7 replies to this topic

#1 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

According to The Pulse of Radio, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS drummer Chad Smith has joined the new "supergroup" started by former VAN HALEN frontman Sammy Hagar. The band, tentatively called CHICKENFOOT, also features ex-VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani and will enter the studio to begin recording its debut album this summer. Smith told The Pulse of Radio he got involved in the project by owning a home near Hagar's place in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. "If you're in Cabo, of course you know Sammy 'cause he's, you know, he rules the joint," he said. "And he's a really nice man, he's a great guy actually. Somehow he's taken a liking to me, and we played in Vegas, and we played some cover songs — we're a good cover band now. He got pretty excited about it and it actually sounded really good. Him and Joe got together up at his place and they wrote like five things together, and we'll see." Hagar himself spoke about the project in a recent interview, explaining, "We've written eight, nine songs...When people hear the music, it's LED ZEPPELIN. It's as good as that. I know that's a mighty bold statement...We could rival ZEP." Hagar sang with VAN HALEN from 1986 to 1996, and again on a 2004 reunion tour, but left both times after feuding with guitarist Eddie Van Halen. Hagar said recently about his relationship with the troubled guitar hero, "I love Eddie, but we don't love each other. I heard that he got cleaned up again. Hopefully he stays that way and doesn't die, because before we both die we have to be friends again." Chad Smith has been playing with former DEEP PURPLE bassist/singer Glenn Hughes as well as his own jazz combo since the CHILI PEPPERS came off the road last year after touring in support of 2006's "Stadium Arcadium" CD. Sounds interesting...Maybe there is a push to go back to real Rock being made or whatever....
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#2 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Defiantly sound interesting.

#3 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hagar himself spoke about the project in a recent interview, explaining, "We've written eight, nine songs...When people hear the music, it's LED ZEPPELIN. It's as good as that. I know that's a mighty bold statement...We could rival ZEP."

Who needs talent when you have ego?
Show me your dragon magic

#4 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I saw that too....Maybe he means he'll steal music too? I think the sound is just deep and bluesy....A lot of bass and drums?
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#5 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, I saw that too....Maybe he means he'll steal music too? I think the sound is just deep and bluesy....A lot of bass and drums?

No, he means it will be as good as Zep, Sam is renowned for the odd bit of hyperbole. He hasn't done anything I've liked since pre-VH. First two Montrose albums are great and some of his early solo stuff is good too. Van Hagar was shit.
Show me your dragon magic

#6 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Well the stealing music was a joke but if M.A. is involved I'm sure it'll be heavy with base. Hagar wasn't allowed to do much of anything but what the VH bros. let him. I hope MA will be big in his part of the band and I don't think you can go wrong with Joe Satriani. Of course the Red Rocker has a huge ego and wallet as well.

#7 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hagar himself spoke about the project in a recent interview, explaining, "We've written eight, nine songs...When people hear the music, it's LED ZEPPELIN. It's as good as that. I know that's a mighty bold statement...We could rival ZEP."

Who needs talent when you have ego?

Yea that's a big promise, but imagine if it WAS that good? I'd like to see something come along like that again. Unfortunately most super groups disappoint.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#8 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

^^CSN and Y???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users