9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

A gay high school student in Alice, Texas, says he was kicked off the cheerleading squad and suspended after kissing another male student.

The cheerleader, who wishes to remain anonymous, was caught on a surveillance camera, reports 6 News, which leads him and his family to believe that he was being monitored and targeted because he's gay.

"They never check cameras for anything unless something is stolen," he said. "We would be the ones getting caught because I'm sure we were the only ones, sexual orientation wise, being caught like that."

The cheerleader also stated that public affection is not an uncommon among the students at Alice High School, which he claims is further proof of the discrimination he's facing.

"In this school [kissing] is everywhere, if that were the case, suspending everyone for that, half the school would be suspended," he said.

The student's parents told 6 News that when they met with a school administrator they learned that the school is reviewing the principal's decision to suspended their son and they could expect news next week. The family added that they are prepared to start a fight if their son isn't reinstated on the squad.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1011412.html
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

Everything's bigger in Texas...including bigotry.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

Have any other students been punished for displays of affection? Is there a policy against it?
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#4 MrsBrisby

MrsBrisby

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

Even if there is a rule against affection, a suspension is extreme. Maybe a warning or possibly detention would be more suitable. Suspending him and kicking him off the cheer squad is something else entirely. It seems like prejudice.

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

I find it strange that they "caught" him doing this through a security camera. Getting kicked off the squad seems a bit extreme to say the least. Also I read that another varsity cheerleader is currently pregnant but was not kicked off the squad. [blockquote]Some other parents agreed the boy was being unfairly punished, KRIS reported. They told the station one cheerleader who had a child and another who is currently pregnant are still on the team and have not faced any disciplinary action.[/blockquote] I mean...c'mon now.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#6 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

I didn't catch the part where they said he was kicked off. Yea, sounds pretty blatant to me. Hopefully they resolve it and he's back on the team soon.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#7 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Wasn't this the plot for the season opener of Glee?
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#8 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

Wasn't this the plot for the season opener of Glee?

Posted Image lol

#9 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

I find it strange that they "caught" him doing this through a security camera. Getting kicked off the squad seems a bit extreme to say the least. Also I read that another varsity cheerleader is currently pregnant but was not kicked off the squad.

[blockquote]Some other parents agreed the boy was being unfairly punished, KRIS reported. They told the station one cheerleader who had a child and another who is currently pregnant are still on the team and have not faced any disciplinary action.[/blockquote]
I mean...c'mon now.

amazing, like free said everything is bigger in texas including the bigotry

#10 sayJ

sayJ

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

Good to see the kid's parents taking a stand in this issue, Male cheerleader kissing another male leads to suspension. Texas school is generally not on the nation's radar, but because of this the highschool is going through a national scrutiny. School officials have said they are examining the suspension. Sounds like invasion of privacy, without due cause. If I were the cheerleader I would sue for emotional damage. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users