17 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

Scott Weiland, the former frontman for rock bands Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, has died, his Facebook page confirmed early Friday morning (Dec. 4).

Weiland and his latest band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, are scheduled to tour this month with upcoming dates at Reno, NV on Dec. 18 and City Winery in Napa on Dec. 19. The band was in Minnesota for a tour date at the Medina Ballroom. According to TMZ, Weiland was found dead on the band's tour bus.

The singer turned 48 on Oct. 27. Weiland long suffered from substance abuse issues.

A California native, Weiland formed the band Stone Temple Pilots with brothers Robert and Dean DeLeo and saw huge commercial success in the 1990s. In  1993, the band’s debut album Core peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 followed by an even bigger achievement a year later in 1994, when STP released the No. 1 album Purple, which contained several radio hits including the songs “Big Empty,” “Vasoline” and “Interstate Love Song.”

The band would eventually land 11 top 10 hits on the Alternative Songs chart, including the three-week No. 1 "Between the Lines" in 2010. "Interstate Love Song" led the Mainstream Rock Songs chart for 15 weeks.

Featuring Weiland’s distinctive lower register singing style, a sort of growl that grew ever more popular in the post-grunge years, STP went on to sell 13.5 million albums in the U.S., according to Nielsen Music, but infighting eventually drove the members apart.  The band took the first of several hiatuses just a few years after reaching their apex of their popularity, during which Weiland participated in several side projects.

Stone Temple Pilots would carry on in various incarnation in the coming years. Most recently, the group recruited Linkin Park singer Chester Pennington to handle frontman duties. He announced his exit from the group on Nov. 9.

In 2002, Weiland joined former Guns N' Roses members Slash (guitars), Duff McKagan (bass) and Matt Sorum (drums) in a supergroup called Velvet Revolver. They released an album called Contraband in June 2004 and another in 2007 called Libertad, the last to feature Weiland on vocals. Combined, they sold 2.4 million units.

By then, Weiland had weathered several public run-ins with the law, mostly due to drug use and driving under the influence. In 1995, the singer was convicted of buying crack cocaine and sentenced to probation. In 2003 and 2007 Weiland was arrested for D.U.I. Heroin was also a drug of choice for Weiland, who had check into a rehabilitation facility but did not finish the program, according to reports around 2007.

Tributes to the late singer have been pouring in from all over the music world. Former MTV VJ and longtime radio personality Matt Pinfield wrote on Facebook “I am speechless … and sad at the loss of my friend, and although many of you are probably not surprised, it doesn't make it any easier. Addiction sucks. I will miss you Scott.”

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:18 AM

I'm in shock. A huge part of 90s culture. He had battled his demons for eons but doesn't make this any less tragic. While he was doing solo album/tour many thought another STP reunion was on the horizon.

I'm with those who started to view him as a more modern day Bowie than the Vedder clone tag he got when STP first hit the scene. 

RIP

Will be listening to STP and VR tonight. I gotta check out his latest album. I never listened to any of it.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#3 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:20 AM

including the three-week No. 1 "Between the Lines" in 2010.

I don't even remember that. I remember the STP reunion imploding but I gotta get that album as well.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:32 AM

Not really a surprise I guess, but still sucks. I kinda always saw him as the guy who wouldn't succumb to his drug problem. I know that sounds odd, but it seems like if people get past a certain age with addiction then they go on living like anybody else.

So many of these guys from the 90s have checked out now, Alice in Chains, STP, Nirvana....unreal. 

Just did a few Velvet Revolver tunes, and AOA now. 

#5 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:42 AM

Yeah like Keith Richards. People always made jokes about it but that's it. Now it really happened.

I only gave a couple of those AOA songs a spin. Wasn't impressed. I'll check it out again.

That Core- No. 4 run can stand proudly next to almost any discography especially in that time frame. 

-Adolf Hitler

#6 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:07 AM

His last interview...

-Adolf Hitler

#7 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

He sounded completely fucked up there. ^^^

#8 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

Yes he did. It reminds me of that recent Jani vid I posted.

Love that performance of Plush. I am listening to Tiny Music right now and some of these songs are incredible.

On some of the GNR forums people are using this to add to their speculation on a reunion. Wake the fuck up. The guy just died hours ago and it has ZERO ramifications on a reunion. I'd love to pop the bubble some of these people live in.

-Adolf Hitler

#9 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:17 AM

His last performance...

-Adolf Hitler

#10 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:22 AM

That's one of my favorite STP songs for sure ^^^

He looked so young/different on that acoustic video, which was great btw. 

What a shame man...

#11 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:14 AM

This video is pretty sad. He isn't nodding out but is obviously in either a heroin or oxy haze. Lack of eye contact, delayed reactions,etc.  Jesus. 

edit: Inexcusable for the interviewer to need to ask Weiland if his solo album is out yet. Do some research for fucks sake. Would only take a 2 second google search.

"I've been off drugs for 13 years"

*says that while higher than a kite*

-Adolf Hitler

#12 Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

His last performance...

Sounded pretty good here.

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto