#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

I'm already looking ahead to the Algeria match.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

As our resident limey, I thought I'd call on TAP to defend this one:

Having sex won’t hamper on-field performance
Yet some coaches insisting players abstain during World Cup

After four years of anticipation and endless hours of training, soccer players from 32 countries are doing everything they can to play their best at the World Cup. Among their last-minute preparations in South Africa, the athletes are eating well and sleeping enough. They might also be abstaining from sex — or not.

According to news reports, the Argentine team doctor has given the team his permission to have sex with their usual partners during the tournament. Sex is also allowed for Brazilian players.

The players from England, however, will be allowed to see their wives and girlfriends just once after each game, maybe less if they keep winning. Partners of the British players cannot stay overnight. There is no sex allowed, and the coach will be monitoring their behavior through TVs in their hotel rooms.

While the United States team spokesman Neil Buethe declined to comment for this story on guidelines for the American players, experts side with the South Americans. Despite a long history of myth, there is no evidence that sex impairs athletic performance.

watching TV.

[...]

As for the fans, there is no evidence that sex will impair your tournament-watching experience, but many fanatics appear to be able to live without it. In a recent poll of German soccer fans, 95 percent said they'd rather watch their team play than join their partners in bed.

Full article: http://nbcsports.msn...orts-world_cup/

My prediction...Argentina fields the team below in a Championship match against a blue-balled England, and wins on an Ass-of-God goal, after which they retake the Falklands.

Posted Image
Sister burn the temple

#4 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

sorry I didn't read a word of the article but nice pic.

#5 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

here in Ontario, they passed a bylaw allowing bars to open and start serving booze at 10 am this Friday!!!!!! for the duration of the world cup

#6 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

Last world cup, the WAGS (wives and girlfriends) led by Mrs Spice Beckham were more in the press than the actual team, so this time with a stronger coach, they are being sidelined. I'd heard they weren't even allowed to go at one point.
Show me your dragon magic

#7 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Last world cup, the WAGS (wives and girlfriends) led by Mrs Spice Beckham were more in the press than the actual team, so this time with a stronger coach, they are being sidelined. I'd heard they weren't even allowed to go at one point.

Do they actually call them "WAGS"?
Sister burn the temple

#8 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, WAGS was coined last world cup and still is a popular term

#9 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I wonder how many players are taking both halves of that equation...wives AND girlfriends!
Sister burn the temple

#10 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

82%

#11 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

A primer on World Cup Football:

http://www.theonion....p-soccer,17558/

Also, in related news, the American side tonight (in South Africa...where it's night) dressed as Indians, invaded the English squad's hotel, spilt or stole all their tea, and satisfied all their WAGS.*

*NOTE: I must get in all shit talking now, since TAP will probably eviscerate me starting tomorrow afternoon...then again, we were also underdogs in '76. Now...if only we can get some French refs.

EDIT: Also...France 0-0 Uruguay...most boring match ever.
Sister burn the temple

#12 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

I really wish England wasn't playing the USA. If we win, most people here probably don't know there is a match, most of the rest don't care, and the few that care think they will lose anyway. On the other hand England always carries these huge expectations of doing well and then screws up dramatically. I can see it being a draw with Rooney sent off late.....

#13 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

England v USA - Kick off 19:30. USA will turn up at 19:41 and then claim victory.

#14 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

England v USA - Kick off 19:30.

USA will turn up at 19:41 and then claim victory.

HA!

Wasn't aware that Chamberlain had scheduled you a "friendly" with the Germans!

Also, I think we can all agree that the real loser of this historical analogy is France.

I really wish England wasn't playing the USA. If we win, most people here probably don't know there is a match, most of the rest don't care, and the few that care think they will lose anyway. On the other hand England always carries these huge expectations of doing well and then screws up dramatically. I can see it being a draw with Rooney sent off late.....

I LOVE the World Cup, even though I don't watch league soccer, as there's no team in my town and I have no loyalties. So, yes, I do care.

The US has been very bi-polar the last few Cups. They played well in 2002, upsetting Portugal and getting to the QFs with a win over Mexico. Then in 2006 they had a poor showing, albeit in a tough group. They finished last in their group, yet were the only squad to even get a draw against Italy that year.

Anyway, this is a group that both England and the US SHOULD advance out of. If tomorrow isn't a draw, I'm sure the commentators on one side of the pond or the other will be making hay out of it for the losing side...especially if Algeria or Slovenia posts a win, rather than a draw. But it's entirely possible for either side to lose tomorrow and still advance. I normally pull for England in the Cup, so tomorrow will be strange. I'd happily settle for England and the US each getting 7 pts out of group play, though I don't look forward to a likely second round match with the Germans (who I also really enjoy watching).
Sister burn the temple

#15 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

Is it me, or does ABC's "England vs. USA" ad make it pretty clear that this match is about BP. I mean...what yellow fucking ocean are we sailing across?

Posted Image
Sister burn the temple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users