31 replies to this topic

#16 winstonlegthigh

winstonlegthigh

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:29 AM

I never tend to dig music by way of genre? I think thats the key. It really depends on what you look for in music. Do you hear a cool band and go "cool, i'd like more of the same" or is it attitudes or approaches that float your boat? I just like music and i like it's ability to evoke/convey emotion, it's a tool of communication and i think it's often a good exercise to listen to the unlistenable, it really broadens your horizons, music is basically the profession of noise manipulation and it's an endless source of fascination for me the different ways people approach creating music. But yeah? Unusual? Charlie Parker, Theolonious Monk, i suppose they'd be pretty unusual...lots of old blues stuff, Jimmy Reed, Bukka White, Son House, i suppose not so unusual being that GnR are a guitar based blues rock n roll band. Lots of dub reggae i like, reggae in general actually, Peter Tosh, King Tubby, Prince Far I, U Roy, I Roy, just all the different genres like Dub and Dancehall and Calypso and Ska and Nyabinghi...hip hop i just flat out adore, lots of old school shit like Slick Rick, Eric B & Rakim, Run DMC, EPMD, lots of the gangsta shit too....i like a lot of the arty punk bands like PiL and Sonic Youth & Gang of Four. I dunno, it's a weird thing, i guess i could go on for days and put a whole lot of people to sleep. I just love music, i love different sounds, it's a source of endless fascination to me, i love to go into restaurants and hear some like...cuturally specific music being played by the proprietor, it's part of entire identities and cultures and your understanding of said cultures and identities is all the worse off for not knowing about them. I like a lot of punk also, the 70s/80s stuff generally. I dunno, it's really a never ending question.

#17 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

The Smiths.
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#18 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

I never tend to dig music by way of genre?

Me neither any more, and the internet has certainly helped with that both from having much wider access to music but also from picking up tips from forums like this for what to actually check out in the first place.
Show me your dragon magic

#19 winstonlegthigh

winstonlegthigh

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

I know right? it's such a beautiful thing because you get to hear different kinds of music that it might've taken you a lifetime to get around to and get into. its ridiculous that artists are so against it, it's free exposure. you find out which ones are about the money and which ones are about the craft, the art. @artcinco: The Smiths are fabulous :)

#20 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

The Smiths.

I love The Smiths.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#21 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#22 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

I like a few female singer/songwriters who play the more laid-back kind of stuff ie. KT Tunstall, Amy Macdonald, Sara Bareilles etc. Another lesser-known one is Bree Sharp, who's best known for the song 'David Duchovny'. She reminds me a little bit of Alanis Morissette and her first album A Cheap And Evil Girl is quality stuff. :cool: I think female voices sound better with that type of music, they sound more interesting/interested. Generally, male singer/songwriters with acoustic guitars sound bored to me.

I also like Paramore, Avril Lavigne and a couple of songs by Katy Perry. Just a couple mind. :)

Been getting more into Prince recently too, but I wouldn't say it's strange to see him mentioned on a GNR board. I mean, although he's played pretty much every kind of music you can think of, he's still rock-ish isn't he?
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#23 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3jA56A3Yy4&ob=av2n[/url]
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#24 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

The Smiths.

I love The Smiths.

A great place to get Smiths live recordings is

http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/forum/
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#25 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

I bought La Roux's album a little while ago, and I quite like it. No idea how well known they are outisde the UK, but they're an English synthpop duo (well, there's a female singer and a musician guy who no one ever sees....), and while I normally don't care much for that 80s, synth-drenched sound, I quite like their modern take on it. Elly Jackson's voice might well put a lot of people off - she can get pretty shrill at times - but they do great catchy pop songs with choruses that refuse to leave your head......
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#26 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

I like 80s pop music. And a lot of the time, the cheesier the better. I love The Riddle by Nick Kershaw, Suddenly by Angry Anderson, Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You by Glenn Medeiros... I know they're shit, but I still think they're awesome. I also really like cheesy power metal. Stuff about vikings and dragons. Rhapsody, that kind of thing. And yeah, I'm a fan of classical music too. I grew up playing the violin in a household full of the stuff, and I hated it, because it felt like it was being forced on me, and it wasn't cool. But the older I get, the more I appreciate it.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#27 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hey, BUYV. What do you think of Liam G's new song? The Beady Eye thing - catchy but instantly forgettable I would say, I liked it but couldn't tell you a thing about it :)

#28 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hey, BUYV. What do you think of Liam G's new song? The Beady Eye thing - catchy but instantly forgettable I would say, I liked it but couldn't tell you a thing about it :)

Holy crap, I didn't even know about this. Posted Image I knew they were planning on releasing a song this year, but knew no more than that. I'm off to hunt it down now....

#29 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

http://www.beadyeyemusic.co.uk/

#30 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hmm, I see what you mean. It's not bad, but nothing groundbreaking. It's lacking that crunchy Oasis guitar sound, but reminds me a bit of the last couple of Oasis albums. Quite 60s sounding too I thought. I'm sure I'll still buy the album when it comes out, Liam's written a few good short, catchy songs (Songbird, The Meaning Of Soul) so I guess it'll be along those sorts of lines....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users