#2 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

Here is a cool interview with Mickey Rourke:

Tell me about the scene where your character, Ram, cuts his face to make the match look more real. I’ve heard you used a real razor and director Darren Aronofsky didn’t know you were going to do it.

Who told you that? Darren? He’s full of shit.

He told me the day he met me, he says, “Do you know what gigging is?” And I say, “No.” And he says, “It’s when [wrestlers] cut themselves with a razor.” And I’m thinking, “Whoa, that’s far out. I don’t know if I could cut myself if I’m not pissed off.”

He said, “I’m going to want you to go all the way with this stuff, even the gigging.”

But he never brought it up after that first conversation. Darren had no idea that I was going to do it, nor did he ask for me to do it. It really hurt because I wasn’t angry. It was really nice because all the real wrestlers in the dressing room gave me a standing ovation for gigging.

Darren has said he always wanted you for The Wrestler. But actually, you were removed from the film for a time, Nicolas Cage was hired, and then he stepped aside and you came back. What happened?

Hey, Nic’s a big movie star. I understood the politics and I’ve got to actually say I was relieved. I thought, I don’t want to fucking go to them dark places that I’d have to go to emotionally, and all of the physical stuff. David, my agent, was devastated.

[After Cage bowed out and Rourke shot the film] I received a text from Nic in Toronto saying, “Congratulations, The Wrestler was always yours to begin with.” Nic really took the high road and was a real gentleman.

Despite your reputation, you have a lot of people who want to see you do well. Tell me about the “special thanks” at the end of the film to Axl Rose.

When I used to box, I used to come out to “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” I know Axl pretty well and I called him. I told him we didn’t have no money, you know. It was a low budget, and Axl was very generous and he pretty much gave us the song and did me a personal favor.

Some time after my brother Joey had died, I went to Madison Square Garden to see Guns N’ Roses. My favorite song is “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” and Axl, out of nowhere, just went, “Hey, Mickey, this is for Joey.” And he just murdered the fucking song. I remember just sitting there shaking like a leaf.

How did the Bruce Springsteen song that plays over the end credits come about?

Springsteen? I just got off the phone with him two minutes before you called!

Okay, we did the movie and realized, once again, we ain’t got no money for music. (Laughs.) But what I did know about six days into shooting is this is gonna be the best movie I ever did and the best performance I ever gave. So I had no qualms about…you know, I’ve known Bruce for twenty odd years and keep in touch with him here and there. So I wrote him a letter and I told him about this and said, “If you ever have any time, could you take a look at it?”

Bruce had just lost two thirty-year members of his group (including Terry, his tour manager). A couple months passed and I was back in Miami and in the middle of the night, I get a phone call from Bruce from Europe. He said, “Hey man, I read the script and I got something in my head that I wrote.”

So then, he was playing again up in the Meadowlands. Darren and him were talking and Bruce had an acoustic guitar and picked it up and played the song for Darren. I’m going, “Fuck, this is cool as shit,” and I heard some of the song. Then a couple of days later he sent me the song, and it was just fucking incredible.

Darren said to Bruce, “Why’d you do this for us?” And Bruce’s answer was, “I’ve known Mickey for a while and I just want to see him back to where he should be.” That just said it all right there. He did it out of love and respect.

All the fucking sacrifice we went through on the movie—working 15-18 hours a day on a shoestring—at the end of the day, what Axl did and what Bruce did, you can’t put a dollar number on it.

More: http://www.thedailyb...resurrection/2/
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#3 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

Again very cool mention. Axl should push to release There was a time or Catcher In The Rye. A new video release (You Tube or on the Gn'R My Space) site of any song, just to keep his name in the press.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

He's getting so much indirect press right now.

#5 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

I agree but they need some direct press as well. I think just Mickey's comment will peak interest and some more people will check out Chinese Democracy. Push the sales up where they should be.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#6 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

I thought "Better" would have been out by now actually.

#7 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

Mick is a good actor , but he has had so many comeback films over the past few years , that get things going for him then he just drops of the planet .

#8 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

I have a lot of respect for the guy. He seems like a normal person rather than some Hollyweirdo.

#9 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

He had that weird time where he went from good looking guy to Hollywood-to-much-surgery-and-fucked-up-my-face-guy. He looks cool again, but still plastic. I always thought he was a great actor and glad to see him "back"

#10 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

He also carries around a small dog all the time. He is a bit odd but I still like him. I think his best film was The Pope of Greenwich Village.

#11 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Dude was awesome in Sin City.

#12 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

wtf happened to my post???

#13 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Mickies little dog ate it!!

#14 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

meh..prob

#15 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:12 PM

Looks like dude could be a bad guy in Iron man 2....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users