81 replies to this topic

#1 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

First, let me preface this with FUCK ALL YOU HATERS! So the fuck what, what are your fears? That being said, fuck Louisville, go Sienna. sorry to all the OSU fans, I too, love our guys from up North.

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Those two overtime games last night were fun to watch. I was fully in the tank for OSU, being from Big 10 (11) country, but that kid from Sienna hitting those TWO great shots...well, I'll certainly be rooting for them in the next round (where L'ville will surely dismember them...but I hope not).
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Damn! Sienna almost pulled it off. I guess that I should explain my opening remarks. Since the inception of the NCAA Tournament, this is only the 6th time(other than the three probation years 20 years ago) that Kentucky has not received an invitation to the tournament, and the first time(again, other than those three probationary years) in 30 years with no appearance. Most of the sports blogs, and forums, are giddy that UK did not make the tourney this year. Because of our winning tradition, and records, UK is the team that people love to hate, but we will be back, and the other teams have a long road to travel to match UK's accomplishments.

#4 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Louisville is still dancing....I'll wait until the 16.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#5 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

Gillispie is fired in his second season at the University of Kentucky.

http://www.kentucky....ory/741229.html

#6 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

From the article...Gillispie had a record of 40-27, a winning percentage of .597. That was the lowest winning percentage for a UK basketball coach since Basil Hayden had a 3-13 record in 1926-27.

#7 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

Rumor has it that Billy Donovan will be coming to UK this time around. He is known to have an out in his contract that permits him to leave Florida is the UK job is ever offered. Two years ago, coming off back to back NCAA titles at UF, he declined the job. I would love to see Donovan at UK, he was an assistant under Pitino back in the 90s, so he knows the program, and the school. I would also love to see Calapari hired, if only for the simple reason that he and Pitino hate each other.

#8 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

I know Billy personally and have no inclination that he is interested in the job. He turned down pro money to stay at Florida. His dedication to the Florida team came first and foremost....Yes he lives in Kentucky now, but has been there for a few years now...He's a Pitino boy as well... college through pro. You never know but I'd be surprised, because he's a real loyal guy. He was as shy as hell when younger and when I see him interviewed now, I have to chuckle....
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#9 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Donovan's statement:

In response to the rumors circulating about my interest in other jobs, I wanted to address this as quickly as possible," Donovan said in a statement. "I am committed to the University of Florida and look forward to continuing to build our program here.

There is a lot of equivocation in that statement. He could have shut the rumor mill by saying "NO", but he didn't.

Also, ESPN is reporting that sources close to Calipari have said that he is VERY interested in the job.

There are a hand full of schools in the country that make a legendary coach... Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, IU(not so much anymore)... ect. If a coach wants to make it to the next level, he has to do it at one of those schools.

#10 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

They (the officials) sure as hell tried to give Kansas that win tonight. Lot more ticky-tack fouls called against MSU.

Donovan's statement:
There are a hand full of schools in the country that make a legendary coach... Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, IU(not so much anymore)... ect. If a coach wants to make it to the next level, he has to do it at one of those schools.

To some extent I agree...in other ways I disagree. Those schools have legendary histories, but in most cases they're very much tied up in one coach.

Krzyzewski has been at Duke since the early 80s, and no one has even 1/3 the wins he has at that school. So, is it a legendary program or just a legendary coach? Same applies to Smith at UNC, Knight at IU, Wooden at UCLA, and Rupp at UK. But those schools haven't produced legend after legend (Pitino's runs at UK and Louisville and Williams at Kansas and UNC are beginning to add up to a serious body of work, if they can add another championship to their records).

Edit: Of course, it goes without saying that those are jobs you leave other jobs for.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#11 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Rupp sort of defined basketball at UK, and really still does. His tenure(1930=72): 5 national titles(one pre-NCAA) 1 runner up 7 final fours 21 appearances in the tournament 14 conference tournament championships 20 conference championships Joe B.(72-85) 1 national title 1 runner up 3 final fours 9 tournament appearances 1 conference tournament championship 8 conference championships Eddie Sutton(86-89) 2 tournament appearances 2 conference tournament championships 1 conference championship "The Dark Ages" 89-91 Kentucky was banned from post-season play and television appearances. All stats for those years had an asterisk beside the totals indicating no eligibility leading to the popular t-shirt "You can kiss our asterisk". UK was a top ranked team through out the period. Pitino(89-97) 1 national title 1 runner up 3 final fours 6 tournament appearances 5 conference tournament championships 2 conference championships Tubby Smith(98-07) 1 national title 1 final four 10 tournament appearances 5 conference tournament championships 5 conference championships Billy Clyde(07-yesterday) 1 tournament appearence So, as you can see, it is not one coach at the University of Kentucky. While Adoph Rupp might be considered a legend in college basketball, he does not define the program at Kentucky. Oh, BTW, Rupp invented basketball... at least how it is played today.

#12 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

Krzyzewski has been at Duke since the early 80s, and no one has even 1/3 the wins he has at that school.

Krzyzewski at Duke 760-215 (.780)
Rupp at UK 876-190 (.822)
Knight at IU 661–240
Smith at UNC 879-254

...ect

#13 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

Billy is only 44-45 so he's young for a coach and to his credit has done a good job while at Florida. He did sign to coach pro last year with ? Miami or Orlando but backed out quickly after some of his recruits started to look to leave the school.....I don't think Billy made the statement about going to the next level at those specific school's, I think that was an ESPN reporter. I could be wrong though...

#14 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

I think that Billy D's contract is up this year, and as I said before, It has been reported that he has an out if a position opens up at Kentucky. I don't really know if he would be the best fit here, but he is surely loved by the people. Hell, he single handedly converted many UK faithful into Gator fans... that is saying a lot.

#15 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

Unless one is from Indiana, one probably doesn't understand the obsession with college hoops that infect Kentucky. From one end of the state, to the other, once Fall rolls around, it is all that people talk about. Hell, take me as an example. I don't follow any sports, other than college hoops. Even disinterested people here follow the Cats. There are legendary stories of divorce battles being fought over the season tickets, people re-arranging their marriages so it doesn't conflict with a game. Hell, it is said that if UK is playing, people don't even die. I should add-one of the things that really gripes Pitino's ass is that he only has about half of the support of the populace of Louisville(the rest being UK fans), and once outside of the metro, it dwindles to nothing. Cardinal Stadium is right beside I-65 in Louisville, a couple of years ago someone had a billboard beside the stadium erected that read "Welcome to Kentucky-Home of the Wildcats".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users