• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

These are actual comments left on Forest Service comment cards by backpackers completing wilderness camping trips: A small deer came into my camp and stole my bag of pickles. Is there a way I can get reimbursed? Please call. Escalators would help on steep uphill sections. Instead of a permit system for hikers, the Forest Service needs to reduce worldwide population growth to limit the number of visitors to wilderness. Trails need to be wider so people can walk while holding hands. Found a smouldering cigarette left by a horse. Trails need to be reconstructed. Please avoid building trails that go uphill. Too many bugs and leeches and spiders and spider webs. Please spray the wilderness to rid the area of these pests. Please pave the trails so they can be plowed of snow in the winter. Chairlifts need to be in some places so that we can get to wonderful views without having to hike to them. The coyotes made too much noise last night and kept me awake. Please eradicate these annoying animals. Need more signs to keep area pristine. A McDonald's would be nice at the trailhead. The places where trails do not exist are not well marked. Too many rocks in the mountains.

#2 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

oh my..must be U.S trails...lmao...I kid I kid !

#3 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

I dunno...I went to Bryce Canyon and left a comment saying "Banff is for pussies!"

Posted Image

Kidding of course...I really want to go to Banff. But Bryce is badass, and highly recommended.

Also, for you ladies, it looks kind of like a giant cock factory.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#4 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

:D nice co..trails... Banff is fucking killer

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

I dunno...I went to Bryce Canyon and left a comment saying "Banff is for pussies!"

Posted Image

Kidding of course...I really want to go to Banff. But Bryce is badass, and highly recommended.

Also, for you ladies, it looks kind of like a giant cock factory.

Bryce is the bomb. The Missus and I drove down there and stayed for about 4-5 days. I've actually got a great picture of me riding a donkey that I should scan and put in, lol. Utah has some serious parks, can't wait to get back to Mo'land.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#6 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

These are actual comments left on Forest Service comment cards by backpackers completing wilderness camping trips....

You know, I wouldn't believe this but I had a buddy of mine who worked as a manager at N. Rim of Grand Canyon and dealt with people like this all the time. He mainly did the restaurant but was able to hook us up with a free cabin and other goodies for the week we spent there. Anyway some of the complaints he would get were so fucking stupid I couldn't believe it. All along the same line of as these above.

When we were in Yellowstone the Missus bought a book about people who died/did stupid shit in that park. It was like a 200 pg Darwin Awards. One woman came up and tried to put her small child on a Moose so she could take a picture. Another was killed when she found some baby bear cubs and picked them up to cuddle with them. Story after story like that, where people have no clue, no respect for the outdoors. I only felt sorry for a couple of them but the rest I couldn't do more than laugh.

I remember being up high on a hike in Little Cottonwood Canyon in SLC. Once you are about an hour or so up (which is a mofo because all hikes start off going STRAIGHT up before giving you a break) you are almost guaranteed to see a Moose. These are mighty animals and I always gave them huge respect, often jogging up on some rocks, going as wide as humanly possible, or simply turning around if they were blocking the path. Thou shall not fuck with a Moose. Well this one day I'm with my wife and kids and this Moose is blocking the path. There were some big rocks that we were able to jump up on and walk safely around the Moose/sit up and watch.

So we're on the rocks watching the Moose (it's not a bull, maybe a teenager, still huge) and here come these dumb guys (probably in their 20's) who decide it's a good idea to walk up to the Moose. The Moose doesn't like this and turns around facing the aspens with it's ass to the guys. One of these dipshits has a camera and is a few feet back and really wants a shot. So him and his buddies begin to scream at the Moose, in order to startle it so it will turn around. My wife and I are watching this totally stunned. We can't believe they are doing this. They keep taunting that Moose for a few minutes and while we were totally safe on the rocks I said "lets get the hell out of here." I just didn't want to see the carnage if these shitheads got killed.

When we came back there was no dead bodies, so I suppose the Moose ran off. But that is a perfect example of the kind of shit people do at National Parks all the time. They deserve to be killed in my opinion, no sympathy if you're that dumb.

I also remember seeing a Bear at Yellowstone. A park ranger had come out to keep people from getting too close. It was obvious if she had not been there, these dipshits would have gone right up to the bear. She had to keep telling them to get back. I had no interest in getting that close. Perfectly fine with having a few rows of dumb people in front of me for the beat to pick from in case it went all...bear.

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

It probably went something like this.
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#8 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

I saw that a couple weeks ago, dance off! lol

#9 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

Once, years ago while backpacking, I encountered a kid that offered me a drink... the high for the day was -5° F. We were close to the highway, so I assume that he made it out alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users