18 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

Everything pertaining to the economy here.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#2 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Former chief IMF economist : the finance industry

Quote:

The crash has laid bare many unpleasant truths about the United States. One of the most alarming, says a former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, is that the finance industry has effectively captured our government—a state of affairs that more typically describes emerging markets, and is at the center of many emerging-market crises. If the IMF’s staff could speak freely about the U.S., it would tell us what it tells all countries in this situation: recovery will fail unless we break the financial oligarchy that is blocking essential reform. And if we are to prevent a true depression, we’re running out of time.

by Simon Johnson

One thing you learn rather quickly when working at the International Monetary Fund is that no one is ever very happy to see you. Typically, your “clients” come in only after private capital has abandoned them, after regional trading-bloc partners have been unable to throw a strong enough lifeline, after last-ditch attempts to borrow from powerful friends like China or the European Union have fallen through. You’re never at the top of anyone’s dance card.
Squeezing the oligarchs, though, is seldom the strategy of choice among emerging-market governments. Quite the contrary: at the outset of the crisis, the oligarchs are usually among the first to get extra help from the government, such as preferential access to foreign currency, or maybe a nice tax break, or—here’s a classic Kremlin bailout technique—the assumption of private debt obligations by the government.
In a financial panic, the government must respond with both speed and overwhelming force. The root problem is uncertainty—in our case, uncertainty about whether the major banks have sufficient assets to cover their liabilities. Half measures combined with wishful thinking and a wait-and-see attitude cannot overcome this uncertainty. And the longer the response takes, the longer the uncertainty will stymie the flow of credit, sap consumer confidence, and cripple the economy—ultimately making the problem much harder to solve. Yet the principal characteristics of the government’s response to the financial crisis have been delay, lack of transparency, and an unwillingness to upset the financial sector.
This, in turn, was followed by additional bailouts for Citigroup, AIG, Bank of America, Citigroup (again), and AIG (again).

Some of these deals may have been reasonable responses to the immediate situation. But it was never clear (and still isn’t) what combination of interests was being served, and how. Treasury and the Fed did not act according to any publicly articulated principles, but just worked out a transaction and claimed it was the best that could be done under the circumstances. This was late-night, backroom dealing, pure and simple.
Even leaving aside fairness to taxpayers, the government’s velvet-glove approach with the banks is deeply troubling, for one simple reason: it is inadequate to change the behavior of a financial sector accustomed to doing business on its own terms, at a time when that behavior must change.
To break this cycle, the government must force the banks to acknowledge the scale of their problems. As the IMF understands (and as the U.S. government itself has insisted to multiple emerging-market countries in the past), the most direct way to do this is nationalization. Instead, Treasury is trying to negotiate bailouts bank by bank, and behaving as if the banks hold all the cards—contorting the terms of each deal to minimize government ownership while forswearing government influence over bank strategy or operations. Under these conditions, cleaning up bank balance sheets is impossible.

Nationalization would not imply permanent state ownership. The IMF’s advice would be, essentially: scale up the standard Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation process. An FDIC “intervention” is basically a government-managed bankruptcy procedure for banks. It would allow the government to wipe out bank shareholders, replace failed management, clean up the balance sheets, and then sell the banks back to the private sector. The main advantage is immediate recognition of the problem so that it can be solved before it grows worse.
...And the advice from the IMF on this front would again be simple: break the oligarchy.

Oversize institutions disproportionately influence public policy; the major banks we have today draw much of their power from being too big to fail.
The conventional wisdom among the elite is still that the current slump “cannot be as bad as the Great Depression.” This view is wrong. What we face now could, in fact, be worse than the Great Depression—because the world is now so much more interconnected and because the banking sector is now so big. We face a synchronized downturn in almost all countries, a weakening of confidence among individuals and firms, and major problems for government finances. If our leadership wakes up to the potential consequences, we may yet see dramatic action on the banking system and a breaking of the old elite. Let us hope it is not then too late.

http://www.theatlant...0905/imf-advice

#3 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

TRIANGLES!
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

hahaha, first big laugh today thanks.

#5 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

hahaha, first big laugh today thanks.

Well, you got me with the Cleveland vid, which I'm certain to watch for a third time very shortly.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#6 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Looks like Chrysler is headed towards Chapter eleven...

#7 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

What happened in the first 10? I have 27 dollars in my pocket.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#8 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

First ten? They built shitty cars for 30 years.

#9 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

the first ten chapters were pulled for copyright violations.

#10 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

Oooooopsie

#11 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

I had a Plymouth Duster and a Dodge Dart....We also had 2 Town and Countries.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#12 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

I had a Buick ten years ago that drove out nice (just a big couch with wheels man) but always stalled and was effin dangerous. Also full trannie rebuild by 80k. Piece of shit I think. I'm Japanese and German only these days, fuck the dumb shit! I do like Town cars, but they are simply too big. The build quality on those cars are top notch though, probably the best they have ever built. I've seen 'em with close to 400k with original engine/trannie. Every now and then I'll rent one for a trip and they are fun. Styling is a little bland, but for the price, you can not beat that shit. Rented a few actually, one to Miami, the other in Austin and one in Vegas (totally pimp, haha)

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

In other news my RUTH stock is up 120%!!! =)

#14 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Read something a while back that said Candy companies seem to do well in recession.

#15 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

My stable of cars now currently consists of 1. 2008 GMC Acadia, 2. 2008 Mazda CX-9, 3. 2005 Chevy Cobalt, 4. 1998 Toyota Camry.....Misc....1. 1969 Ford 351c.i. Cleveland 4 Bolt main fully balanced and blueprinted (factory) among other 69 Fastback parts 2.1968 Chevy 327c.i. .30 over bored balanced and blueprinted, Fireball solid lifter cam and a small roller lifter cam with rocker rollers, Fuelie Heads closed chambered (rare find) but I have an open chambered set too, Holley manifold with a 650 and an extra 750 Holley 4 barrel double pumper carburetors and tons of jets. MSD Dual ignition box among other stuff.... Someday I hope to put the Cleveland in a 69 Mustang Fastback II and the 327 can be put in any G.M. but I hope to put it in a 69 RS Camaro or a 73 or 79 Z-28, with a 4:11 or 3.73 rear and ST-10 tranny with a racing bell housing that I do have. Although I may have to chain the motor to the frame.... It would be reality if the market didn't crap out....Sigh....The 327 before it was broken down and rebuilt, I had hit over 9 grand on the tach w/o a problem and spun the 60's in all 4 gears. I once blew the doors off a vette on the pkwy to a preppy dudes surprise. I pulled over and so did he and he asked what I had in the car and I said I'll let you see it for the 20.00 worth of Cam II fuel I wasted with him. He gave me the 20 bucks and offered to buy the motor. I said he didn't have enough, got in and drove away. Maybe I should have sold him the motor..It was probably worth 10K 20 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users