"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#32 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Daryl's is a cool site...I'm such a sucker for Private Eyes...those two collabarations with Finger 11 are awesome as well...funny story..they play Family Man on one of the stations I listen to..they say it is Finger 11 doing a remake...now I realize that it is with the Boys AND Finger 11! I have to check to see if they are coming anywhere to my neck of the woods..

#33 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

Historic pairing between Daryl Hall and legendary Motown singer/songwriter Smokey Robinson featured on Live From Daryl's House - August 15

22nd edition of acclaimed web show finds Daryl and Smokey joining together on nine-song set

NEW YORK, August 7, 2009-It's a historic, one-time-only collaboration between two of the pre-eminent singer/songwriters of their time, joining forces on such classics as "Sara Smile," "Tears of a Clown" and "Ooh, Baby Baby."

Daryl Hall's youth was spent as being an integral part of the Sound of Philadelphia, but he had a special feeling for the music of Motown's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer/songwriter Smokey Robinson. Now, the two will join forces in an intimate session that can be shared by everybody on the new, 22nd edition of Live From Daryl's House on Aug. 15 at www.livefromdarylshouse.com.

"This truly is a highlight of my career," said Daryl about the pairing. "Smokey Robinson is one of my heroes as a singer and songwriter, a major influence on my own music from the very start. To be able to join forces on Live from Daryl's House is a real treat."

The two collaborate on a nine-song set which highlights the Smokey Robinson songbook as well as including a pair of Daryl Hall penned hits in "I Can't Go for That" and "Sara Smile." Among the songs Daryl and Smokey tackle are Miracles classics "Tears of a Clown," "Going to a Go-Go" and "Ooh, Baby Baby," as well as Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why," the first single from Robinson's new album, Time Flies When You're Having Fun, coming out Aug. 25 on ROBSO Records/ADA Distribution, featuring special guests Joss Stone, Carlos Santana and India.Arie. Smokey's version of "Don't Know Why" was recently the #1 Most Added song at Urban AC radio.

Smokey was impressed with the experience: "It was absolutely fantastic working with Daryl, T-Bone, Shawn, Zev, Eliot and Everett, knowing before I even got there what top-notch musicians they were. They all proved to be better than their amazing reputations and it was a complete joy for me to work with them."

http://www.livefromd...x.php?page=ep22

#34 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

RollingStone.com: Daryl Hall on His “Oddball” Life in Hall & Oates, Web Series Next month, Hall & Oates will hit the road for a short tour before Daryl Hall returns to work on his latest solo album. Hall, whose jam-session Web series “Live From Daryl’s House” celebrated its year-and-a-half anniversary in May, marked the occasion with a special episode featuring the Doors’ Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek. He recently spoke with RS about the status of Hall & Oates, his opinion on pop and his biggest regrets. Why did you want to do “Daryl’s House”? I’ve been traveling my whole career, which is most of my life. I thought why don’t I bring the world to me for a change? I’m a person who thrives on collaboration, so I said, ‘OK, let’s have guests on with all these different styles of music and let’s be as eclectic as we want to be, both generationally and stylistically.’ We’re on our 18th episode. Every show just blows me away. Who is your dream guest? Maybe Bob Dylan because it would be so fucking weird. Looking at who’s out now, who are you a huge fan of and would like to have on “Daryl’s House”? As far as new people, I hear new people all the time. Any of the Idol people? You know what? I’m not big with the “singing sensations.” If you notice the people that I tend to pick, they’re players as well as singers. They’re not really pop-oriented. They’re more rock, edgy, unique. When you see the Britney Spears types these days, what do you think? That’s got nothing to do with my life. The music has gone in two different directions. You have that direction, and then things like Daryl’s House is another direction. Can I ask you about Gym Class Heroes’ Travis McCoy, your first guest? After this Daryl Hall for President thing that these guys did [the name of one of the Heroes’ summer tours] I obviously was made aware of them. We started talking, hanging out backstage. He really loves music. A lot of rappers don’t have traditional music abilities, he does. Looking back over your career, is there a favorite moment, era? Is there a time when you just felt like you had it all? I never felt like I had it all. In 1985 I had reached a certain point, all those things had happened, like Live Aid, We Are the World, Farm Aid, and I did that thing with the Temptations Live at the Apollo. I had the ability to sort of assess myself in the moment. But most of the time you’re still involved in it. You’re living. It’s the same way with music. I’ve never felt comfortable in the time that I was working. Maybe now I finally have, but in the ’70s I was sort of an oddball. In the ’80s I was definitely an oddball. What’s the current state of Hall & Oates? I think it’s only unclear because I don’t do one thing. John and I work together and we tour together pretty often. We play shows. We play our songs. We have different versions of them. Right now we’re doing what I call an up close and personal tour, we do a sort of acoustic version of our songs. Outside of that we do separate things. I’m very devoted to my solo stuff. I’m doing a solo album that I’m going to start in about a month and obviously I’m doing “Live at Daryl’s House.” I do the occasional Hall & Oates tour or gigs. Are there any regrets from your career? Anything you wish you would have done? There’s a lot of people that I wish I hadn’t of associated myself with. Both John and I came up out of Philadelphia and Philadelphia music is the hotbed of all anybody ever talked about as nefarious in the business. It was the street version of music. It was nasty. It was crookery. It was dog-eat-dog. We moved into the New York scene, which was pretty much the same thing. So we come from a very tough business. The fact that we’ve survived and thrived is a testament to our strength of will and also our ability to bounce back. We’ve been messed with. If I had it to do over, I probably would have chosen my relationships more carefully.

#35 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Tom `T-Bone' Wolk, longtime bass player for Hall & Oates, dies of heart attack at 58 LOS ANGELES - Tom "T-Bone" Wolk, who performed with scores of musicians but was best known as the longtime bass player for the band led by pop-rock stars Daryl Hall and John Oates, has died. He was 58. Wolk died Sunday in New York, hours after completing a recording session with Hall, who was working on a solo album, the duo's manager, Jonathan Wolfson, said Monday. Wolfson said the cause of death was believed to be a heart attack. Wolk had been scheduled to appear Monday night on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" with Hall and Oates. A busy session musician, he appeared on literally scores of recordings with such varied artists as Bette Midler, Billy Joel and Avril Lavigne. He played bass on several of Elvis Costello's recordings, accordion on Robert Palmer's "Heavy Nova" and guitar on Carly Simon's "Coming Around Again." He was also the bass player in NBC's "Saturday Night Live" house band from 1986 to 1992 when it was led by guitarist G.E. Smith. On his Web site, Wolk described himself as "that guy with the hat" who people had seen performing with Hall & Oates since 1981. In later years he also became the band's music director. "Daryl used to refer to him as the ampersand in Hall & Oates," said Wolfson, adding both members of the duo were crushed by the loss. "It's not if I will go on, but how," Hall said in a statement. "T-Bone was one of the most sensitive and good human beings that I have ever known." Oates called him "peerless." "Any instrument that he touched resonated with a sensitivity and skill level that I have never experienced while playing with any other musician," Oates said. "He possessed an encyclopedic knowledge of styles and musical history which he referenced to support all the artists that he played with over the years. "He became our band's musical director over time, leading by example and by the deference and respect that everyone who played alongside him so rightfully accorded him. He made everyone he played with better." Wolk grew up in the New York City suburb of Yonkers. His family played the accordion, he told Guitar Digest in 2003, and he won a statewide championship on the instrument at age 12. But it was seeing the Beatles perform on television's "Ed Sullivan Show" in 1964, he said, that led him to talk his father into buying him an electric guitar. He studied art briefly after graduating high school, then turned his full attention to music. Wolfson said information on funeral arrangements and survivors was pending.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users