5 replies to this topic

#1 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Genius brave deed to be made an example as a warning to the rest'a yez. This trial is happening in Salt Lake City.
http://www.treehugge...ess & Politics)
"Tim DeChristopher became an icon in the environmental movement in 2008, when he entered outrageously high bids for parcels of land being auctioned off for gas and oil development -- bids that he had no intention of ever paying. Now, since his deed -- and perhaps partly because of it -- that entire auction was ruled illegitimate. It was part of a bum rush by the Bush administration to try to sell off public lands before Obama took office. Unfortunately, the felony charges still stand, and DeChristopher could face 10 years in prison and fines of $750,000 if convicted.***
"[T]he US district judge has already ruled that DeChristopher can't use a 'necessity' defence -- in which he would have argued he engaged in the action to prevent greater harm, according to NPR."

This is the official T deC site: http://www.bidder70.org/

#2 Felina

Felina

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

No surprise here. There're been activists in the Portland area, really a bunch of goofy-azz kids, who have been sentenced to 25 yrs. plus for similar non-violent activities. It was awful enough reading about them. What is a surprise is that there are those who don't believe we are in some serious trouble and are close to losing our right to dissent. I think DeChristopher should bag it and go to a country which has no extradition treaty with the US (but then I'm a sissy). They're going to bury him.
"You will never have a pirate ship they cost millions moron."

#3 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

But isn't the whole point of a protest like that is knowing you face severe repercussions but your convictions are more important to you than the consequences?

Posted Image
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#4 Felina

Felina

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

But isn't the whole point of a protest like that is knowing you face severe repercussions but your convictions are more important to you than the consequences?Posted Image

Severe repercussions are always possible, but to receive a sentence so harsh that's it's never before been given, as in the 25 yr case I mentioned, is excessive and politically punitive. It's strictly a political maneuver. Violent person-to-person crimes don't garner sentences that long. This is a genius brave deed alright, and is most definitely a warning to everyone else. Few people are brave enough to act on their convictions.

#5 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

But isn't the whole point of a protest like that is knowing you face severe repercussions but your convictions are more important to you than the consequences?Posted Image

Severe repercussions are always possible, but to receive a sentence so harsh that's it's never before been given, as in the 25 yr case I mentioned, is excessive and politically punitive. It's strictly a political maneuver. Violent person-to-person crimes don't garner sentences that long. This is a genius brave deed alright, and is most definitely a warning to everyone else. Few people are brave enough to act on their convictions.

Can you please link the story where someone was sentenced to 25 years for a non-violent protest? I hadn't heard that and it sounds very interesting.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#6 Felina

Felina

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Can you please link the story where someone was sentenced to 25 years for a non-violent protest? I hadn't heard that and it sounds very interesting.

There's not just one link. You'd have to read a lot to get up to speed. The story is several years old and ongoing. Daniel McGowan was sentenced to 7 yrs under the Patriot Act; being additionally charged with domestic terrorism added another 20 years. Short version from Wiki: http://nymag.com/new...ligencer/33544/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users