#16 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

Roth with VH at the 2015 Billboard awards. God help us all...

I think this weird stage act he does would actually be more suited for his solo material. 

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#17 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:37 AM

Super Mario brother on meth...

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#18 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:58 AM

Best songs from Skyscraper. First one takes me back to 7th grade. 

I love the line "no special favors make it out to cash..."

This song kinda makes me sad...

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#19 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

It was pretty much downhill after skyscraper wasn't it? 

Loved this song though. (and btw @ 1:14 my gym is almost that awesome here in Vegas, never ending views   B) .) 

But by 1991, this video shtick was getting tired, despite the song being lots of fun. Grunge was encroaching and that whole fun-time-surfer-Dave was looking silly as he aged too. 

#20 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

It was pretty much downhill after skyscraper wasn't it? 

Yes and its crazy(from the heat) in hindsight. Skyscraper was a minor hit but GNR was on the verge of taking over the world and that brand of rock leaving him in the dust. He needed a quick album release in 89 to keep his name continually out there. Skyscraper didn't have enough great songs on it to propel him through several years. Other bands from the era had a Hysteria, AFD, New Jersey,etc. to coast on until the early 90s. 

But by 1991, this video shtick was getting tired, despite the song being lots of fun. Grunge was encroaching and that whole fun-time-surfer-Dave was looking silly as he aged too. 

While he had some problems late 80s, grunge was absolutely the final nail in his coffin. ALAE had a good single/title track but the album blew and even if it had been Dark Side of the Moon, nobody cared.  Like you said, the shtick was old and all of us kids who loved Yankee Rose had moved on to more mature, modern music. I've wondered if Dave ever had a clue as to what the Eat Em demographic was. Yes there were older VH fans that may have liked it but the rest was 10-11 year old kids loving the vids and fun, catchy songs. Your music has to grow up as they do to keep them.

Bands like GNR, Def Leppard, Jovi, Aerosmith, VH,  Metallica survived the grunge wave but acts like Dave couldn't. I bet that hurt especially when he turned on MTV in 91 and Poundcake is in constant rotation.

He sadly missed the boat in 96 with VH. The world was ready with open arms to embrace him but he fucked it all up from day 1. Because of his ego the world had to suffer through Cherone VH. 

-Adolf Hitler

#21 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

Bands like GNR, Def Leppard, Jovi, Aerosmith, VH,  Metallica survived the grunge wave but acts like Dave couldn't. I bet that hurt especially when he turned on MTV in 91 and Poundcake is in constant rotation.

Dave really had that image, and while he certainly wasn't hair metal, it was just as disposable as hair metal once the 90s rolled in. Spandex, frizzed out hair, girls in bikinis, motorcycles etc. I do wonder how VH would have fared at that time if he was still the lead singer.

He sadly missed the boat in 96 with VH. The world was ready with open arms to embrace him but he fucked it all up from day 1. Because of his ego the world had to suffer through Cherone VH. 

I remember when he walked out on stage and everybody went nuts. I was totally stoked, and then they released VH3 shortly after. There was also this in play, that I only found out about a couple of years ago. 

The more I read about EVH over the last couple of years, I suspect he's a huge PITA too. Hagar (although not surprisingly) had some stories about both Roth and Eddie-neither flattering. I tend to believe Hagar for some reason. I guess because he seems so down to earth and laid back. 

During the 90s I'd see stories of Roth and it was always kind of pathetic. He usually looked like crap, especially his hair, and people always made jokes about him. It reminded me of Shelley Long leaving Cheers for this big career, and then fading away. I also wondered about his money too, like how long could the VH days carry this guy who had lost all his fame in the next decade? Being caught trying to buy 10 dollars worth of weed seemed like a low point too. 

So good to see him back with VH, even if his voice sucks. It's the best he'll ever do, regardless of what his ego says. 

#22 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

haha, check this ad out: 

#23 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:10 PM

Like with GNR, there was tons of politics going on behind the scenes that fans weren't aware of.  Especially that shit with Malloy. I don't think we'll ever get the full story on that but I highly doubt they had any real intention of that if they were willing to forgive Roth and do a reunion. Once it imploded VH tried to say they weren't serious about it. Bullshit. You don't show up with Roth at the 96 VMAs with the world watching if you don't have plans. Instead of Mitch being plan B he was plan fuck up but going with Cherone was even worse. Yes he was a mainstream singer but that didn't even look good on paper. If going the has been route, go with Baz. 

EVH "healthy" when Malloy was dealing with him? Uhh....no. Eddie was strung out on meth while also drinking like a fish.

His comments are interesting.    MTV telling EVH "if you want us to support new VH you have to present an award with Roth." I do not believe that for a second. They would have did that to other bands as well if it were true.

He was smart to quit though. Saved EVH from having to fire him. That version of VH was never going to happen.

That VH song he finally added lyrics/vocals to(what did he think it was, Chinese Democracy?) sounds pretty good.

I also believe anything Roth or Hagar say over VH. The VH brothers do not have a good track record on speaking the truth. 

-Adolf Hitler

#24 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

Those ads are great. God I miss the 80s. Everything about it.

-Adolf Hitler

#25 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

Roth should reunite the EE&S lineup, tour and do a new record. The threat of it may trigger a new Roth VH album or drive Eddie into reuniting Van Hagar. Win-win.

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#26 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:55 AM

Interesting. This is popping up.

David Lee Roth: Going Crazy (Radio Broadcast 1986)

Release Date: December 11, 2015

Live album (2015)
Radio Broadcast KSWM 1986

David Lee Roth - vocals
Steve Vai - guitar
Billy Sheehan - bass
Gregg Bissonette - drums

1. Shy Boy
2. Tobacco Road
3. Panama
4. Solo
5. Pretty Woman
6. Elephant Gun
7. Ladies Night In Buffalo
8. Everybody Wants Some
9. On Fire
10. Bump And Grind
11. Ice Cream Man
12. Big Trouble
13. Yankee Rose
14. Solo - Steve & Bill
15. Aint Talkin Bout Love
16. Going Crazy
17. Jump
18. California Girls

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B015EW77S6

http://www.bontonlan...broadcast-1986/

I know companies release live bootlegs all the time. Is this a coincidence with the timing or is something else going on?

One other thing, a $13.99 price tag for cds is just ridiculous in this day and age. One of many reasons people will just wait a nanosecond after release and give it a spin on spotify.

-Adolf Hitler

#27 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:59 AM

Maybe they are simply capitalizing on Roth's uptick in appeal thanks to being reunited with Van Halen? I can't imagine a bootleg of Roth would have garnered half the attention in 2001 for instance. 

Buying a CD...what's that? I think the last CD I purchased was maybe Def Leppard back in 2008? Pirate Bay FTW. 

Back to Roth...I've always wondered how much coin that guy has? I can't remember where I read this, but  the Van Halen brothers apparently always blew through their money. Often times teetering on the edge of being outright broke. I may have read this in Sammy's book....anyway, given that Roth had a long dry spell, I always wondered. 

#28 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:27 AM

Dave seems very frugal. Never been seen driving fancy cars or living it up in mansions. Kinda strange considering his character. His near disappearance early 90s-mid 00s doesn't help either.

Almost shit my pants just now reading that Daryl Hall recently told Hagar that Eddie was talking to him in 85 about VH. CRAZY. I know Patti Smyth was considered for a nanosecond but no one had heard anything about Hall. I cant even imagine a Hall fronted VH although in a weird way it makes sense considering the keyboard and pop direction they went in with 1984.

-Adolf Hitler

#29 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hall in VH? What???

I know Smyth considered it but I think wanted to be a Mom so it was off the table. I can see her way before Daryl, and I'm a huge fan of Hall and Oates. 

Interesting, from Wiki: According to Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates, "[Eddie] Van Halen told me that he copied the synth part from 'Kiss on My List' and used it in ‘Jump.’ I don't have a problem with that at all."[10]

#30 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of which, Live from Daryl's house is a great show. I need to catch up on a lot of episodes. If you love music, I can't see how you wouldn't like this show. 

Here is the episode with Sammy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users