11 replies to this topic

#1 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've decided to splurge and buy a pig and a keg for my family during my R&R in two weeks. I've never roasted my own pig, but love to learn new things. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing so and would share their advice?
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#2 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

I did one years ago with some friends. If you buy it on the hoof, don't kill it before you bleed it... hit it with a sledge in the head, and then cut the throat. You'll need a 55 gallon drum to boil the thing before roasting. Build a fire around the drum; get the water hot, and drop him in. We let him boil for about an hour then skinned him. After that, he roasted in a big ass smoker(that we rented), I'm thinking for about 20 hours. It was about 20 years ago, so the memory fades, but it was one hell of a party. We went through 45 kegs that weekend. Live music, and lots of skimply dressed hot girls.

#3 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

I have no problem doing a live pig, but it is my understanding that it's not exactly pig season, whatever that means. I found a couple places that will send a frozen one for a couple hundred bucks. Figuring a way to cook the bitch is going to require some of my redneck west virgina heritage.

#4 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

If you are anywhere near a large city, you should be able to rent a smoker. If not, dig a pit and make a spit. Just plan on spending a long time there cooking and stoking.

#5 Tatiana Kudrin

Tatiana Kudrin

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

the only way ya can cook it, me thinks, is this

Posted Image

:D

I found a couple places that will send a frozen one for a couple hundred bucks.

thank god. sorry but i hate the idea of you or anyone else doing a pig as you say. that may sound stupid cuz i eat meat but frozen meat sounds more okay.
part of that clique

#6 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

I can't even kill a lobster let alone a pig.
You Commie, Homo Loving Sons of Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Figuring a way to cook the bitch is going to require some of my redneck west virgina heritage.

It's always good to keep some of that on reserve...
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#8 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

I found a local farmer who can hook me up. I always try to keep it local when I can (at least when I can afford it). I think I'm going to create a roaster out of cinder blocks and use chainlink fencing to hold the pig above the charcoal. That seems to be a common method of cooking. Going to have about 25 people over, so I think a 50-60lb pig should do just fine.

#9 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Get a few pieces of tin roof to put over the top and it should work fine, though, turning it might be a problem. I would build a spit into the design(a few pieces of re-bar should work). When you "said" frozen, I started thinking... you would play hell thawing the thing. You might get the best buy on one at a stock yard. I'm thinking that when we did ours a neighbor wanted 49 cents, but we got one at the stock yard for just over 40. How much are they now... $1.00?

#10 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

... I think a 50-60lb pig should do just fine.

That is a piglet. You will probably have to buy from a farmer to find one that size.

#11 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

How many peeps are you feeding?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#12 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

my bro does that every year...we did and lamb and a pig last summer..but we usually rent the equipment, electric turning spit..and hire one of the old european guys from down the block by my brothers house to watch the heat and fuel suppy...effing delicious

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users