

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#8 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:41 AM

This was brilliant...

Really sad that both Savage and Elizabeth are already dead.

edit: Just watched that whole segment. Elizabeth's acting here is terrible. She's trying to hold back laughter when she's supposed to be in pain.

This heel turn was so dramatic then so I guess it was easy to overlook that happening on live TV.

-Adolf Hitler

#9 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:48 AM

The infamous Hogan heel turn to usher in the "New World Order"...

-Adolf Hitler

#10 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hulk was a good entertianer, but a shit wrestler.

#11 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

Looks like he's winning against GAWKER.

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#12 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

The Attitude era was the best era you old farts.

"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

Looks like he's winning against GAWKER.

What was that about? His sex tape?

The best part about that was when this girl was going down on him, the phone rings, and he fucking picks it up. Girl kept doing her thing. Couldn't believe it....

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#14 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

^ yes

#iThing #word
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#15 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:01 AM

The Attitude era was the best era you old farts.

I watched a bit of late 90s wrestling. A totally different beast and they are so lucky a new generation latched on to it because old school "rasslin'" fans threw in the towel.

You're a bit younger so you probably didn't watch wrestling in the 80s or previous decades. Kayfabe existed. The fans knew it was fake but was presented as real and there was enough suspension of disbelief to keep you drawn in. In the mid-late 90s, they let the crowd in on the joke and it permanently altered the wrestling landscape. It can never go back.

I do realize it had to evolve into something different. The internet changed everything. Websites told you who won matches BEFORE they occurred! Also factor in the so called "shoot" interviews where old school wrestlers gave you a peak behind the curtain. Mcmahon actually admitted it was fake in 89 for financial reasons(insurance costs, etc.) but the kayfabe era lasted a few more years anyways. 

I believe they should have stuck with the "Attitude" concept once it took off. Years later when they decided to make it PG in an attempt to draw in a young audience again, it was beyond absurd and I don't understand how it has ANY audience. 

-Adolf Hitler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users