22 replies to this topic

#1 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

Some of you may been interested in what my thoughts are on Iraq. Especially considering the many "discussions" we had on the issue the past few years. First off, let me state that what goes on over here isn't anything like what is portrayed on TV. That goes both ways; not as grim and not as great. I'm in Northern Iraq and bounce between Kirkuk and Mosul. If you've been following the news, you know what's been going on in these two cities. Daily attacks, mortars every where you go. To say it makes you a tad anxious would be an understatement. But, you suck it up and drive on and do the mission you're sent here to do. The Iraqis by and large are good people. They want security and safety like anyone else in the West. They want food in their stomachs, a TV at home and a good job. Their Army is corrupt as hell, but they're working on it and are getting some good training by US and British forces. I have to be careful in what I say due to classified material, but I've been involved in a couple of the big stories you've probably seen on the news. It's really cool meeting members of the Coalition forces. We have the local Sheik come in once a month and get to find out what his thoughts are in the local populace and is very helpful. My job over here is a Platoon leader and the Soldiers do an awesome job every single day. I'll make Captain a few months after we get back to the States, so my time working directly with Soldiers is going to come to an end for a few years until I get a Company Command. But as I'm the only officer at my primary location, and have to be "on" 24/7 it gets a little lonely. Luckily for us, we haven't lost anyone to enemy fire, but a good friend of mine took his own life a week ago. So to say this place is an emotional roller coaster is a good portrayl. GN'R has definitely been my primary method of keeping my sanity in this place (I fucking love CITR). Personally I see the gains made over here. We've made massive gains the past year and it's getting better every day. I try to leave Politics out of it, cause it's not my job to worry about that. I think the security agreement is a good compromise and with proper focus, the Iraqis will hopefully be able to run this show on their own come January 1st, 2012. That's all I got for now. If you guys have any questions, I'm willing to answer them. --Flagg
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#2 Tatiana Kudrin

Tatiana Kudrin

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

thanx for sharing. :)
part of that clique

#3 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

Ya know, a lot of Americans tend to forget, or ignore, or are ignorant of, the fact that people are basically the same everywhere. We all have the same hopes, desires, fears, and anxieties. I know that I don't have to say, but be careful.

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Ya know, a lot of Americans tend to forget, or ignore, or are ignorant of, the fact that people are basically the same everywhere. We all have the same hopes, desires, fears, and anxieties.

I know that I don't have to say, but be careful.

People are people are people.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#5 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Stay safe and steer clear of the Raven squads and teams....Ha J/k
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#6 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

don't step on anything that clicks!

#7 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

Luckily for us, we haven't lost anyone to enemy fire, but a good friend of mine took his own life a week ago.
--Flagg

Why? At home or in Iraq?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#8 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

It tends to happen in the battlefield more than many people think.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#9 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

I can see how that could and does happen

#10 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

I had a head case jump off the flight deck in the Indian Ocean and the idiot lived. We said he fell and he wasn't booted. That's a long fall! What estimated 90 to 100 feet? sick bastard!

#11 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

I had a friend in the Navy that told me(this was back in the 70s) that as part of their training, they were required to jump off the deck of their ship into the drink. He wasn't on a carrier, but he said it was "up there".

#12 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Yeah probably an old transports, oiler or frigates. Transports were fased out during the mid 70's. In San Diego they were used for training to abandon and use to test demo on. There are many Naval reefs in the sea Including the USS America...That I believe was on discovery. The sinking of an aircraft carrier.

#13 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Luckily for us, we haven't lost anyone to enemy fire, but a good friend of mine took his own life a week ago.
--Flagg

Why? At home or in Iraq?

He was back in the States. I replaced him a the Platoon Leader. He was good guy, but I'm not gonna mix words, he was crazy. He thought the Soldiers were bugging his house and had really bad paranoia. He wanted to deploy, but after some veiled threats, my Commander realized he was just too unstable. The Army was in the process of chaptering him out, and last week he went out for a walk and never came home. Pulled out a 9mm a few blocks from his house and did it right on the corner of the street.

What irks me the most was I was the only guy who could talk to. He thought everyone else was out to get him, but he'd only talk to me. I just feel if had I been able to talk to him, I could have prevented it.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#14 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Damn, that sucks.

#15 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

You can't blame yourself for someone else having an illness. People take there own lives even if temporarily interrupted. The guy still had a problem and still had the means to do it and did so. If he was sick he should have been (Unable To Deploy)and dismissed. Yet either way he had a gun and his intent was to kill himself in public no less. He was real sick and in need to be institutionalized. Yet that doesn't always help either. I feel bad for his family. Move forward LT. You can't hold someones baggage when in charge of yourself and others to come home safe. Just move on....You can't afford to live in what if's and if only. Your mission is to do the job and come home safe period.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users