#1 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

Are we the first society in history where the poor are heavier than the wealthy?
Show me your dragon magic

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

Are we the first society in history where the poor are heavier than the wealthy?

Eating really healthy is expensive. Produce costs out the ass.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Eating really healthy is expensive. Produce costs out the ass.

Perhaps but I don't really think that is the reason. It used to be that you ate less (or nothing) when you had less money

I don't believe there are many people wishing they could afford to eat green vegetables but having to go to McD's instead because it's cheaper. But conversely, I don't believe that when a group of people choose to collectively do something that's bad for them, that it's entirely their fault or done consciously.

I dunno, it's just weird - I see a lot of people use food stamps at supermarkets/stores etc in our neighbourhood, and the vast majority are in the overweight/obese category.

#4 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. SOmething like skinless chicken breast is lean, good for you, and costly. Same for leaner cuts of beef. The fattier the cut, the cheaper it is. Another culprit is portion control. Serving sizes have gone up...especially in restaurants, where the food is likely loaded with butter and salt and almost always worse for you than something you'd have made at home. It's tough to go from large portions to small (or reasonable). You'll have a week or so of serious hunger pangs. You're not starving or at risk of anything, but your body is used to larger portions and it's not getting it. To most, this would seem like an obvious call to eat more. It also doesn't help that, like all animals, we're wired to survive by eating a lot when it's available. Evolution didn't take into account the idea that food might be readily available at some point.
Sister burn the temple

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

I made soup this week. Smoked turkey cuts, barley, veggies, bean soup mix all came to about 9 bucks. I've been eating the damn thing all week and it's very healthy. The problem (aside from the others listed) is that people just don't cook anymore. Preparing your own food is healthier and cheaper. I like to cook big stews, crock pot dishes etc I can eat on all week, and then prepare a few other meals on the fly mixed in.

I try to avoid processed food like the plague and despise fast food, it just tastes like shit to me, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. Some people love fast food, I think it's revolting.

As a country, we are shamefully fat. I should have empathy somewhere, especially considering I'm a recovering alcoholic, but I don't.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. SOmething like skinless chicken breast is lean, good for you, and costly. Same for leaner cuts of beef. The fattier the cut, the cheaper it is.

Another culprit is portion control. Serving sizes have gone up...especially in restaurants, where the food is likely loaded with butter and salt and almost always worse for you than something you'd have made at home.

My wife and I notice that regardless of price level of the restaurant the serving sizes are outrageous. We finally have decided to start splitting entrees, apps etc (surely our waiters hate us) from now on. We always were taking food home and it was just ridiculous. It's also cheaper obviously.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#6 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Another culprit is portion control. Serving sizes have gone up...especially in restaurants, where the food is likely loaded with butter and salt and almost always worse for you than something you'd have made at home. It's tough to go from large portions to small (or reasonable). You'll have a week or so of serious hunger pangs. You're not starving or at risk of anything, but your body is used to larger portions and it's not getting it. To most, this would seem like an obvious call to eat more. It also doesn't help that, like all animals, we're wired to survive by eating a lot when it's available. Evolution didn't take into account the idea that food might be readily available at some point.

Don't disagree but it doesn't really explain the negative correlation between wealth and weight. It would suggest the opposite if anything.

#7 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Poor people worry more and eat more to help cope with the worry.

#8 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

I made soup this week. Smoked turkey cuts, barley, veggies, bean soup mix all came to about 9 bucks. I've been eating the damn thing all week and it's very healthy. The problem (aside from the others listed) is that people just don't cook anymore. Preparing your own food is healthier and cheaper. I like to cook big stews, crock pot dishes etc I can eat on all week, and then prepare a few other meals on the fly mixed in.

I try to avoid processed food like the plague and despise fast food, it just tastes like shit to me, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. Some people love fast food, I think it's revolting.

As a country, we are shamefully fat. I should have empathy somewhere, especially considering I'm a recovering alcoholic, but I don't.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. SOmething like skinless chicken breast is lean, good for you, and costly. Same for leaner cuts of beef. The fattier the cut, the cheaper it is.

Another culprit is portion control. Serving sizes have gone up...especially in restaurants, where the food is likely loaded with butter and salt and almost always worse for you than something you'd have made at home.

My wife and I notice that regardless of price level of the restaurant the serving sizes are outrageous. We finally have decided to start splitting entrees, apps etc (surely our waiters hate us) from now on. We always were taking food home and it was just ridiculous. It's also cheaper obviously.

Again, I don't disagree with any of this as explanations why people are generally overweight, but it doesn't really answer the original question.

#9 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Probably also heavier drinking.
Sister burn the temple

#10 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Drinking isn't cheap.

#11 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Drinking isn't cheap.

depends on what you drink.

#12 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Drinking isn't cheap.

RICH drinking isn't cheap. Scotch, good wine, craft beer, etc....pricey stuff.

But a case of Natty Light only sets ya back $15 AND has the added benefit of being a 30 can case. You drink six a day, you add 600 calories and spend about $20/week.
Sister burn the temple

#13 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Drinking isn't cheap.

RICH drinking isn't cheap. Scotch, good wine, craft beer, etc....pricey stuff.

But a case of Natty Light only sets ya back $15 AND has the added benefit of being a 30 can case. You drink six a day, you add 600 calories and spend about $20/week.

True, but haven't the poor always been associated with heavy drinking? I'm sure worry and drinking contribute some way, but worry and drinking aren't exclusive to low income.

#14 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

At this point, I feel I should ask...is there some secret reason you're hoping we'll stumble on?
Sister burn the temple

#15 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

In the past, being overweight has been used to demonstrate wealth, no?

Well, I went to college with a guy from Africa and he LOVED the fat chicks. So I guess that answers that. Yes, in his country fat = money.

But that's a continent with serious hunger issues. In the parts of the world where food is readily available, I would imagine that the combination of drinking, portion size, the higher calorie/fat content of food eaten by the lower socioeconomic classes, and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle wreck havoc on the poor (on society in general, too, but especially on the poor).

ok, here's another one. Can someone explain the LeBron James thing to me - normally I wouldn't really be aware of stuff like this, but my TV's set to ESPN so every time there isn't WC, it's been about who he will sign for. I don't get the fascination with who someone who never won anything, and had pretty much choked on the biggest stage. Is it because of the obscene amount of money involved, or is it just self-generating hype?

I don't know if I'd call him a choker, since he was apparently injured during this year's playoffs. He is one of the two or three biggest players in the game (a game I don't watch much, so I"m preaching from a fairly short pulpit, here), baseball's settled into mid-season, and Americans are getting about as much Cup coverage as they can tolerate. But there's also self-generated hype. Most players narrow their list and sign, with a leak coming in that process. This was done on purpose, and ESPN played along with the "what will this exorbitantly rich guy do next" charade like idiots.
Sister burn the temple

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users