#1 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Ground Zero

Have you ever wondered what would happen if a nuclear bomb goes off in your city? With Google's Maps framework and a bit of Javascript, you can see the outcome.
And it does not look good.

Chose anything from a puny ass Hiroshima sized explosion up to a Chixulub sized asteroid impactor.

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/16

#2 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

that is too scarey for my pea brain

#3 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Aah, it is fun! I have another one somewhere that calculates destruction from asteroid impacts. You get to choose the type of impactor(comet, NiFe, chondrite,... ect), velocity, and impact angle. I have destroyed the Earth many times over in an attempt to calculate the maximum sized(kinetic energy) object that doesn't destroy the planet.

#4 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Talk about deep impact....

#5 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

The asteroid 2009 DD45 was discovered the first week of Feb of this year. Last week, it came within 60k miles of Earth. That seems like a long way off, but in astronomical terms, that was right next door. I calculated what would have happened if it had hit above NY city.

For the simulation, I chose parameters that would maximize damage(90° entry, 40km/sec vel. NiFe composition). I don't know what the vel. of the object is, but 40km/sec is possible for a NiFe impactor(though those velocities are more commonly associated with comets). Too, NiFe only comprises about 10% of NEO's, but they with stand the forces of entry better than comets or stonies.

This is the crater that would have been produced if it hit lower Manhattan. About 2300 meters wide by 500 meters deep. There would have been massive destruction.

Posted Image

Give me a few minutes, and I will calculate what will happen if 99942 Apophis smacks the planet on Friday April 13 2036.

#6 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I ran the calculations for Apophis. It is known that if it hits Earth, it will be somewhere off the coast of San Diego. I set the parameters for NiFe, 30km/sec, angle of entry at 60°. I chose it hitting San Diego instead of hitting off the coast(a real possibilty). If it does hit in the ocean, there will be massive tsunamis in the Pacific. It turns out that the crater will be about 18km wide by 1km deep. If it hit San Diego, millions would die if not evacuated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users