#526 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

We have similar temperatures but schools are open - of course we are better equipped here. They did close for snow last Friday.

Show me your dragon magic

#527 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Kids standing at bus stops is what I would worry about.  We know its serious weather when IPS (Indianapolis Public Schools) close.  They rarely do because so many kids come from poor families that school is not just education but a couple of meals.

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#528 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

010814-toon-luckovich-ed.jpg

#529 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

1525015_10151893664681219_338419164_n.pn

#530 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Windchill of -40 since Monday here in Oshawa :( 

"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#531 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

^^  Wow, and I thought I was cold!!

#532 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Saw this posted on FB, and thought it was fascinating.  From a couple years ago.  

"An ice wave, like the one that hit Minnesota residents, is caused by high winds --up to 30 and 40 mph -- and spring thaw, which produced massive waves as the ice on top of the water was blown ashore.

"On one side of the country, the West, we've got 80, 90s and 100s today," ABC News Weather Anchor Sam Champion explained. "On part of the country we've got these cold wind chills, 20s 30s and 40s and because this cold air has been sitting right here around the lakes ... the ice hasn't had a chance to melt. So that ice now picked up by winds is blowing on shore." "  http://www.isciencet...aused-mille.htm

#533 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Fuck it's cold in Hotlanta!

#534 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

It's an absolute nightmare here today. The meteorologists grossly underestimated the snow, and with only a handful of snow plows for a city this size, chaos is an understatement. The high school buses were flat out cancelled, and the middle school buses have been on the road for 4 1/2 hours, and the kids still aren't home. A gigantic clusterfuck.

#535 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

I would have stayed home, fuck that shit. 

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#536 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I keep hearing that Atlanta is all fucked up, but what I've read suggests 2.5 inches of snow? 

Shit, get a shovel...that's hardly anything.  I've personally shoveled my driveway seven times this year and I'd bet that five or six of those involved 2.5 inches or more.  Sometimes I feel like we're total pansies around here, knowing that areas around the Great Lakes (Erie/Buffalo, etc.) get a ton more snow than we do.  But every time something freezes in the South and doesn't get plopped straight into a mint julep, they act like it's the End of Times.  All you have to do is drive slowly and carefully and 2.5 inches will not stop you from getting home.

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#537 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Not much snow, but it turned to ice immediately, and they did not sand or salt the roads. People don't know how to drive in the snow here, but driving on pure ice is difficult for anyone. The majority of the gridlock was caused by semis. I'd guess the vast majority of truck drivers are well experienced in winter driving.

Metro population of 8.5 million,  handful of plows, and no public transportation = clusterfuck.

By the way many people are still not home, some kids are on school buses 28 hours later.

#538 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

One of the locals news guys:

"For all you Yankees laughing at GA for being shut down by two inches of snow, let's talk about what really happened: At noon, it started snowing. All of the schools, at once, decided to close without any advance notice around 1:30. It was basically, "Hey, we're closed now! come get your kids!" At the same time, most businesses closed. So that's roughly 5 million people who all got on the roads at the same time, which clearly caused a massive traffic jam. Then, while they're out there, the snow gets worse, turns into slush, and then, eventually, full-on sheets of ice. And, while everyone was in gridlock, they couldn't reload the salt trucks because the gridlock was too thick to navigate back to the salt storage areas (we have 30 trucks & 40 plows in ATL proper), so the ice situation got worse and worse, until short trips became hours-long and some folks ditched their cars and walked. And, there's a good number of kids and staff spending the night at the schools tonight because there's too much ice for the buses to run safely to take them home. Also, GADOT is saying there were around 940 major accidents today.

It was like a gym teach blew a whistle and said, "GO!!!!" and everyone in Atlanta jumped in their cars and started driving."

#539 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

By the way many people are still not home, some kids are on school buses 28 hours later.

Yea, that's a nightmare. 

#540 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

I don't give a shit what kind of vehicle you are driving. Once the roads are covered in ice...fuggetaboutit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users