29 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:26 AM

Oh, man, did you see that moment when that guy did that thing? Don't worry, we did. Read on and get the full story of Oscar's best, worst and otherest. Best Performance: Even with the slightly forced "recession Oscars" conceit, host Hugh Jackman delivered a completely winning song and dance to open the show that totally made us forget they didn't hire a comedian. Showing off both talent and a sly sense of humor, Jackman nailed it. Best Lyric From the Opening Song: "I would swim a sea of human excrement." -- Jackman crooning sweet(?)ly to Kate Winslet Worst Transition: From the goofily good opener—the techno Reader representation was more entertaining than the movie—the show bogged down with that somber bunch of Best Supporting Actresses intoning like they were going to banish the winner to the Forbidden Zone with General Zod. Best Brangelina Quip: Jackman drew our attention to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie before saying, "I don't actually have a joke for them, I'm just contractually required to mention them five times during the show." (Not bad; it's 25 times for us.) Best Present: Copresenters Steve Martin and Tina Fey, who've been funny together on TV and film, delivered a hilarious tribute to writers that made us want to see them make another movie together. Or, you know, read something. Best Reaction: Jolie looking totally charmed by her Kung Fu Panda costar Jack Black, who was onstage presenting with that actress from Friends. Best Twilight Crossover: Rob Pattinson brought that undead charm of his to the Oscars, where it was familiar to Twihards and everyone who's ever had lunch with a Hollywood agent. Best On-Air Design: Whoever thought to put Daniel Craig and Sarah Jessica Parker on stage together. Best Reaction: Seth Rogen and James Franco's half-baked response to the comedies of 2008. Dude, cinematographer Jadocs Kaminsky was so high! Joke Least Likely to Reach the Billion People Around the World: Ben Stiller's crazy, bearded Joaquin Phoenix impersonation was funny, but a little inside considering how few people recognize Stiller anyway. Assault With a Medley Weapon: The top-hat-and-tails number with Beyoncé, Zac Efron and the rest totally summed up the year in movies. And that year was 1936. Most Likely to Spawn a "Who's in Your Five?" Commercial: The Best Supporting actor nomination five-way was like a presidential debate without all the humor. Most Heartbreaking: Heath Ledger's family accepting his award. Biggest Showstopper: Wirewalker Philippe Petit, the absolutely entertaining subject of documentary Man on Wire, balancing an Oscar on his chin while a billion people watched and wondered if it would fall. But for a man who once spent 45 minutes walking between the Twin Towers, well, that's probably no big deal. Best Commercial: Coming in just ahead of the one for the website that helps you earn $5K a month working at home, the Tom Cruise-Jimmy Kimmel bit was funny like a house on fire. Best Make-Good Decision: The loud and fast medley crammed full of action and comic book movies, because let's be honest: These were the best things that Hollywood had to offer last year, and The Dark Knight (not to mention Iron Man) got robbed. Take that, Reader. Worst Make-Good Decision: After that whole medley thing, the movie about the wrinkly old baby beat Dark Knight and Iron Man. Obviously, there is no justice…except that meted out by costumed heroes.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ugh. What was with all the Best Actor/Actress circle jerking (erm...that's circle fisting for the ladies)? Seriously. Brad Pitt...you have shown yourself BLAH BLAH BLAH remarkable character actor BLAH BLAH BLAH zillionaire, but we'll stroke your ego BLAH BLAH BLAH...and where would you like to shoot that load?
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

While I enjoy some pitt flicks the dude is way over rated. And Fuck that Forrest Gump part 2 film of his.

#4 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

While I enjoy some pitt flicks the dude is way over rated. And Fuck that Forrest Gump part 2 film of his.

I like some of his stuff, but he has one of those voices that makes his acting sound incredibly insincere a good deal of the time. I'm sure he can't help it, but if it's a serious movie, I have trouble buying his characters. The exact same thing applies to Nick Cage...but WAY worse.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#5 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Nicholas Cage is probably one of the worst actors out there, he doesn't change no matter what film he's in, it's the same character...SUCKS.....as for Pitt, I liked him in Seven and wish he kinda stuck to that type roll, a young, cocky but doesn't know alot smartass suits him well.
If you stay ready.....you never have to get ready!!!

#6 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

sadly I like Nick Cage..always have. I also didn't get to watch a single minute of the show so by the synopsis up top , I didn't miss a thing..the glutton for punishment in me would have liked to see Heath Ledgers family accept his award..I thought that would have been moving.

#7 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Nicholas Cage is probably one of the worst actors out there, he doesn't change no matter what film he's in, it's the same character...SUCKS.....as for Pitt, I liked him in Seven and wish he kinda stuck to that type roll, a young, cocky but doesn't know alot smartass suits him well.

I thought Cage was great in the 80's and early 90's. Raising Arizona? What a great flick!

Pitt I actually think it quite talented. I kind of wish they'd just make the Oceans movies a series and just pump out one a year.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#8 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

U'll never see another Oceans film with those guys. they all don't want to do it with Bernie passing.

#9 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

I stand corrected, Raising Arizona was great & Amos & Andrew (don't know if you remember that 1 or not) but after seeing him in so many films, he just doesn't have a wide...FUCK I can't even think of the word ( a little buzzed ) I guess acting range, they put him in great films but IMO anyone could play the lead in most things he's done.
If you stay ready.....you never have to get ready!!!

#10 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

City of Angels...still one of my all time fav....Leaving Las Vegas still makes me cry..after all these years and all the times I have seen it..

#11 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

Pitt I actually think it quite talented. I kind of wish they'd just make the Oceans movies a series and just pump out one a year.

Aye, Babel is one of the best movies ever.

As for Nick Cage, I loved him in Honeymoon in Vegas.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#12 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

On a somewhat related note, what does everyone think Sean Penn's best movie ever is? I simply can't decide.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#13 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

Dead men walking ... The film that almost helped him land superman.

#14 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

I personally loved Colors and I Am Sam

#15 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

Dude should have known better then go full retard in I am sam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users