19 replies to this topic

#1 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

What's new in the sport? How do you think the originals would compare with today's fighters?
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#2 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Todays fighters are way to rounded . Just look at the Matt Hughes vs Gracie fight Matt hand gracie his ass. The Brock / Mir rematch is one I am looking forward to .

#3 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

I think the more Brock Lesnar fights the better he will get. In the WWE world and the UFC world, he is very well respected.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#4 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

I think if anyone can come in around his weight class that he can't just roll over like bowling pins, then he's gonna have a fight on his hands, Couture just got caught for a split second & that's how he lost, not taking anything away from Brock, he's a machine but Couture was holding his own quite well for awhile, I do see Lesnar being champ for awhile though cuz right now there is no one in his league..... Rampage Jackson & Lesnar would be great though!!!!
If you stay ready.....you never have to get ready!!!

#5 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Yeah and I think Rampage has the edge. Couture is a pioneer in the sport. He is also 45 years old. I think he is remarkable to do what he does.

#6 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Tito Ortiz at 33 yrs. old believes he is the new man to hold the sport but will not fight int he UFC because he feels they don't do the right thing money wise for him. Ortiz said Couter is 45 and his days are probably behind him...He also said he respects and likes Chuck "The Iceman" Lidell. He also thinks Lidell is a yes man and is punch drunk and should take speech lessons. He didn't say if he would fight Lidell again because he has already fought him and what's the point. He said he knows that Lidell thinks he's a pussy but he is just saying that because Dana White is his boy. If asked again whether or not he would fight Lidell again he said not in the UFC but also was vague on fighting him anywhere right now because of recovering from a back surgery. Lidell said it has nothing to do with the UFC or an injury, it all has to do with Ortiz dodging him over the years let alone many other fighters. Lidell says he fights whoever and where ever and Tito fights for whatever is good for Tito and that includes years of avoidance. Lidell said he'd rather let someone else fight him for the purse because Tito is a pussy with a big mouth and never backs it up.

#7 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

Spike TV has the replay of Lesnar vs. Couture coming on at 9, if you didn't buy the pay per view it's worth checking out, good fights the whole evening!!!

#8 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Tomorrow is the big fight Fedor Vs. Andrei Arlovski. Fedor doesn't look fit but is a master at his art!

#9 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

That will be a great fight,also next Sunday the rematch between St. Pierre & Penn, I love St. Pierre, he is one of the most well rounded fighter (if not the most) in the sport, and I don't much care for Penn but ya gotta respect his ability, another great submission expert.

#10 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

You never know? Anyone can be on his game and beat his opponent in these bouts.

#11 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

Very True

#12 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Keep lining them up. Fedor Emelianenko will take down all comers with ease.

Andrei Arlovski looked to be giving the stoic Russian some trouble on his feet in the Affliction: Day of Reckoning main event, but Emelianenko, the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts champion, never really blinked. Arlovski pushed Fedor into the corner with a right hand and a front kick.

When Arlovski got aggressive and tried a flying knee, Fedor blasted him with an overhand right hand that appeared to lift Arlovski further into the Honda Center air. Emelianenko (29-1, 1 no-contest) knocked the former UFC heavyweight champ out cold. Referee John McCarthy stopped the fight at 3:14 of the first. While Fedor's supporters rushed into the ring he simply walked to the opposite corner and stared into the crowd as Arlovski laid face first on the mat.

CAGE WRITER POST-FIGHT AUDIO: Arlovski says he flushed his chance down the toilet but that Fedor can be beaten

CAGE WRITER POST-FIGHT AUDIO: Fedor answers critics and says Arlovski never posed a threat

It had to finish this way. From the Fedor's stoicism to the scene set for the main event by Fedor's music, it was surreal. The booming Russian tune playing during his entrance had you immediately think Drago from Rocky IV. Then instead of an imposing 6-foot-5, 300 pound blond walking into the ring, a guy who looks like your chubby neighbor is standing across from Arlovski.

Arlovski (14-6) landed good shots and looked very dangerous, but Fedor just kept stalking him with hands in a very low position. As the fight drifted to the corner, you'll never a more serene fighter than Fedor. It's pretty amazing when a 6-5, 237-pounder is lobbing bombs your way.

That makes it two former UFC heavyweight champs that Fedor has destroyed fighting under the Affliction banner. He beat Tim Sylvia in 36 seconds at Affliction 1 in July
Posted Image

#13 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

Fedor vs. Brock up next???

#14 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

I don't think so. He needs a couple more fights and boxing training. It also depends on the affiliation they are with. We'll see but Lesnar is the real deal according to many fighters. You never know though? Maybe by the end of 2009 or in mid 2010.

#15 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Honestly, I would like to see a rematch with Frank Mir right away, I know it was Brocks first fight but if Mir beat him again, he wouldn't have a word to say except "That's the 2nd time Frank beat me" :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users