delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

All I can say is, Jesus Fucking Christ.
http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=133394887
"The 100 dogs were shot dead over two days after an expected post-Olympics boom in dogsledding business at an adventure company [in Whistler, BC] didn't pan out. Most died instantly, but others suffered — like the one that ran away with its 'face blown off and an eye hanging out.'"
The story is that it was one guy who did this, one employee.
"The [workers compensation] documents reveal bookings for dog sled tours collapsed after the Olympics, and when the company could not find homes for its animals, it ordered the cull. The dogs, which were part of a pack of 300, were shot over two days last April."
But the story's complicated (and I admit I didn't scour the whole thing thoroughly, too upset. There are no images of cruelty btw). Even though the man was told by the company to cut the herd by a third, the story that seems to be shaping up is that the company didn't have the least idea HOW he was going to do that. Thus, "it is likely the individual who will be facing charges and not the company."
However, the guy had a history of asking for help on the interwebs for PSTD and he had filed for workers compensation for PTSD through this company and was compensated.
This is an old story, from Feb 1 - I just learned about it via The Animal Rescue Site which has organized a petition, though the incident is being investigated already. (That petition is here: http://bit.ly/hEabmh)
Anyway, this company should be held accountable, and Canadian animal cruelty laws extended tighter to poor sled dogs.... we should keep an eye on how this develops in the courts.

#2 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

I remember reading about this, just atrocious. My sister lives in Vancouver, and this is one of hundreds of stories of people being fuelled by greed before the Olympics, but of course none of the other stories are as tragic. I read an article lamenting the fact that they never even looked into any alternative recourse for the dogs, such as relocation or adoption. These were working dogs, the waste and cruelty is just astounding.

#3 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

OMG

#4 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

My state(which just 20 years ago openly allowed cock fighting) has cracked down hard on animal cruelty. Recently, someone has tortured two dogs to death in the eastern part of the state and it is on the news on a regular basis-IIRC, the reward is up to $12000 for the apprehension of the fucker. In another incident, a guy killed his ex-girl friend's cats while she was at work; he was sentenced to 12 years for the crime. And, it was my congressman that wrote the federal law outlawing the use of horse meat in dog food. Here, if one abandons an animal they will be charged with a felony. In many ways, the laws are more harsh on someone that perpetrates a crime against an animal than they are for the same action against a person. Hopefully, the sadist, and the operators of the company, will face stiff penalties. Preferably, prison.

#5 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

"What's the punishment for being cruel to an animal? In five states — Idaho, Hawaii, Kentucky, Mississippi and North Dakota — the law’s response is, 'Not much.'”http://www.msnbc.msn...lth-pet_health/
You know we basically eradicated litter, ended an ingrained habit of millions and millions of people, in no time flat. In like ten years. Why the hell, in this day and age... etc.
The npr story had this disconcerting passage. "The station reported the man was attacked at least twice by nearby dogs as the shootings occurred. He was forced to slit the throat of one animal who jumped on top of him."
wtf, poor thing! Just what they said to the Indians."I was minding my own business trying to kill you and all your pack and you dared try to stop me, so you brought this on yourself!"

#6 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Kentucky was included in the list for this:

Kentucky vets not allowed to report abuse
In Kentucky, veterinarians are prohibited from reporting suspected cruelty or fighting, an unintended consequence of a law mandating client confidentiality. Otto says a bill was recently introduced to rectify the problem.

AFAIK, the law was amended.

Kentucky Board Denies Parole For Cat Killer

#7 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

hawaii sucks, we recently had a case where a older women on oahu came out of her condo complex and beat to death a peacock that had been making noise and pissing her off. she made comments about cooking it later. they took her to trail and she was found innocent. can you imagine. then she made some comment about being open season on peacocks. she was an ugly old thing. we also have tons of cock fights in the islands. cultural they say but we do have activists that try and thoughts are changing but not fast enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users