12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

ZURICH – Director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss police as he flew in for the Zurich Film Festival and faces possible extradition to the United States for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, authorities said Sunday. Polanski was scheduled to receive an honorary award at the festival when he was apprehended Saturday at the airport, the Swiss Justice Ministry said in a statement. It said U.S. authorities have sought the arrest of the 76-year-old director around the world since 2005. "There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming," ministry spokesman Guido Balmer told The Associated Press. "That's why he was taken into custody." Polanski, the director of such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby," fled the U.S. for France in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with the underage girl. Polanski has asked a U.S. appeals court in California to overturn a judges' refusal to throw out his case. He claims misconduct by the now-deceased judge who had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it. His victim, Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, has joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over. She sued Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement. Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf said the director will remain in Zurich until the conclusion of the extradition proceedings. The United States now has 60 days to file a formal request for Polanski's transfer, she said. A U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman in Washington declined to comment on the case Sunday. Polanski's French lawyer, Georges Kiejman, told France-Inter radio that it was "too early to know" if Polanski would be extradited. "The proceedings must take their course," he said Sunday. "For now we are trying to have the arrest warrant lifted in Zurich."
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

Why since 2005? Who woke up and decided that 30 some odd years later that NOW is the time? Boy, those wheels of justice sure move fast.
You Commie, Homo Loving Sons of Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

He supposedly has been thumbing his nose at the authorities for years as well. I don't know giving a 13 year old a lude and liquor and anally raping her???? He's garbage, like his films or not. She just doesn't want her name brought anymore.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#4 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

yea but he was hiding in plain sight!

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

yea but he was hiding in plain sight!

Well he was in a country that would not extradite him for most of that time.

#6 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

oh please, if we wanted him that badly it could have happened. someone woke up in 2005 and decided to make this a mission. On the other hand, though....he should finally be made to pay for this.

#7 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

This was way before my time, were people freaking out back then like they did with Michael Jackson?
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#8 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

Geez, even I am not old enough for this to be "in my time." I mean, I was alive but I was what, like 3?

#9 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

Pisses me off that a lot of Hollywood would just give the dude a pass for being a pedo.

#10 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

I don't know what to think about this. I've never heard of it before this week. Hell, it happened before I was born! Obviously the dude should serve time, but the plea bargain issue strikes me as just the sort of thing that would lead to a successful appeal. I don't know enough about how it works, but I do know that judges can accept or not accept plea deals. Accepting, beginning punishment, and then changing...that's unlikely to be upheld as fair, if it's truly what happened. Shame, when people walk on such technicalities, but the larger issue is protecting the people from malicious prosecution and if it means some of the guilty walk then that's the price you pay.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#11 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Pisses me off that a lot of Hollywood would just give the dude a pass for being a pedo.

Saw a headline today that Woody Allen was calling for his release....and he obviously wants the guy who left his wife for her daughter on his side.
Show me your dragon magic

#12 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

What's with these guys? The thing is, this can't be taken care of without the hoopla. When you have the hoopla, you waste tax dollars.

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

Saw a headline today that Woody Allen was calling for his release....and he obviously wants the guy who left his wife for her daughter on his side.

Woody Allen? Ha, what a joke.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users