48 replies to this topic

#16 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

Not content with tormenting a Buffalo area teen into suicide, a pack of high school bullies heartlessly taunted the boy's sister and pals the night of his wake, his parents say. Alyssa Rodemeyer, 16, whose brother Jamey, 14, was found dead of a suicide Sept. 18, was cruelly hectored at her homecoming dance by the twisted teens who had mercilessly bullied her brother for being gay, their mother, Tracy Rodemeyer, told NBC's "Today" Show Tuesday. Rodemeyer said she had hoped the dance, held on the night of Jamey's wake, would help take Alyssa's mind off her brother's tragic fate. But the night turned nasty during a song by Lady Gaga, Jamey's favorite singer. "She was having a great time, and all of a sudden a Lady Gaga song came on, and they all started chanting for Jamey, all of his friends," Tracy Rodemeyer told NBC. "Then the bullies that put him into this situation started chanting, 'You're better off dead!' and 'We're glad you're dead!' and things like that," the furious mother said. Alyssa came home in tears, her mom said. "It was supposed to be a time for her to grieve and have fun with her friends, and it turned into bullying even after he's gone," Rodemeyer said. Tim Rodemeyer, Jamey's dad, said he couldn't grasp the bullies' spitefulness. "They have no heart," he said. Jamey Rodemeyer's death has gained national attention after it was discovered that the Williamsville, N.Y., native recorded anti-bullying videos to support gay teens. Lady Gaga dedicated a song to his memory at a concert in Las Vegas last Saturday. "Jamey, I know you're up there looking at us, and you're not a victim. You're a lesson to all of us," the star said, as a picture of the teen flashed above her on a screen.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#17 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:05 AM

What a shame!

#18 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

Those kids should be expelled, right after somebody beats them to a pulp.

#19 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

It makes me worry about society and the direction we're going that we've bred so many kids who lack empathy for others.

#20 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

It makes me worry about society and the direction we're going that we've bred so many kids who lack empathy for others.

That's a rather sweeping statement based on one anecdote.
Show me your dragon magic

#21 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

You also have to look at how much easier it is for use to hear about these things today .

#22 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

You also have to look at how much easier it is for use to hear about these things today .

Yes, I think this is the main point really.
Show me your dragon magic

#23 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Kids are fucking mean as shit. The choose their in-group and out-group and it's just so vicious in spirit. I do think the internet exacerbates this. The picked on kid can't have solace at home...now he has a facebook page where people can post shitty things, etc. It's harder to escape, I would imagine. I'm also unsure about the solution. I've never really been big on "hate crime" legislation or things of that sort, as they only come into play after the fact, meaning that the kid is already dead or whatnot. In general, I think that teachers need to intervene more, but parents need to also not defend their precious little, "he could never do anything wrong" shit kids.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#24 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

In general, I think that teachers need to intervene more, but parents need to also not defend their precious little, "he could never do anything wrong" shit kids.

This is what I never understood. When the kids were younger, and there was an incident, I'd always ask "Did you do this? Tell me the truth." I'd never jump up to their defense and demand it's all horseshit. 9/10 times my kid did something they should not have and I either talked to them about it or handed out some sort of punishment.

#25 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

I tell you what I see often (not always) is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The reason those kids don't get a kick in the arse from the parents is because the parents are/were bullies themselves.

#26 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

That's a rather sweeping statement based on one anecdote.

I didn't base that comment on just this one anecdote. I see far more young people who seem to lack empathy for others than I saw 10, 20 or 30 years ago. What I should have said to clarify myself was: "Incidents like this one make me worry about society and the direction we're going that we've bred so many kids who lack empathy for others."

#27 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

I didn't base that comment on just this one anecdote. I see far more young people who seem to lack empathy for others than I saw 10, 20 or 30 years ago. What I should have said to clarify myself was: "Incidents like this one make me worry about society and the direction we're going that we've bred so many kids who lack empathy for others."

I think you are absolutely correct WM. People have shielded their kids from reality for the last few years in the interests of protecting them, and the end result is that many kids are blissfully ignorant of some of the harsher realities of life. I'm not suggesting that they be exposed to everything, no holds barred, but they live in the world, they should see it warts and all. And I think that goes along with understanding consequences too. I can tell you in the world of my kids peers, there is not much real discussion regarding serious consequences. People find it too awkward to discuss with their kids, so they just shield them from it. Once they are older teenagers are under the influence of their peers, it's a bit too late for a crash-course in compassion.

#28 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

To Randall Flagg, this is why:

JAMEY RODEMEYER, 14-YEAR-OLD BOY, COMMITS SUICIDE AFTER GAY BULLYING, PARENTS CARRY ON MESSAGE

Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old boy from Williamsville, NY, took his life Sunday after what his parents claim was years of bullying because of struggles with his sexuality.

His parents, Tracy and Tim Rodemeyer, say that Jamey faced bullies for years, though things intensified in middle school, according to NBC 2. Jamey recently became a freshman at Williamsville North High School.

In the wake of their loss, the Rodemeyers hope to carry on a message of anti-bullying and acceptance. "To the kids who are bullying they have to realize that words are very powerful and what you think is just fun and games isn't to some people, and you are destroying a lot of lives," Jamey's father told WIVB.

Tracy Rodemeyer misses her son, but hopes the loss can still be used to teach a message of tolerance. "It took him away from our family way too early and we're just convinced that he had a purpose on this planet and it was to touch as many people as he could," she told NBC 2.

According to NBC, the Rodemeyers had gone to the school about the problem in the past. Jamey even sought counseling to learn to deal with the problem, but it seems it wasn't enough.

While they say their son seemed happy in the days leading up to the tragedy, his "It Gets Better" YouTube posting from May includes details about how intense the bullying was.

Through it all, Jamey remained outwardly optimistic. “That's all you have to do. Just love yourself and you're set. And I promise you, it'll get better,” he said in the video, which you can see in full below.

Gay bullying has been gaining increasing attention in the media, as a number of tragedies has brought the issue into the spotlight. Earlier this month the California State Senate passed "Seth's Law" a measure designed to curb anti-gay bullying in schools.

Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or visit stopbullying.gov.

Jamey's YouTube Posting:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pb1CaGMdWk[/url]

http://www.huffingto...g_n_972023.html

#29 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

I think the reality is that many people see a gay kid commit suicide, and they don't see the correlation between that and bullying, they see a kid that they perceive as "weak". The reason for that is that people refuse to accept any responsibility for culpability. Anyone who has uttered slurs about or against gay people shoulders responsibility, be it big or small, every time a gay kid commits suicide. If we as a community do not intervene every time we hear bigotry, this will persist, and kids will think it's okay to do it too.

#30 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think the reality is that many people see a gay kid commit suicide, and they don't see the correlation between that and bullying, they see a kid that they perceive as "weak". The reason for that is that people refuse to accept any responsibility for culpability. Anyone who has uttered slurs about or against gay people shoulders responsibility, be it big or small, every time a gay kid commits suicide. If we as a community do not intervene every time we hear bigotry, this will persist, and kids will think it's okay to do it too.

I totally disagree with you on our statement that anyone who has ever used an alleged gay slur is responsible for the suicide of a gay person. Have I used the words faggot, queer and gay? Yes many times. It's common vernacular in a military environment. They aren't just insults against a homosexual and have other meanings, namely lack of masculinity. But have I ever walked up to a gay person and insulted them using those words as a means for hate, absolutely not. Words only have power when you empower them. And they can have different meanings. Regardless of the moral issue I find in insulting people of a sexual orientation, I do believe in the absolute right to express one's self. Whether or be wearing a swastika or a lady gaga t-shirt. There are more to these issues than just bullying and name calling and as in this case, the student failed to seek adult help to resolve the issue. Reporting the continual torment to an instructor would have resulted in some disciplinary action against the offenders. This isn't a hollywood movie, when kids act up in school it's dealt with, especially in today's overly sensitive society.

I don't think bullying is any more excessive or abnormal today than it ever was. The media just makes it more known to the masses when a tragedy like this occurs. Bullying also led to columbine, but Lady Gaga and the droves of celebrities weren't calling for hate crime legislation when those two kids shot up their school. Hate is an emotion, and people are free to express themself. I don't like bigots anymore than anyone else, but I also don't like people who exploit tragedy to get their PC view of the world put into law.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users