#1 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Not sure any of you live close enough, but if you act soon can get tickets. I got mine :)

http://www.thedailyshow.com/tickets
Show me your dragon magic

#2 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Damn, I'd love to do that. I'm guessing they do not usually offer tickets online like this???
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#3 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

I think they always offer them like that but you have to be lucky to get in when they come available. Was awake early and saw it on twitter

#4 Whistlers Momma

Whistlers Momma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I love that show and Jon Stewart.

#5 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Going on Tuesday. Should be fun if the world economy collapses tomorrow after the Greece elections....

#6 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I haven't actually watched the show for months, is it still good :) Looks like the guest is Colin Powell

#7 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I can't read. It's Marco Rubio, Powell was last week.

#8 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Rubio, haha. Should still be good. Make sure to where your www.crasscommunication shirt, heh heh

#9 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Just got out, lots of fun. Rubio cancelled, Denis Leary instead. More later

#10 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I was watching last night and wondered if you got in! That's a MUCH BETTER trade off imo.

Yes, you have to tell us how the show is from start to finish, I'm very curious.

In other news I just found out that Obama is speaking at HCC in Tampa Friday. Tix became available today from 5-9 pm at four locations. They come available again tomorrow (if there is any left) at 10 am. Fuckin' blows! Maybe tomorrow I'll get tickets, but highly doubt it.

#11 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

ok, home now. I never read long posts so I'll try not to make this too long either:

Got there at around 2:15, our friend was already there holding a place in line. They started handing out tickets at 2:30 in batches of 20, we were in the 50s. Told us to come back by 4:30 and the number determines where you stand in line. Went to a bar across the street and watched England beat Ukraine, yay! Came back right at 4:30, was anticipating a long wait outside but they start moving people in straight away. Go through airport style metal detector so takes quite a long time to get everyone in. Think we made it around 5:15.

The place is small, probably around 200 people in total. It's also way over on the west side, not a trendy or cool area at all - lots of auto repair shops, dog boarding, gas station etc. Just a building dedicated to Daily Show, guess I had an image of it being in some building with a bunch of studios in a cool part of town but it makes sense to do it that way.

Not much to do once you're in besides chat. No phones, cameras etc allowed to be out though you could see people literally going cold turkey with iPhones not in hand, some cracked. They have music playing, around 5:45 they started cranking it up with class rock (Stones/Who etc) then around 6 a warmup guy comes out for about 15 minutes, main job is to make sure we cheer and laugh loud enough it seems - he also picks out audience members to talk to (not us). Around 6:15 or so, JS came out to talk to the audience - he took questions from the audience and got a lot of laughs, so can improvise as well as do script stuff.

At around 6:30 he went to his desk and started the show. I was kind of surprised it ran in real time since it was a recording/taping but maybe thats to make sure the audience energy up. There are screens for the audience so you can see any video cuts (news reel etc) in real time as they talk about it. During commercial breaks they crank up music and JS stays at his desk working with writers/scripts to get ready for the next segment.

Most of the show was political stuff which I guess you'll see if you watch it :D The only contributors were Cenac and Oliver.

Leary was there to promote Ice Age 4 and the new Spiderman though they barely talked about that - more about how Jon Stewart whined about sandwiches 20 years ago from what I remember. Also made a big deal (in funny way) about replacing a US senator last minute. When they were done Leary got up to leave as I guess you'll see on the TV broadcast, but then sat down again to for an extended web interview.

That was pretty much it, they came back to do the moment of zen with a Romney thing and JS walked off. Then he came back, told us we could stop clapping since they weren't recording - thanked everyone for coming and hoped we'd come back again sometime and that was it.

The whole thing was incredibly tight like I said, what you see on TV is pretty much what we see - my wife who does videography commented on how amazing the production went, everyone in the crew knew exactly what to do, it basically ran silently with no one on the floor directing anything. I guess they get a lot of practice but very professional.

#12 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I was watching last night and wondered if you got in! That's a MUCH BETTER trade off imo.

Leary was really good, but would have been interesting to see something more confrontational also - curious how the audience would have reacted in that case.

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for typing that up, that was a great read. I'm surprised to hear that it's in that part of town. I envisioned downtown Manhattan or something...silly me.

#14 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for typing that up, that was a great read. I'm surprised to hear that it's in that part of town. I envisioned downtown Manhattan or something...silly me.

It used to be in a cool part of town, but then someone realized that they've had Muslims on the show and found it to be an affront to 9/11 victims, so they had to move it.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#15 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

^ They also used to serve the audience members complimentary pre-show 60 ounce sodas.

#iThing #word
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users