12 replies to this topic

#1 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

South Korea warned today that it will unleash "enormous retaliation" if North Korea launches fresh attacks against its territory.

North Korean troops bombarded Yeonpyeong, an island in disputed waters, with dozens of rounds of artillery earlier today, reportedly killing two South Korean soldiers and injuring around 20 people.

Seoul placed its military on its highest non-wartime alert level, scrambling F-16 fighter jets to the western sea and returning fire, officials said. It warned that the attack was a violation of the armistice that ended the Korean war in 1953.

The South Korean president, Lee Myung-bak, who convened an emergency security meeting shortly after the initial bombardment, said an "indiscriminate attack on civilians" could never be tolerated.

"Enormous retaliation should be made, to the extent that [North Korea] cannot make provocations again," he said.

The assault is one of the most serious in the decades since the war, given the involvement of civilians, although previous firefights around the disputed maritime border have resulted in a higher number of casualties.

In a short statement carried by the official KCNA news agency, the North said the South had fired first – presumably in reference to a live-fire drill being carried out as part of annual military exercises. It said it had repeatedly warned the South not to go ahead with the drill.

Analysts said that despite the seriousness of the clash, the situation was unlikely to escalate dramatically given the high stakes involved for all parties.

It comes amid growing international concern over reports that North Korea has a new uranium enrichment facility.

Lee ordered officials to "sternly respond" to North Korea's action but stressed that they had to make sure the "situation would not escalate," an aide said.

Yeonpyeong is only around 75 miles west of the South Korean capital.

Broadcasters showed smoke rising from houses in the attack, and Seoul's YTN television said residents had been evacuated to bunkers after firing broke out, at around 2.30pm. It is thought around 1,200 people live on the island.

Lee Chun-ok, a 54-year-old island resident, said she had been watching TV when she heard sounds of artillery, and a wall and door in her home suddenly collapsed.

"I thought I would die," said Lee, who had been evacuated to the port city of Incheon. "I was really, really terrified, and I'm still terrified."

The White House condemned the attack as "belligerent", adding: "The United States is firmly committed to the defence of our ally … and to the maintenance of regional peace and stability."

In London, William Hague urged Pyongyang to stop further "unprovoked" attacks.

Russia's foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, said there was a "colossal danger" of escalation, Reuters reported. He added: "Those who started this bear a huge responsibility."

China, North Korea's main ally, steered clear of assigning blame. A foreign ministry spokesman, Hong Lei, urged both sides to "do more to contribute to peace and stability in the region".

An unofficial spokesman for North Korea told the Guardian that firing artillery was a "totally justifiable act of self-defence" in response to the sea drills and warned that nuclear war could follow "at any point" unless the exercises stop. Pyongyang has repeatedly issued such threats in the past.

"If the South continues its dangerous behaviour, Seoul will be the next target. It will be a sea of fire," said Kim Myong-chol, executive director of the Centre for Korean-American Peace.

Han Seung-joo, a former South Korean foreign minister, said the "reckless and provocative" act suggested desperation on North Korea's part, and suggested it may be meant to send a message to a domestic audience rather than to the outside world, boosting solidarity and "show[ing] that they can get away with this".

Professor Chu Shulong, an expert on international security at Beijing's Tsinghua University, said it was too early to be sure what had happened.

But he added: "Over the years, North Korea has always been a place that likes to make trouble to get attention from the international community. After they get attention, they can start a new round of negotiations and get supplies from other countries. This is what they have been doing during the past 20 years."

The disputed maritime border has long been a source of friction and has seen repeated skirmishes – in some cases fatal – in recent years.

Relations between the two Koreas have remained especially tense since the South's Cheonan warship sank in March, killing 46 sailors. An international investigation led by Seoul blamed a North Korean torpedo but Pyongyang denies any involvement.

http://www.guardian....ned-south-korea
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#2 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

They need to see a Koreas counselor :D
Show me your dragon magic

#3 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

They need to see a Koreas counselor :D

Bravo!
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

This is just fantastic. Nutty bastards. I hope we stay OUT of it.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#5 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

gawd .

#6 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

As close as Seoul is to the border, there's no "easy" military solution that won't involve massive destruction in S. Korea. Tell me again...why don't we assassinate leaders?
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#7 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

This is just fantastic.

Nutty bastards. I hope we stay OUT of it.

We cant stay out of it. We're the trip wire. Once the shit goes down, we're pretty much obligated to defend it at all costs.

I hope Obama is willing to use "shock and awe" like its never been seen before. If not, we may be getting our asses kicked in the very near future. We don't have enough troops there to properly defend SK, let alone march North.

He better not let our troops get slaughtered there. I'm gonna assume he's intelligent enough to have ordered part of our nuclear arsenal in the region to be on standby. A nuclear attack will need to occur within a few minutes to save American lives.

Nuclear or not, we need to do a decapitation strike on their leadership.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#8 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:22 AM

This is just fantastic.

Nutty bastards. I hope we stay OUT of it.

We cant stay out of it. We're the trip wire. Once the shit goes down, we're pretty much obligated to defend it at all costs.

I hope Obama is willing to use "shock and awe" like its never been seen before. If not, we may be getting our asses kicked in the very near future. We don't have enough troops there to properly defend SK, let alone march North.

He better not let our troops get slaughtered there. I'm gonna assume he's intelligent enough to have ordered part of our nuclear arsenal in the region to be on standby. A nuclear attack will need to occur within a few minutes to save American lives.

He won't do anything for the same reason Bush didn't: They actually have WMD.

#9 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:29 AM

I had a buddy who was (thankfully now in UK) stationed in S. Korea. Basically, the common knowledge was this: if the North invades you're fucked...but we'll avenge you. This was under Bush (partially), and I"m not aware that we've strengthened our troop presence (perhaps naval, though?).

I truly feel sorry for N. Korea. How many countries are used n' abused like the people of N. Korea? Too many, but it's always awful. Starved pawns to extract our pity, such that we continually capitulate to a tyrant.

Again, I say that some well placed snipers could work wonders, here. It might be best to not pressure N. Korea but China, in a way that hurts. Yes, then can return that hurt, but WE can exercise no further pressure on N. Korea without using our military. China, however, absolutely can.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#10 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

If anybody wants to mess with North Korea, they'll have to go through Sarah Palin first:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11840828
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#11 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

If anybody wants to mess with North Korea, they'll have to go through Sarah Palin first:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11840828

I can see her Presidential run from my porch. I will laugh like a hyena when Obama beats her a second time.

#12 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

Anyone who wants to advocate American involvment in North Korea, I suggest you head to your nearest recruiting station. I'm tired of the notion of risking my life to make some arm chair general feel patriotic because they tied a yellow ribbon around their front door.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#13 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Anyone who wants to advocate American involvment in North Korea, I suggest you head to your nearest recruiting station. I'm tired of the notion of risking my life to make some arm chair general feel patriotic because they tied a yellow ribbon around their front door.

Does it worry you when I agree with you? It worries me :D
Show me your dragon magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users