#16 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

And, yes, rape is also a horrible violent crime. Report it and try to get the fucker behind bars would be a better way to go, I think.

#17 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

Wow. I don't know and don't even know what to think. Part of me thinks that videos/songs like that make a statement and the controversy over it is what makes it even bigger. In a way, I don't think she should cave and redo part of her video because it's considered too controversial. If that's how she feels and that's what she meant, then go for it and do it. Stand up for what you meant and wanted to say in the first place. Then again, (and maybe I don't get it because I don't know what it's like for some people sometimes), I live less than an hour away from the most violent city in our country - Flint, Michigan. So I have a very difficult time in trying to understand a song or video that is about that kind of violence (shoot and kill), no matter what the reason.

My take on it was that any victim of a violent crime fantasises about getting revenge on the perpetrator, so I think the fantasy is very common. Very few do or should act on it. I also think it is very good to get people talking, especially young women talking about this subject. My favorite part of the article:

The video reinforces a very basic point: the choice to be sexual and sensual on the dance floor should not be read in any way as consent for future sexual activity.

#18 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

I heard about rhiana song yesterday and watched it on yotube was surprised it was "tame" and not as violent at least to me, as the news reports suggested. the subject was filmed in a fairly conservative way. I found the video she did with eminem "love the way you lie" way more disturbing visual. I have a hard time being subjective with things like this because of the "artistic expression" aspect of it. I also suspect if I didn't like rhiana so much I would have a harder time with it but I am biased in that I think she is fabulous

#19 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Patti Smith kicks serious ass!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIkM4wvcC8&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIkM4wvcC8&feature=related[/url]

#20 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

Here's a filthy, dirty little ditty from 1935. But apparently it's only modern music that is so offensive and lurid! Posted Image

#21 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Here's a filthy, dirty little ditty from 1935. But apparently it's only modern music that is so offensive and lurid! Posted Image

Ah, yes, Lucile Bogan after hours club singer (who also sang under the name of Bessie Jackson) wrote a lot of---shall we say---bawdy lyrics. B.D. (bull dyke) Woman's Blues was another of her more shocking/better-known little ditties from the 30s.

#22 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

^^ That's great! Love it!!

#23 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members