7 replies to this topic

#1 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

What's new with the sport? Where is it going?
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#2 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Seems to be many Heavy weights from Europe and Russia.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#3 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

the only pro boxer I know of right now is Oscar De La Hoya....just read something in my son's christmas stuffer Sports Illustrated.... It is one sport that seriously excites me though..I love boxing whenever I get an opportunity to see a match on PPV or reg sports channel...chicks boxing is very cool too!

#4 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

The Golden Boy is done me thinks. His last fight getting KO'd and all. His last 4 out of 5 haven't been great but I do think he beat Mayweather in the decision.

#5 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

Shane Mosley defeats Antonio Margarito by TKO @ 43 seconds into the 9th. round. The 37 yr old Mosley wins the WBA belt by upsetting his 7 yr old opponent. Who beat Miguel Cotto 6 months ago. Mosley's speed was too much for the power punching Margarito. Mosley had the welterweight on his heels the whole fight.

#6 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:57 AM

While I am no huge boxing fan, I always thought it was quite strange how the sport suffered such a massive decline over the past ten years or so. Boxing used to be a massive pop culture event. Hell, even my grandma watched and knew some of the main boxers on the scene. Mike Tyson in his first few years was simply unbeatable. At 9 years old he was beating the shit out of random college guys on the street. No surprise someone like that wound up dominating the sport. His first trainer dying sent him over the edge and he was never the same. If Gus never dies, Tyson in 2009 is still defending the belt in his first title reign. That guy just knew how to harness Tyson's immense street fighting ability and turn him into a legitimate boxer.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#7 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yes and No? It's hard to say. He never really had a guy like Ali, Frazier or Foreman to go up against. Then came Holmes etc.... Larry held that belt a long time. Foreman would have if he didn't quit for all those years. Even in the lighter weights, you had Boom Boom Mancini, Sugar Ray, Hearns, Hagler, Duran.......

#8 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Compare MMA fighters vs. A Pro boxer and this is what you'll get everytime well almost.....

48 year old Ray Mercer btw....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users