89 replies to this topic

#1 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

I have been considering switching jobs here lately, but I'm the type of person that fears change, cause in my life.. usually I fuck myself and end up in a worse situation.... Has anyone ever changed jobs and it turned out to be a great move?? Current situation: I do home health physical therapy.. Its great, don't get me wrong. I make my own schedule, drive from house to house... usually work bout 6 hours per day... but I drive anywhere from 80-100 miles and it gets tiring. Plus with Winter coming up, that def concerns me. To make a great check, I usually work 6 days per week. I got an offer potentially at a great PT facility. I would work Friday,Saturday,Sunday and I'd be off Mon-Thursday. I work 3 12 hours shifts, they pay u for 40 hours but its every weekend. I can make in the three days, what Im currently working 6 to make. Also, with the 4 days off.. I can PRN or temp work at countless other places a couple days if I want to make extra money or can have 4 days to be lazy or to go in and visit family/friends work on music etc. Sounds pretty easy when i read it to select the new job.. but I worry I'll switch and fucking hate it. So I don't know what to do.
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

#2 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

go for it D! change is always hard even when you don't mind doing it. the way you laid it out, to make the same money in 3 days with out the travel sounds like heaven to me. and 4 days off, people would kill for that. keep in the back of your mind if it does turn out to suck, you will figure out a way to get out of it and "change" again.to something that might suit you better. everything has a down side so even if we could find the exacat thing we want, there would be something even if it is small that would bug us. the last real job I had here on island was pretty much run by us folks that worked there. we were so lax, people didn't do their jobs because it was there job but they did it or not because they either liked you or not. some people would have to ask other people to ask the person to get the shit done Posted Image the lazy people really ragged their feet, some of this crap effected my paycheck, yet the other side of the coin we had a blast, I could truly come and go as I pleased for the most part and no one really bossed you around. do your best to not let the crap get you down, concentrate on the 4 days you will have to do with your life what you want. congrats D

#3 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

That is great advice Hula. Thank you Yeah i couldn't imagine having 4 days to just be free to do whatever. Kinda the best of both worlds when I didn't have a job. I don't really do anything on weekends anyway and here, it is so crowded on weekends, its more stressful and a headache doing stuff anyway.. so Anything I'd do on a weekend, I could just do through the week without the crowds/hassle. My mom and brothers live bout 5 hours away and my current set up, I can never go in and visit. I haven't been into visit in over 6 months and that really bothers me especially since my Mom is getting up in age and my Niece is already 10 years old and I've missed most of her life.
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

You just started didn't you? How long have you been working?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

The company who hired you, how do they contract out the work? Do you know how much they are getting paid by the clients? Or a ballpark?

#6 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Use the Force!!!

#7 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

I've been at current position for 6 months. In my field, it is so in demand, they don't hold job jumping against you as much. Especially since most understand home health is one of those love/hate type of jobs due to the travel, lack of coverage etc. I mean its u and the patient alone in their home which can be a very uneasy situation sometimes.. I had a lady hit on me a few weeks ago and it scared the shit out of me playing the what if she gets offended and calls and lies on me scenario.

Right now I make 31 dollar per visit and 45 cents per mile... So the pay is very inconsistent. when we are loaded, I see around 30 per week... but when we are down in has dropped to as low as 20.

there.. its a straight 40 every week at 27 dollars per hour.. Of course the money I'd save on gas and wear and tear on my car bout comes out the same. Throw in the opportunity to do extra work on the side..

with that, I contact clinics/agencies and tell them I am a PTA available for contract/PRN work.. if they are overloaded or someone is on vacation, they call and ask if i can work. if i can, i go, if i don't want to, i just say i have a prior engagement. u aren't obligated to do anything on the contract work.

There is an agency right now that would pay me 45-50 a visit to do contract work whenever i am available.

#8 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

The company who hired you, how do they contract out the work? Do you know how much they are getting paid by the clients? Or a ballpark?

Place i work now.. they get bout 140 dollars per visit, they pay me 31

#9 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Work for them a little longer, and figure out what the process is to contract you out. Then start your own business and bill 100 a visit. You get a pay raise times 3 and undercut the competition putting you in higher demand.

It's obviously not that easy, you'd probably have to get some type of liability insurance, certifications and meet other licensing requirements with the state, but it would be well worth your time to see what is required.

If you have a skill set that is in demand, and access to the internet, there is no reason you can't be making the bulk of that money instead of them.

#10 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Because of the Baby Bloomers getting older, physical therapy is and will continue to be a growth industry for the next few decades so changing jobs shouldn't be as scary as with some occupations with less stability in the future. That being said, one of the advantages of working in a facility rather than going from home to home is you might actually build a social life with your coworkers so days off might get filled with socializing. Also, the energy at facilities is so much different than with home health therapy where you work alone. You'd be around younger people and probably see a wider variety of medical cases which would keep you from burning out on your profession. The physical therapists at the facility were I go are always talking about the stuff they do together on their off times. I'd say go for this next step up in your field but with the strong advice that you save approximately 6 months worth of living expenses over the first year just in case this new job or your co-workers don't work out and you want to look for another job opening. You could do some temp work with a couple of your 4 days off and building up a rainy day fund really quickly. You'll never be sorry if you always maintain that 6 months nest egg until you're old enough to retire. It's just a great feeling and a good security blanket just knowing it's there even if you never have to touch it.

#11 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

That is great advice Hula. Thank you

Yeah i couldn't imagine having 4 days to just be free to do whatever. Kinda the best of both worlds when I didn't have a job.

I don't really do anything on weekends anyway and here, it is so crowded on weekends, its more stressful and a headache doing stuff anyway.. so Anything I'd do on a weekend, I could just do through the week without the crowds/hassle.

My mom and brothers live bout 5 hours away and my current set up, I can never go in and visit. I haven't been into visit in over 6 months and that really bothers me especially since my Mom is getting up in age and my Niece is already 10 years old and I've missed most of her life.

we have always been in retail or hospitality industry so we have always worked week ends and holidays. way less crowded on off days. the bonus of 4 days off is truly a luxury, in that with two days off you spend one day doing chores that you couldn't get to. the second day you hurry and "relax" so the 3rd day is gravy and the fourth...well wowser. you really can go and spend time with your family. I will soon be on the road to spend some extended time with family. life is short and nothing can replace quality time with people you love.

lol remember all jobs suck in some way and become mundane boring crap, but it sounds to me this opportunity is your reward for all the crap you have been doing. 4 days a week party on Posted Image and call your own. that can incites envy Posted Image

#12 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

I've been at current position for 6 months. In my field, it is so in demand, they don't hold job jumping against you as much. Especially since most understand home health is one of those love/hate type of jobs due to the travel, lack of coverage etc. I mean its u and the patient alone in their home which can be a very uneasy situation sometimes.. I had a lady hit on me a few weeks ago and it scared the shit out of me playing the what if she gets offended and calls and lies on me scenario.

Right now I make 31 dollar per visit and 45 cents per mile... So the pay is very inconsistent. when we are loaded, I see around 30 per week... but when we are down in has dropped to as low as 20.

there.. its a straight 40 every week at 27 dollars per hour.. Of course the money I'd save on gas and wear and tear on my car bout comes out the same. Throw in the opportunity to do extra work on the side..

with that, I contact clinics/agencies and tell them I am a PTA available for contract/PRN work.. if they are overloaded or someone is on vacation, they call and ask if i can work. if i can, i go, if i don't want to, i just say i have a prior engagement. u aren't obligated to do anything on the contract work.

There is an agency right now that would pay me 45-50 a visit to do contract work whenever i am available.

D my MIL is under 24 hour home care. before we were able to set it up with the pros, I did it for 3 months. my hat is off to you. the close quatrers, not being able to leave for days/shifts at a time is grueling. go for as much money as you can get for the least amount of work!

#13 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Work for them a little longer, and figure out what the process is to contract you out. Then start your own business and bill 100 a visit. You get a pay raise times 3 and undercut the competition putting you in higher demand.

It's obviously not that easy, you'd probably have to get some type of liability insurance, certifications and meet other licensing requirements with the state, but it would be well worth your time to see what is required.

If you have a skill set that is in demand, and access to the internet, there is no reason you can't be making the bulk of that money instead of them.

the one fly in the ointment I see with this plan is not having any back up for yourself. when you are your own boss you never really get a day off. unless you wanted to hire people you can only have one client as one person can't spread themselves so thin. the company that takes care of MIL is called "Right at Home", I looked into them. they are a franchise. you do need lots of licenses and permits and money to really start a business.

buying or starting a business is really just buying a job. (at least at the level most average people have money to invest.) a business you have to work it and you bust your butt, not so much some jobs. the only solution to all this work stuff is to win the lottery or to be born rich, so you can take your time in life and find what truly suits you. unfortunately most things that suit don't pay the bills. it's a bitch but nothing is ever easy, if it was everyone would be doing it. life should be way easier than it is. and they say we have a mericiful god Posted Image

#14 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Nobody said it would be easy. But he would have the potential to make a lot more money and eventually hire people. When you are ready to get out, you can then sell the business as opposed to just going on to something else. I'd also disagree with the time off thing. Your time is valuable and you make people respect your time and set it up so you get 1-2 days off every week no matter what. Time management is crucial to any business though I agree. Although really he's still very young in the biz, but it's something I would certainly put on the back burner and consider. Just my two cents.

#15 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

Nobody said it would be easy. But he would have the potential to make a lot more money and eventually hire people. When you are ready to get out, you can then sell the business as opposed to just going on to something else.

Although really he's still very young in the biz, but it's something I would certainly put on the back burner and consider.

Just my two cents.

I agree, when it works it works! nothing like being "the" man ......Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users