Photo

Netflix movie streaming coming to the Wii!!!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's a triple crown for Netflix. Beginning in the spring, the Wii will become the last of the three current video game consoles to get instant viewing of Netflix movies and TV shows over the Internet. Wii owners who have a broadband connection and a Netflix subscription that costs at least $9 a month will be able to watch those programs with no extra charge. Netflix coming soon to the Nintendo Wii. Nintendo Co. and Netflix Inc., which wouldn't give an exact launch date for the service, were set to announce the deal on Wednesday. To watch flicks through the gaming system, Wii users will need a special "instant-streaming" disc that Netflix will mail out in the spring. They will then be able to use the Wii's motion controller to navigate through their Netflix account and pick what they want to watch. This setup is similar to the way Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 currently streams Netflix programs. Owners of Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 can also stream Netflix, but the service is only available to Xbox Live "Gold" members, who pay $50 a year mainly to play games online. The Wii is a great catch for Netflix because it gives it access to the living rooms of millions of potential new subscribers. It is easily the most popular gaming console in the U.S. with 26 million sold in the country through December, according to Nintendo. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has long said his company's goal is to offer movie streaming on as many devices as possible, including all three gaming consoles. Letting subscribers watch movies over the Internet is an increasingly important service for Netflix, which is based in Los Gatos, Calif., even though the company says it expects to keep renting DVDs for another couple of decades. Part of the reason for that is because it'll take some time for movies to become available for streaming. The company has about 17,000 movies and TV shows available for Internet watching, compared with more than 100,000 DVD titles it rents out. In another sign of its commitment to streaming, Netflix said last week it will delay sending out Warner Bros.' latest movies by nearly a month so it can get rights to show its subscribers more movies over the Internet. In addition to the three gaming systems, Netflix streaming is already available on devices such as the Roku digital video player, along with some Blu-ray players and Internet-connected TV sets. It's also available on computers. But consoles represent an important entry point into millions of homes because so many people already own them. And offering service through the systems will likely also prompt existing Netflix subscribers who haven't tried streaming over the Internet to do so. Hastings called the Nintendo deal a "big step forward" in advancing its streaming service. Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, said the company's first priority is always gaming, but it also wants to "continue to surprise our customers" by offering other activities.

#2 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Good news for me, this is killer.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#3 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Have you gotten you disk to do this ?

#4 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

Netflix has to be one of the best cheap deals there is. Unlimited movie streaming for $9/month is pretty awesome.
Show me your dragon magic

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Have you gotten you disk to do this ?

Yes and it's totally awesome too.

I'd imagine that eventually all the movies they have will be accessible like this.

Netflix has to be one of the best cheap deals there is. Unlimited movie streaming for $9/month is pretty awesome.

It really is. I had 16 bucks a month for 3 mailed to me plus unlimited streaming. Then I downgraded to one disc mailed to me and and unlimited for 9/month. That's more than enough to keep me busy.

#6 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

at some point they are going to have stuff even premier on the streaming first before going to dvd/theaters.

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

This appears to be the closest thing we have to a dedicated NETFLIX thread. So with the hubbub about raising prices I went and changed plans. My goal was to spend less even though I will be getting less. I had for a number of years the 2 dvds out at a time with free streaming plan. It was about $16 with taxes. I do DVDs because it is a part of my kid management system. Recently I went to the 3 DVDs out with streaming for about $20. I started to get classic Doctor WHo DVDs in addition to the kid stuff. This past week NETFLIX announces price changes and splitting of Streaming and physical disc plans. I survey Mrs. Cinco as to her streaming use. We have a mac mini hooked to our bedroom TV and use plex, boxee, NETFLIX and hulu on it. She said she streamed the odd comedy routine from netflix but not much else and could do without the streaming. I don't stream anything myself so I change my plan to 2 DVDs out and no streaming. I neglected to poll the CInco offspring. seems they have been streaming Disney Channel shows through the Wii. We don't have cable or satelite, just internet, netflix and over the air bradcast TV. So I change my plan to 2 DVDs out and unlimited streaming. Which is about the same cost as my previous 3 DVDs plus streaming. I think about it some more and it reminds me of my recent renewal deal with my Cable Internet provider. I had a 2 year lock in for about 50 dollars a month for 25 meg down. I call up to get the same deal for another two years. They say that plan is now $5 more a month. I tell them to drop me to the 16 down tier which is $45 a month. 16 is plenty speed for what we do. The service rep asks what they can do to get me to stay with the higher speed? I tell her they could drop the price $5. They didn't so I went with 16. In remembering this I decided to be consistent and changed my NETFLIX plan for a third time. I will now have 1 DVD out and streaming for about $16 a month. Paying less that I did for lesser service is my form of protest. Here is also another take on NETFLIX's price raising:

media_httpfollyandinn_pkjse-scaled1000.p
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#8 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Gonna drop netflix dvd and just have streaming

#9 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

I've been doing a lot of torrents lately...don't pay for jack shit! As far as NF is concerned, I'm keeping it at 16 month right now. I'm happy with it, and it's still cheaper than what I was paying for movies 5-10 yrs ago. Ultimately I wish I could ditch the cable and go with NF, HULU, torrents etc only. But the Missus won't have any of it.

#10 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

The Wife Acceptance Factor is powerful for cutting the cable cord. Posted Image

I rarely do torrents these days, too many prying eyes. But I do still have usenet access through my ISP. Posted Image

#11 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Torrents not safe in your opinion?

#12 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Gonna drop netflix dvd and just have streaming

I just dropped the streaming and moved to DVD only. Is it possible for us to just share a plan?
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#13 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Torrents not safe in your opinion?

Torrents of recently released stuff seem to be monitored, people get warning letters from ISP.

#14 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Ahhhh.....I'll make a note of that thanks.

#15 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

What TAP said. The big movie and TV companies hire other companies to go into torrents of just released DVDs or aired HBO shows and stuff and log all IP addresses of those torrenting. These companies then figure out what ISP the IP addies are coming from, Comcast, COX or whoever and send a legalistic email that the ISPs then forward to the end user. Supposedly if you get three of them the ISP may drop your internet service. The emails contain lots of legal threats and basically ask you to out yourself and respond to them. Some people fall for it and respond. It is best to IGNORE them if you ever get one. Only your ISP knows who you are and will not give you up unless faced with a court order. Torrents are also troublesome unlike downloads from places like megaupload or (usenet) because they don't just get you for copyright infringement (one-way downloading) they get you for distribution which is legally worse. It has to do with the giving and taking nature of torrents, you share back while you download.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users