41 replies to this topic

#16 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

I'd think that they agreed she would throw him under the bus when he got shipped off. That way she can try her damnedest to hold on to the moola. I'd be sure they have money in off shore accounts too.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#17 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

I saw on the news the poor old lady can't even go to her hair salon now. Oh BOO HOO!
You Commie, Homo Loving Sons of Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

Since when did white collar crime become less evil than regular old crime?

I think that there is a huge difference between someone that steals your money, and someone that sticks a gun in your face, takes your money, and then kills you.

The whole point that I was trying to make is that his sentence will be over turned on appeal. His punishment was disproportional. It is a violation of his Eighth Amendment rights. He probably won't appeal because it is academic, anyway, and the end result will be the same, i.e., life in prison.

Don't get me wrong: I am not championing the cause of a thief(I think that he is a scumbag), but that of the Constitution.

#19 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Since when did white collar crime become less evil than regular old crime?

I think that there is a huge difference between someone that steals your money, and someone that sticks a gun in your face, takes your money, and then kills you.

The whole point that I was trying to make is that his sentence will be over turned on appeal. His punishment was disproportional. It is a violation of his Eighth Amendment rights. He probably won't appeal because it is academic, anyway, and the end result will be the same, i.e., life in prison.

Don't get me wrong: I am not championing the cause of a thief(I think that he is a scumbag), but that of the Constitution.

This fell within the sentencing guidelines, so I wouldn't be so sure. Think of it this way...what if he got 6 months for every person/organization he defrauded? We'd think that was pretty light, yet it would add up to far less than 150 years, I'm guessing.

But I agree with you about hte importance of equal application of law...we can begin by doing away with mandatory minimums for minor drug offenses (e.g. use and/or possession).
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#20 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

So let me get this straight... If some half retarded crackhead shoots you in the face and kills you, that is more evil than a smart and calculating man defrauding you (meaning 1000's), ruining your life, your future, etc.?

#21 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Yes, by far! I can't see how you can find a moral equivalence between murder and thievery. Historically, the two have never been equal.

Here is some reading:

http://plato.stanfor...py?query=morals

#22 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

I'm not big on philosophy and frankly they should have sentenced him to 1500 years as well as anyone around him that knew what he was doing. This type of greed is the epitome of pure evil.

#23 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:32 PM

I'm sure lots of his clients have/will kill themselves because of his fraud, so he is indeed the catalyst for several deaths.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#24 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

You can destroy one's life by more then just murdering them.

#25 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hell, read Othello.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#26 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

How many people did he defraud/ruin?

#27 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

I posted a link to the 162 page document on the previous page. I didn't take the time to count. Besides, I think the figure would be impossible to count. Due to this, colleges have lost money, one of the charities I read was closing it's doors, there were a few pension funds on there, not to mention all the single private investors. So there are countless people NOT on the list who are affected in some way. To me, that is evil on a grand scale.

#28 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

I posted a link to the 162 page document on the previous page. I didn't take the time to count.

Besides, I think the figure would be impossible to count. Due to this, colleges have lost money, one of the charities I read was closing it's doors, there were a few pension funds on there, not to mention all the single private investors. So there are countless people NOT on the list who are affected in some way.

To me, that is evil on a grand scale.

I didn't actually think that far. I was thinking more along the lines of personal investors being left with nothing at the finish line. But obviously it is much more intricate and far reaching than that.

#29 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Maybe your matress is the safest place for your cash afterall..

#30 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Well there is that lady who had a million stashed away inside her mattress and it ended up at the dump.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users