Photo

A Chapter From Charlie And The Chocolate Factory Was Removed Because It Was Too Gruesome!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

There are a lot of weird things that happen in the story, but an entire chapter had to be taken out due to gruesomeness. The book was published in 1964 by Roald Dahl.
There was a chapter that told of a 6th child, Miranda Pike, a schoolmaster’s straight laced daughter. Wonka shows them a candy that lets children develop spots to fake illness and skip school. Miranda and her dad protest the candy and wish to leave the factory. When Miranda and her father storm the room of the factory where the candy is made there is an explosion. Wonka uses them in the candy recipe, saying you always need to use a headmaster or two in the recipe or it wouldn't work.
In the end, the chapter was removed and deemed too gruesome for young audiences.

http://www.omg-facts...iew/Facts/48126

#2 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Wonka's chocolate is people!

I guess the idea of eating people is a little far for a kid's book. Or am I just being to PC? :P
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#3 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

My daughter loves Roald Dahl, most of his stuff is pretty fucked up but in a way that kids love. there aren't many sympathetic adult characters for example. Looks like the chapter is available now

http://www.publisher...e-factory-.html
Show me your dragon magic

#4 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

there aren't many sympathetic adult characters for example.

Danny: The Champion of the World is pretty adult-oriented.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users