Photo

Hunting

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

You make some good points but we both know you weren't thinking about the health or nutritional value of the meat from a wild animal compared to a factory farm animal when you made the crack about thinking about how an animal is "clubbed, shot or staked" when you drive through McDonalds. It was a snide remark meant to....what? Defend hunting?

#17 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

It's pretty obvious to me that this egotist was looking for free advertising and a trophy kill when he shot the elephant. I'm sure his PR team were desperately trying to get a positive spin out of the fiasco and came up with the "feeding the starving natives" aspect. There are thousands of well qualified wildlife experts in that part of the world to deal with a common situation of badly behaved elephants. Yes, it is common. I doubt they needed the assistance of a professional frat boy software dude, completely unqualified in any aspect of the management and relocation of the African elephant.. Flagg, I know you want me to say I'm a vegan opposed to all forms of hunting, but it just ain't so. I eat meat, I have visited many abbatoirs over the years, and have even slaughtered a sheep, which is not too pleasant. I am not opposed to deer hunting if the population is well controlled. I am however vehemently opposed to trophy hunting. It has become a very corrupt business, and I just don't understand it at all. In Southern Africa there are many conservation organizations who have joined forces with hunting businesses to allow hunters to join the cull expeditions. For me that is a much better arrangement, and the funds from the hunts go back into conservation.

#18 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Killing animals that are at risk of extinction, I agree is wrong. But killing overpopulated animals, such as the white-tail deer, even for sport, is much more appropriate and just in my book then simply allowing them to starve. We have removed the other predators that attack and rip deer apart and consume them while still alive. And I'm sure you'd be opposed to allowing wolves to return to now populated areas. As soon as one killed your cat or dog, you'd be asking for someone else to remove the problem. Nothing in that video was offensive to any rational person. People need to eat, and part of our diet are other animals. Nothing graphic or showing the elephant suffer was exposed to the viewer.

A. elephants are not in danger of becoming overpopulated so not sure what that has to do with it

B. I have been completely in favor of the reintroduction of wolves, we've got a good size population going on in northern Wisconsin & guess who are the ones who complain constantly about wolves? The farmers & ranchers. Bitching about wolves taking their livestock, which while it can be true, the loss of livestock compared to the number they have is very small. Plus, they get compensated by the DNR I believe, which is bullshit. Believe me, these people have absolutely no problem killing wolves illegally.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#19 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

Zimbo: I doubt Flagg's bothered to read this thread or he'd know that neither one of us is against hunting and we both eat meat.

#20 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Zimbo: I doubt Flagg's bothered to read this thread or he'd know that neither one of us is against hunting and we both eat meat.

I guess we both fail the liberal-chick stereotype test. Some people forget that not all liberal women are man-hating, vegan, lesbians who only wear Indian-print skirts and Birkenstocks.

#21 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Does anyone here actually eat at McDonalds?
Show me your dragon magic

#22 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

I guess we both fail the liberal-chick stereotype test. Some people forget that not all liberal women are man-hating, vegan, lesbians who only wear Indian-print skirts and Birkenstocks.

At least not since the seventies have those stereotypes worked............... Posted Image

#23 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

You make some good points but we both know you weren't thinking about the health or nutritional value of the meat from a wild animal compared to a factory farm animal when you made the crack about thinking about how an animal is "clubbed, shot or staked" when you drive through McDonalds. It was a snide remark meant to....what? Defend hunting?

No my point was I made no thought or distinction. I see no difference between someone who hunts their own game for food or someone who goes to the supermarket. Where I do take issue is people who eat meat, yet are anti-hunting. Arguments can be mage against trophy hunting, where the animal is used for nothing but its hide or antlers. But my point is that in an overpopulated species like deer, trophy hunters are needed as well. The ease of access to food has allowed many people to delude themselves into believing that these animals would be fine without strict human intervention.

This leaves us two options. We remove humans from being able to interact with animals, meaning all these bastions of technology such as Chicago, NYC or LA need to be demolished while humans migrate to the desert as to have minimal effect on wildlife around the world. Eventually after many animals die to starvation, their numbers will equalize as natural predators repopulate the area. Option two is for us to follow the lead of environmentalists and conservationists like Aldo Leopold and understand that humans need to regulate the populations of animals that we interact with. That includes hunting them and preserving them. Being shot by an arrow or a bullet is a hell of a lot better than being torn limb from limb or starving to death over a period of months.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#24 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

I read the thread. I just don't see how you can argue a man killing an elephant that was destroying a limited food supply, and was later used as food to feed starving people is a bad thing. The animal didn't suffer and it was used to make people happier. You're trying to tie it into trophy hunting, but was the animals tusks taken by the CEO as a prize? A man shot an elephant, and the end result was both a preserved food source and additional food source. Why the need for the added drama?
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#25 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Does anyone here actually eat at McDonalds?

I prefer free range meat.
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#26 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yeungling or fake Schlitz?
Show me your dragon magic

#27 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

It's pretty obvious to me that this egotist was looking for free advertising and a trophy kill when he shot the elephant. I'm sure his PR team were desperately trying to get a positive spin out of the fiasco and came up with the "feeding the starving natives" aspect. There are thousands of well qualified wildlife experts in that part of the world to deal with a common situation of badly behaved elephants. Yes, it is common. I doubt they needed the assistance of a professional frat boy software dude, completely unqualified in any aspect of the management and relocation of the African elephant..

I wish you'd post this "over there" on their thread on this topic. It could benefit from someone who used to live in that part of the world and knows first hand what she's talking about.

By the way, I just finished viewing the video you posted, even though I didn't want to watch it. I agree that the guy's PR team did everything they could to put a positive spin on what was nothing more than a trophy hunt. As you said, the locals have access to qualified experts in elephant management. They didn't need the go-daddy team to go in at night and shoot blind in the dark.

#28 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

Fake Schlits. I've developed a liking for it even though it is fake. Go figure. I have yet to even see Yeungling for purchase in NOLA. But I will continue to hunt for it.
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#29 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

So because he destroys an animal that was destroying a food source for starving people, he is a bad guy. Because said starving people get to eat the animal, it's not wasted or collected as a trophy, he's still a bad guy? What world do you live in where feeding starving people by killing an animal in a humane way is morally rehensible? Do you not eat meat? Cause if you do, you're simply creating some fictional barrier where you don't have to think of the reality that someone else is slaughtering cows, chickens and pigs so you can receive a nice, plastic wrapped package at your local store.

Killing animals that are at risk of extinction, I agree is wrong. But killing overpopulated animals, such as the white-tail deer, even for sport, is much more appropriate and just in my book then simply allowing them to starve. We have removed the other predators that attack and rip deer apart and consume them while still alive. And I'm sure you'd be opposed to allowing wolves to return to now populated areas. As soon as one killed your cat or dog, you'd be asking for someone else to remove the problem. Nothing in that video was offensive to any rational person. People need to eat, and part of our diet are other animals. Nothing graphic or showing the elephant suffer was exposed to the viewer.

The next time you drive through McDonalds, Taco Bell or pick up some frozen steaks at Kroger, remember that days earlier someone else clubbed, shot or staked your meal in the head and stripped the meat off their bones.

randy, randy, randy, this guy did kill an animal that is endangered. to use the excuse it was a "problem" with the locals? I am sure people experienced enough could have tranquilized it and removed it many miles away. this killing is way different than hunting elk or deer. go daddy CEO is an ass to shoot an elephant. with his money he could have helped that village far more than just letting them have the scraps to eat of his trophy kill. I will never use go daddy again.

#30 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

go daddy CEO is an ass to shoot an elephant. with his money he could have helped that village far more than just letting them have the scraps to eat of his trophy kill. I will never use go daddy again.

Excellent point, if he was so concerned about the welfare of the locals he could have shipped in some food, and helped protect the farmer's fields.

I'd also add I have never heard of people eating elephant until I'd seen and heard of a few places in the US serving "exotic" meats. It just isn't done. There are a few animals considered special, or sacred, and people there just don't eat them. Elephant, rhino, lion, cheetah, and leopard especially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users